cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Red Card CLI Factors: Confidential and Can't Disclose?

tag
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Target Red Card CLI Factors: Confidential and Can't Disclose?

I have to agree with wolf and countingpennies.  Hold onto it for a little longer and lets see how TD Bank is with the cards.

Message 21 of 27
chasmith
Valued Contributor

I've seen all the posts about low Target limits and no CLI since joining this forum.  So I didn't even try Target, but took their RedCard debit card which is linked to my checking account, still gets the benefits (5% discount, free shipping of furniture...).

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 27
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

I had a Red Card from 1999 with a $1,000 limit. I stopped using it for quite some time, and it was closed a few years ago. I applied for a new Red Card in September 2006 and got a $600 limit. :/ I've used it heavily, and paid it in full every month, sometimes multiple times per month, since the limit is so low. I haven't gotten a single CLI, of course. The card is worthwhile to me, so I'm not going to close it, but it's annoying to have to manage the limit so carefully. I'd REALLY like a CLI, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 23 of 27
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

They probably realized, after 2006, that handing out larger limits like candy was a bad idea and have become a bit more reserved in their lending.  Also, they apparently had an issue tracking down card holders if they were giving out three and four cards to a single person.

Eeeither waaay, I have a Red Card because I can't seem to leave Target without dropping at least $100 on seasonal housewares.  I opted to not get the debit card because I'm a bit OCD when it comes to funds pending on my checking account and I have heard it takes a couple days to clear. 

That would just drive me insane.

Message 24 of 27
CS800
Super Contributor

I think it's a good card if you can get the full effect of the instant 5%.

Think of sales tax added to your purchase. In MA the sales tax is 6.25% so the 5% does cancel the sales tax a bit but I shop in NH

Sales tax in NH = 0 % so i get the full 5% discount

Their CL's are not hte best. I started with $500 less that a year ago, charged some stuffs on the card and PIF and in January they gave me a CLI to $900. So with no AF and the 5%, that;s sufficient for me.

I don't thnk I will ever spend more than $300 at target at one time so my $900 CL suits me. I think we tend to get hung up on the CL. It would matter if you spend a lot there. In my case i could care less if they don't give me a CLI. Would be good to have a higher limit for overall utilization purposes but not required.

That's my 2 cents Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 27
Epcot
Valued Contributor

I thought about applying for the Target card for a while, but then I found out about the debit version and it has worked great for me. Same discount/free shipping..and have yet to be declined! Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 26 of 27
Radek7752
Contributor

I applied for the Target Visa back when they were still offering it and was instead given the store card with a 200 limit. I consider it the biggest mistake I've made regarding credit matters. I was very patient with them and used the card regularly and almost never carried a balance, and I never got my upgrade (before they stopped issuing Visas) or even a CLI. I closed it 2 years later after I asked for a CLI and was told they don't do customer initiated CLIs.

Fast forward to 2013... applied for Walmart Discover ($700) in January and today it was auto CLI'd to $2050. I hope TD Bank is much better with the Target credit cards.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.