Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Security Breach Fallout

tag
Lynnst
Valued Member

Target Security Breach Fallout

I had the misfortune to use my BOA Cash Rewards card and my Chase Southwest card at Target during the period of the security breach.  With no notice, BOA “closed” my account and reissued a new card number. I discovered this when I went online to check my account. When I called to find out what was going on, a CSR explained that it wasn’t really closed – they just deactivated that number and issued a new card with a new number.  I just can’t believe they did it without notifying me.  The CSR said they mailed the new cards with an explanation.  On the flip side – Chase sent me an email saying my current card is being replaced and that the current card will be honored until February 21st or until I activate the replacement card.  Chase certainly wins in the customer service comparison…

Has anyone else experienced this?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Target Security Breach Fallout

This practice by BofA, as irritating and inconvenient as it may be for the customer, isn't out of the norm.

Banks want to replace their cards ASAP to minimize on losses and fraud. In order to do so, one of the best ways to do it is to reissue it and cancel the old numbers right away, rather than to take their own sweet time trying to contact customers first. Some customers may not be reached the first time, and it may take up to several days before the bank even gets a hold of them. This does make it inconvenient for the customer, especially if you are overseas.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 17
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I experienced the exact same situation that you described. The notification came by email about a week later. I just happened to log on to check on the status of my account, as I like to keep a close eye on things, and discovered that the account wasn't available. I called up the 800 number on the back of the card and the automated system told me the account was closed. I spoke to a CSR who explained that it was because of a security breach reported by a merchant (Target? I asked. Yes, was the answer.) and that they had already issued me a new card. The card arrived yesterday. You should be fine, but I agree that they should have informed customers sooner.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 17
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

My DS used her WF Debit card last week at Target. Is it safe to use cards at Target now?

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 4 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

My DS used her WF Debit card last week at Target. Is it safe to use cards at Target now?

I would not be using plastic of any sort at Target and be paying with cold hard cash, not even check which they will convert to electronic....

Message 5 of 17
RnJ
Contributor

I wouldn't trust Target with a ten-foot pole, for quite awhile - at least until the senate hearings make their conclusions and until Target fixes their multiple issues with Target credit/debit cards, gift cards, backtracking on returns and refunds, admits their online shopping site is snafu'd, and comes clean about why they stored customers' data for so long and with whom they shared it with.  JMO.

Message 6 of 17
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Yeah hopefully she didnt get herself into trouble, How would we know she got into a big mess? 

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 7 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

As is usually the case, this breach could have been more widespread than what Target initially had reported.  

There have been reports that personal information may have been compromised (home, phone numbers, email addresses, and even encrypted debit pin #s).

Message 8 of 17
RnJ
Contributor

Open123, those reports have already been confirmed.  Target admitted the methods they used to email their customers for signing up to the credit-monitoring - the info they gathered was from previous sales, email addresses used for sign-ups, baby/wedding registries, surveys, online shopping, their Target card app info and god knows what else (employee applications anyone?), much of this on people who had not shopped or had anything to do with Target in years.  Scanning DL's I'm guessing, is also a major contention but Target is sidestepping that one.

Message 9 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

@RnJ wrote:Scanning DL's I'm guessing, is also a major contention but Target is sidestepping that one.

If they engaged in this practice, those compromised should start a class action suit and sue them for damages.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.