Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Security Breach Fallout

tag
evil_ducky
Contributor

Re: Target Security Breach Fallout

To answer the original question, I received a letter and an email from BofA earlier this month informing me that my "credit card information may have been compromised at an undisclosed merchant or service provider," so the account number was being replaced, a new card was being mailed out, and my current card would be active for another few weeks. (Oddly enough my card didn't arrive for a while afterward even though I've received replacement cards quickly in the past.)

OP, can you see when the account was closed or switched out? Perhaps it took a while for BofA to get their game in order, or maybe your card was identified as being at higher risk of fraud.
Message 11 of 17
RnJ
Contributor

BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest,

I would suggest your DS contact WF for their official advice.  They may suggest to her they are actively monitoring for fraud, or may suggest reissuing her a new card.  I honestly do not trust Target's word for anything regarding the breach dates, as there were thousands of complaints on their FB page that indicated the breach dates were both before and after what Target stated.  Of course it's entirely possible that your DS' card is safe, but best to confirm with WF.

Message 12 of 17
RnJ
Contributor

Open123,

Target claims it is their "policy" to scan DL's for alcohol, cold meds, etc - cashiers claim they must have a manager overide the cash register in order to key in DL information (oh, the inconvenience, Target!).  

I have yet to find a law that allows them to do this without disclosure, least of all without customer consent.  Not that it doesn't exist, but I have yet to find it.

Message 13 of 17
Lynnst
Valued Member

ducky - I wish I had received such a letter or email or any kind of alert.  I know exactly when the card was closed.  On Thursday evening I checked my account and it was fine.  On Friday morning I decided to pay it off and when I checked it was gone.  No notice.  Poof.  Gone.  I'm VERY glad it didn't happen a few days earlier while I was out of state on vacation.  It would have been WAY worse to find out about it while putting gas in the rental car on my way to the airport. 

I still like the card and I will continue to use it once I get the replacement, I'm just glad it's not my only card.

Message 14 of 17
john398
Senior Contributor

@RnJ wrote:

Open123,

Target claims it is their "policy" to scan DL's for alcohol, cold meds, etc - cashiers claim they must have a manager overide the cash register in order to key in DL information (oh, the inconvenience, Target!).  

I have yet to find a law that allows them to do this without disclosure, least of all without customer consent.  Not that it doesn't exist, but I have yet to find it.

You know they could sell that information to insurance companies etc, here is an intresting article

http://consumerist.com/2013/03/18/why-does-target-need-to-scan-my-drivers-license-to-sell-me-nicotin...

Message 15 of 17
RnJ
Contributor

Examples like that really tick me off, store policy over-rides any non-descript law.

The DPPA Act is not only written to confuse consumers, but it isn't specific enough to determine "permissible" regarding retailers - it allows permissible purpose for "re-sellers" of information to be exempt from the law.  I've read dozens of class action lawsuits (Best Buy for example, scaned DL's under store policy for the purpose of returns without a receipt, Target is doing the same thing) - but those lawsuits are always dismissed in district and federal courts.  Even more frustrating is that states are allowed to add additional amendments and protections for consumers regarding the act, but they don't.  Frustrating!

Message 16 of 17
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Ok thanks RnJ!

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.