Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target REDcard question

tag
junojunowhat
Established Member

Target REDcard question

Does anyone know if Target does a HP for the Debit REDcard? 

AmEx Hilton HHonors - $18,000 | Discover It - $6,500 | Chase Freedom - $2,000 | BoA Cash Rewards - $1,500 | PayPal Credit - $1,797
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

Re: Target REDcard question

@junojunowhat wrote:

The cashier told me no...but I am still not sure that's correct.

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 2 of 18
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

I did not see an inquiry of any sort from Target for the debit card.

I also don't remember seeing an inquiry for the Paypal debit cards (which act about the same).

I would guess they verify address info and valid bank info or something along those lines, and then if your charges don't get through you get cancelled. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 3 of 18
junojunowhat
Established Member

@NoAnchoviesPlease wrote:

I did not see an inquiry of any sort from Target for the debit card.

I also don't remember seeing an inquiry for the Paypal debit cards (which act about the same).

I would guess they verify address info and valid bank info or something along those lines, and then if your charges don't get through you get cancelled. 

Thanks

AmEx Hilton HHonors - $18,000 | Discover It - $6,500 | Chase Freedom - $2,000 | BoA Cash Rewards - $1,500 | PayPal Credit - $1,797
Message 4 of 18
asulaw
Established Member

The Debit REDcard does NOT do a HP. Though, it needs a SSN to verify your identity, and if for some reason something happens and they ned verification. But make sure the cashier is doing the DEBIT CARD. I have seen people accidently sign people up for the credit card instead of the debit card and force a HP and give them a new line of credit without realizing.

Wells Fargo Student - $2,300 / Discover It - $2,000 / Chase Slate - $1,500 / Marriott Premier Rewards - $5,000 / Citi ThankYou Preferred - $2,000 / AMEX TrueEarnings - $1,200 / Target RedCard - $300

Total CL: $14,300
Util: 28%
Message 5 of 18
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Does Target still offer the Red card VISA?

Anyway to save yourself the trouble of getting the incorrect card, I'd apply online. Target has separate applications up on their site for the cards.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 6 of 18
TrulyyBlessed
Regular Contributor

@junojunowhat wrote:

Hey,

No HP's for the debit version and you still get the 5% off. Go for it!

Starting Score: Nov. 2012 585
Current Score: EQ 733 EX 777 TU 743 Goal Score: 750+

Message 7 of 18
Jess21
Frequent Contributor

it is not a  hard pull.  I was wondering why they needed my ss too but it is just for ID purposes.  I applied online.  i love target and I probably shouldnt have applied for nothing that comes from them lol but it gives me free shipping on online purchases and 5% off all purchases lol

Equifax: 676 (myfico) Experian: 683(myfico) TransUnion: 689 (Barclays)

Current Goal: 700
Message 8 of 18
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

Yes, make sure you're applying for the right card. The debit card asks for a voided check, credit card should not. 

As an aside, the debit card app does say that you allow them to obtain "consumer reports" from "consumer reporting agencies" and they may report your Debit Card performance to "consumer reporting agencies." Doesn't mean they absolutely will, but you can't complain (much) if they do. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 9 of 18
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

Does Target still offer the Red card VISA?

Anyway to save yourself the trouble of getting the incorrect card, I'd apply online. Target has separate applications up on their site for the cards.

The Target Visa was issued when the accounts were with 'Target National Bank". AS TD took over the accounts, they stopped issuing new Visas with the Target program, but current cardholders can retain their accounts.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.