cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target card holders that have gotten CLI and upgrade to Visa...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Target card holders that have gotten CLI and upgrade to Visa...

I have had my Target card since July of 2007. It started at $200...and over a year later...it's still at $200. I've never been late with them. I have tried to PIF, I've tried not using it at all..I've tried carrying a balance. I have a Discover with a $3000, a WAMU with a $2000 limit, and a Juny with a $2000 limit..and I can't even get an increase from Target! They have only soft pulled it one time, last September. At this point I'm only keeping the card for history purposes.
Message 11 of 21
dilligaf_racing
New Contributor

Im pretty jealous of what my girlfriend got in the mail today. She hands me a folded piece of paper and said "look at this". Its her new Target Visa card with a CL of $12,500! She has had the card since 05'. Anyway my eyes bugged out when I saw the CL, because my highest is $5000.00
Fico's TU 613, EQ591, EX615
10-3-08
Message 12 of 21
Veee
Frequent Contributor

All right, you all got me wondering so I looked at my history with them.  I have had my card since 1997, started as a store card now a Visa.  When I first got this card it was with a purchase at the register, never use it again unless I had to!  After my credit scare (uncontrollable credit) I did a consolidation loan and NEVER used credit again.  This Target store card was my first one and I LOVED my 200.00 limit (couldn't get into trouble with that).  I started using the card again in 2001 after my divorce, by end of 2001 they cli to $500.00.  I remember the cli, I was upset because now they gave me more room to get into trouble.  Throughout 2002 cl stayed the same and my apr was still at 21%.  2003 statements are filed somewhere else so I don't know what happened there but sometime in 03 or  beginning of 2004 they gave me the Visa and a credit limit of 800.00 with apr at 21.90%. Ouch, I hated increases and I'm embarrassed over the apr. 

It was at this time I started paying attention, OMG the lates I had!  I use to call them and say "I made a payment, I pay you every month!"  That's when I discovered that just because I made a payment didn't mean it fell in thier cycle of "making a payment".  The statement closes on the 10th of the month and my due date is the 4th.  I use to pay them before the 25th and it didn't count, there was a small window where the payment actually counted so if I paid them before the 25th I had to pay them again by the 4th otherwise I would be charged a late fee.  I first started making payments twice a month to make sure I got it right until I figured it out and now I make my payment every month between the 1st and the 3rd online and have never had a problem since.  I don't know if this makes any sense but its what they told me back then and I surely didn't know better but my system works now.

Check this out ... in 2005 cl is still 800.00 but apr's are ...
July & August 22.99%
Sept 23.24%
Oct 23.49%
Nov missing
Dec 23.74%
slowly creaping up OMG I can't belive my eyes!
Jan 23.99%
Feb & March 24.24%
April 24.49%
May & June 24.74%
July 24.99%
Aug 06 - March 07  25.24%
In Aug 06 I started PIF at least every other month I guess I finally got tired of finance charges!!
Guess what happens in April????
April of 2007 CLI to 5000.00 (cash limit 250.00)
Everything stays the same until November 2007 - CL stays the same but cash limit is now 2500.00 and apr finally starts moving down 24.74%
Jan 08 24.49%
Feb 24.24%
Mar, Apr & May 22.99%
June 22.24%
July 21.99%

I have never had more then 2500.00 on this card (since new cl) until this month ... I guess they were counting on that!  But guess what ... I'm paying this off and its SOCK draw time!  I'm really embrassed and was going to delete this email but hit send instead Smiley Happy  Sorry this got so long it wasn't my intent.

Veee

Myfico scores as of 11/12/08 TU 750 EX 722

MyFico scores as of 9/20/08 TU 638 EX 663 EQ 691
Message 13 of 21
Veee
Frequent Contributor

bump bump

Can they really do this ... increase your apr every month?

Message 14 of 21
Laurenlou
Regular Contributor

Wow.... Veee, your post made me go check my statements... Ive never paid much attention to my APRs since I carry a small balance, but when I just looked I'm astounded!

Right now my APR is 23.99%, which I initially thought was extremely high. Then I started looking back to before I found this forum, when I had late pays and my card was maxed out----- 28.49% APR! I've never even heard of an APR that high!!

Message 15 of 21
Veee
Frequent Contributor

I know, didn't know they could do that!  I was hoping someone would make a comment to my pathtic post stating something like "they can't do that" Smiley Happy  I'm like you in the sense I never paid much attention but I will now!

Laurenlou wrote:
Wow.... Veee, your post made me go check my statements... Ive never paid much attention to my APRs since I carry a small balance, but when I just looked I'm astounded!

Right now my APR is 23.99%, which I initially thought was extremely high. Then I started looking back to before I found this forum, when I had late pays and my card was maxed out----- 28.49% APR! I've never even heard of an APR that high!!

Message 16 of 21
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Red card opened in 2002 w/ a 200 limit.  Upgraded to Visa and a 1k line in 2005.  Carried a balance on the Visa forever and finally PIF in Nov 07.  Within a few months I was auto-cli'd to 5k and as of my last statement on 9/8 I was auto-cli'd to 7k.  The card saw heavy usage over the past month (purchased appliances).  My apr is 18.99 and has been there since the cli to 5k.

I love the 10 percent coupons.  My only 'beef' is that you only get 1 point per 2 dollars spent at places other than Target.  However, having a rewards rate between 5 and 10 percent is pretty darn good.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 17 of 21
Veee
Frequent Contributor

I was really counting on a response from the experts here ... can ccc really increase your apr the way they did this card below?  More details are on a previous post.

Veee wrote:

Check this out ... in 2005 cl is still 800.00 but apr's are ...
July & August 22.99%
Sept 23.24%
Oct 23.49%
Nov missing
Dec 23.74%
slowly creaping up OMG I can't belive my eyes!
Jan 23.99%
Feb & March 24.24%
April 24.49%
May & June 24.74%
July 24.99%
Aug 06 - March 07  25.24%
In Aug 06 I started PIF at least every other month I guess I finally got tired of finance charges!!
Guess what happens in April????
April of 2007 CLI to 5000.00 (cash limit 250.00)
Everything stays the same until November 2007 - CL stays the same but cash limit is now 2500.00 and apr finally starts moving down 24.74%
Jan 08 24.49%
Feb 24.24%
Mar, Apr & May 22.99%
June 22.24%
July 21.99%

Message 18 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Unfortunately, they really can. Somewhere in the microscopic print on the terms and conditions statement that they mail with new accounts (and we all read those, don't we? Smiley Wink ), they state this.

This is one of the biggest reasons not to carry balances that you can't pay off immediately, if necessary. Not only do high balances trigger rate increases --think of them saying, a-ha! we can make some money off of THIS one! --but you're at their mercy until you can somehow pay them off.

msn's ConsumerMan has a good description of the "Credit Card Holders' Bill of Rights," one of the features of which would require lenders to state in the initial documentation what triggers would set off a rate hike.

ConsumerMan Article

Interesting discussion, and there are links in there to the actual bill and to a summary. We had a brisk debate going about this on the Credit in the News board a while back.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 19 of 21
Veee
Frequent Contributor

Unbelieveable!! Thanks for the response, I just can't believe they can do something like that.  Hopefully they are getting somewhere with those bill of rights. 

haulingthescoreup wrote:
Unfortunately, they really can. Somewhere in the microscopic print on the terms and conditions statement that they mail with new accounts (and we all read those, don't we? Smiley Wink ), they state this.

This is one of the biggest reasons not to carry balances that you can't pay off immediately, if necessary. Not only do high balances trigger rate increases --think of them saying, a-ha! we can make some money off of THIS one! --but you're at their mercy until you can somehow pay them off.

msn's ConsumerMan has a good description of the "Credit Card Holders' Bill of Rights," one of the features of which would require lenders to state in the initial documentation what triggers would set off a rate hike.

ConsumerMan Article

Interesting discussion, and there are links in there to the actual bill and to a summary. We had a brisk debate going about this on the Credit in the News board a while back.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.