Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target RedCard

tag
Mickey11
Regular Contributor

Target RedCard

So my DW and I were in Target the other day and the RedCard caught our attention....the 5% off seems like a very nice deal. We plan to PIF of course because it's the only way we stay above water! I've done some searching on. The boards and google and I'm not exactly sure what is still offered by Target...do they still offer the Visa CC or do they only offer the store card now? Thanks! Also any personal experiences/opinions are welcome!

Starting Score: TU 660 EQ 623 EX 644
Current Score: TU 670 EQ 683 EX ???
Goal Score: 700 on all 3

Freedom: $3k, CSP: $5k, Chase Disney Premier: $5k, AmEx Zync: NPSL, Cap1 NH: $750, Cap1 Plat: $750, USC CU: $500
Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
Juan123
Established Contributor

Re: Target RedCard

i havent seen a target visa, and honestly the 5% isn't even worth it, wont even cover tax >_< plus low limits given and not CLI friendly.

Starting Score: 575 (As Of Early 2011)
Current Score: TU: 767 EQ: 732 EX; 742 (As Of Feb 2012)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Long way to go ^_^
Message 2 of 43
learnin113
Established Contributor

Target offers a store credit card and apparently a debit card only.  No Visa.  Initial credit offered is low, and increases are few and far in between.  Good luck.

Message 3 of 43
CS800
Super Contributor

@Juan123 wrote:

i havent seen a target visa, and honestly the 5% isn't even worth it, wont even cover tax >_< plus low limits given and not CLI friendly.

True unless you live in a state with no sales tax like: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon, then you get the full 5%. Other wise your 5% will barely cover or not cover your sales tax at all. in MA the sales tax is 6.25%

You can also benefit when your state has special 'tax free' days

Message 4 of 43
Juan123
Established Contributor

here in ny, sales tax is 8.375% >_< they should really up the savings to 10% like most of the other retail stores.

Long way to go ^_^
Message 5 of 43
Ron1
Super Contributor

Yes, they don't offer Target Visa any more.  I have both store card and Visa.  Target Visa doesn't get any 5% rewards outside of Targer.

Ron.

Message 6 of 43
CS800
Super Contributor

@Juan123 wrote:

here in ny, sales tax is 8.375% >_< they should really up the savings to 10% like most of the other retail stores.

And im complaining about 6.25% Smiley Happy

MA is scheduled to hopefully go back down to 5% this year..

Welcome to Taxachusetts Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 43
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I have both the Visa and the Red Card...

Depending on your scores, etc... they will hit you high or low on the CL. The first time I tired with them for the Red Card, they gave me a nice $200 line to work with. Needless to say, that card just got cut up and never used.

I tried this to see how it would work and had very good results.

1. App and get the Target Debit Card. They will ask for your social during this app but no pull.

2. Use the Debit card for about 6 months or so to establish with them.

3. After that 6 months, apply for the Red Card.

In my case, I did just this and when I app'd, they gave me a $2500 CL on the card. Not too bad.

They must do some kind of internal tracking / scoring based on your use of the card and that might help. I am not sure but rahter sharing what happened for me.

Generally, it took them 2 business days to pull from my checking account.

I hope this helps you out!

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 8 of 43
flowfaster
Established Contributor

I love the target card except for the $200 limit OMG im going crazy cuz they will not increase my limit.  Besides that I love the card because my GF gets her meds at the pharmacy so we get 10% off quite often.  If you shop and use their pharmacy the target card is worth it.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 9 of 43
Juan123
Established Contributor

do you permanatly get 5% off or is it only the day you get the card?

Long way to go ^_^
Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.