Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target and TD Bank...

tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Target and TD Bank...

This is one card I don't even have a desire to get.  Yeah it has the rewards for shopping at Target, but I actually now boycott this store.  I used to have a great impression of them, but over Christmas I had an issue with them selling me something online to only find out that they did not have it and wouldn't have it for a month and then never have it.  I simply asked for what I was due in that situation and kept repeatedly getting the runaround from them.  They were nice enough to give me gift card for my troubles, but every time I get a gift card for my troubles which shouldn't have happened in the first place, I give it away. Places like the Girl Scouts love things like that.  Even if they don't use it to purchase something, they use it as a lottery item or other such thing. (I don't think they believe me when I tell them that, but I don't care if they believe me anyway, I know I don't the cards.)

Knowing of their toy limits keeps me from getting into a hassle of even applying for a card with them.  Yeah it is fairly easy to pay cards online these days, but do we really need to get online 4 times a month to do so, this is where it becomes a real hassle.  I used to have that hassle with Capital One, so I wouldn't want to go through it again for an extended period of time.  Imagine having a Target Card and a Capital One Card for 2, 3, 5, or more years stuck at a low limit.  It might cause you to go into depression if you didn't know it was really their fault not yours.  Hopefully TD will be a bit different and prove that to consumers in the future and then maybe I would get the card for the savings the very times I do shop there now.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 11 of 39
lithium78
Established Contributor

My Target redcard is stuck at $1000 after a CLI from $200 about three years ago.  I use it about once a month and PIF.  I live in a state without tax on clothes, food, and other essentials, so I actually get some value from the 5% discount.  I also shop online a lot, so the free shipping from target.com also makes the card worthwhile.  It's not the greatest retail card in the world, but it's better than many of them out there.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 39
CS800
Super Contributor

I shop in NH with no sales tax so I get the full 5% benefits. the sales tax in MA is 6.25%

Message 13 of 39
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Mine was at $300 when I had it.
Even $500 of a cl would have convinced me to keep it!

Really, you can't even use a low limit card like that without effing up your util! Lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 14 of 39
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

I was also hoping that TD Bank would offer some increases once they obtained the accounts.  I've had my card for 5 years.  It started at $200 and a month later they raised it to $500 where it has been ever since.  If it wasn't for the 5% savings, I probably wouldn't even use it.

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 39
los_west
Regular Contributor

Argh. I actually called them an inquired about a CLI. The rep on the phone says they never take customer requests for increases....they use some kind of program periodically to grant auto CLIs. I told them the $200 I have been stuck with is impractical. I PIF 2 days after each shopping trip because it just isnt enough. I was basically told tough cookies....go pound sand.
Starting Score: (04/18/2013) EX 572, TU 577, EQ 554
Currently: (12/2014) EX ?, TU ?, EQ 766 (new version)
Lender Pull (12/03/14): EX 759, TU 750, EQ 766
Message 16 of 39
Radek7752
Contributor

Reading this thread reminds me so much of when I had a Target card. I called several times requesting a CLI within the 2 years I had it and got the same stale response about not performing customer initiated requests. I do not expect TD bank to be any different than Target Bank in managing these cards because they have no reason to. Most of Target's customers are perfectly content with a $200 limit (or else more people would have canceled the card by now). TD bank is quite stingy and I doubt they will change that for their Target card portfolio.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 17 of 39
westo12
Established Contributor

Came home today to a letter in the mail that said Target/TD increased my limit from $300 to $500 lol.  I started with $200 last Sept, they up'd it to $300 around Dec, and then this.  I think I have a couple cards over the 90% mark, so who knows, maybe if that wasn't the case, they would have given me more.  

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Fico 5/1/19: TR:650(73% util)
Cap1(Plat+QS) 3500+4500/Merrick 1600/Express 4100/Overstock 4900.
Message 18 of 39
mcf
Contributor

I used mine the day i got it at the store to buy a few shirts lol it was a number on a paper receipt.. 58 bux paid it back in 2 days and never used again. 300 limit ughhhh.. Once again Walmart wins! GE rox

Starting Score:567Walmart TU 701, Credit Sesame 722, credit secure 701 credit karma 694Last Score: 689 TU/Walmart CK 645 Goal Score:800 CLUB
Last HP:2/2015 Util:9% CL:82KTake the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 39
avidlinuxuser
Established Member

I've actually have had a positive experience so far. 

My original limit was 350 back in September. Then, in January, they upped it to 700. Now, they have upped it again to 1000.

Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.