cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target debit card? Is this a HP on my report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Target debit card? Is this a HP on my report?

I currently am in the garden, but found out that the debit card allows for the same 5% discount on all transactions.  I got onto the web and they asked for my entire SS# and then there is an agreement that says they "might check my consumer reports"  I don't want to have a HP for a debit card.

I'm still rebuilding and just got approved for my first credit accounts in 5 years.  Anyone know if they pull hard credit reports?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Target debit card? Is this a HP on my report?

I can't make a blanket statement, but when I applied for and received my Target Debit Card, no hard inquiry was made.

Message 2 of 7
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Pretty sure it's a SP.

If you were apping for their credit card, that's a different story.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got this card a week ago - it is not a HP.

Message 4 of 7
TrulyyBlessed
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently am in the garden, but found out that the debit card allows for the same 5% discount on all transactions.  I got onto the web and they asked for my entire SS# and then there is an agreement that says they "might check my consumer reports"  I don't want to have a HP for a debit card.

I'm still rebuilding and just got approved for my first credit accounts in 5 years.  Anyone know if they pull hard credit reports?

I have the debit card as well. It is not a HP. That was my only reason for getting the debit card and not the credit card. No worries Smiley Happy

Starting Score: Nov. 2012 585
Current Score: EQ 733 EX 777 TU 743 Goal Score: 750+

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It is a debit card you pick right up at the counter,activate and good to go.. No HPs or SPs.

Message 6 of 7
lukepwnsall
Regular Contributor

Just a bit of info. I work for target. I do want to say this. a target Debit card application theoretically can pull your credit. HOWEVER out of the thousands of applications that I have seen (about 100 a week) I have never actually seen pull your credit. They ask for a social for collections reasons if you go into default, or if you have existing card in default to link you to, and also for tax reasons so that the US gov can ty it to you. They just have to put a legal disclosure in the pamplit saying they can pull your credit but I honestly have never seen it happen.

TU 786 (10/23) EQ 794 (10/23) EX 773 (10/23)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.