Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target card is worthless!!!!

tag
iwantbettercredit
Regular Contributor

Re: Target card is worthless!!!!

@dizbuster wrote:
I did get my Target card about a year ago to help with the rebuilding process. I am thankful to them for the positive tradeline. I guess as time goes by, I tend to forget how thankful I was to be approved for the card in the first place. Everyone is right about it helping me in my rebuilding phase (which is currently ongoing). Thank you for reminding me of that important point! From now on I will be thankful for the positive trade line. The $200 limit still stinks though. Smiley Sad
Good, I am glad you are looking at the bright side of it, and yes the $200 does stink, but I bet in the long run you will end of with a nice credit limit from them.

Good Luck!

Navy Fed Visa $10,000
Navy Fed MasterCard $3,500
Pen Fed Visa $7500
Discover $3,200
Message 11 of 18
emartin82
Regular Contributor

i apped for the red card the last week of november 08 and was surprised to be approved. also got the $200 limit. the red card is their version of the subprime card, and most start out with $200 (there are a few exceptions). target national bank is a very conservative lender and you will see offers depending on target corp's profits. this will be a bad year for sales profits but not so bad for their bank branch (the credit issuer) because theyve been so conservative in their lending practices (conservative compared to, say, most of the failing banks). this means that those of us who may not be credit worthy (we all got the $200 red card for a reason, right?) may see CLI during 2009 holiday season, or sooner depending on how fastthe american economy implodes. Smiley Happy

my best friend applied for the red card at a target store in december 08, one month after i applied, and she got immediately approved for the Target Visa with $5000 credit limit. She and I are both 26; she got a CapOne card and Gap + Macys cards when she was 20 and has kept them in good standing. I have three charge offs from 2003 for two CapOne cards and one Providian card. this just goes to show credit history really does matter.

i too get a little pissed with the low limits and how long they've stuck with me, but then i remember how badly i handled my credit obligations in the past and realize oh, thats right, maybe i do deserve these limits right now. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by emartin82 on 03-06-2009 12:43 PM
Message 12 of 18
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

emartin,

You make a good point. Maybe if other banks showed this amount of conservitism this whole credit mess would not be where it is at today? I am a guy and I normally hate shopping at any store, but I do like going to Target. It really is my favorite store. I just wish I could somehow convince them that I am rehabed on my irresponsible credit behavior. Time will take care of that I suppose. Thanks to all the Gals and Guys on this site who have chimed in objectively and helped me realize that more than likely I am at the limit I deserve at this point in time.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 13 of 18
dondk
Valued Member

dizbuster

I have had the red card since 8/07. watched my 3 CRA go up more than 100 points each. Did PIF with Target, carried balances, every possible scenario that has been mentioned on this board. I am still at 200, my DW who has had the card 3 months longer than me and she currently has mid 700's on her CRA is still at $200. 

ironically we opted for the target check card to get the 10% and we are more than happy with that, ironically her "limit" on the check card is more than $1K. So we work the 10% deal which is far better than 20 bucks (10% on 200 CL)

Our red cards have zero balances and sit in a drawer, since there is no AF who cares? They don't, so why should we?

regardless, your frustrations are well noted and you are one of thousands that are equally grateful and equally frustrated by Target. 

Message 14 of 18
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

if it makes you feel any better I have had m target card since 05....Still at $200.00.

it is BS!!! I use it all the time. I have great history with them.

Message 15 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

My first Target card is from 1999 with $300 limit

My second Target Card is from 2008 with $500 limit (started at $200) 

Message 16 of 18
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Why did you apply for two target cards?
Message 17 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Why did you apply for two target cards?
I felt like my target card was lost in the system, like they didn't even know I had it... and I don't think they allow you to have 2 cards, so it proved my point that they don't even notice I have the first account.
and so far I have got the 1 credit step on the new card from $200-500, just waiting for the 6 month mark, I believe this month... just paid it off today to make sure it would have a $0 for the first time since getting it when I hit that mark and hope for the upgrade to visa. 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.