cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target is no longer offering their VISA card and not issuing CLI's.

tag
TATATA
Regular Contributor

Target is no longer offering their VISA card and not issuing CLI's.

FYI - I've had my Redcard (200 limit) for two years. Rarely carried a balance. Never late and still no increase. Today, I called to request a CLI and to apply for their VISA card. To my surprise, I was told by CSR that "they are no longer offering their VISA card and no CLI's at this time due to the bad economy." I wonder if Target is having financial problems....that they've made such drastic changes to keep afloat. Hopefully not. However, Walmart did issue me a CLI. Smiley Happy

Total CL's combine: $150,600.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Target is no longer offering their VISA card and not issuing CLI's.

@TATATA wrote:

FYI - I've had my Redcard (200 limit) for two years. Rarely carried a balance. Never late and still no increase. Today, I called to request a CLI and to apply for their VISA card. To my surprise, I was told by CSR that "they are no longer offering their VISA card and no CLI's at this time due to the bad economy." I wonder if Target is having financial problems....that they've made such drastic changes to keep afloat. Hopefully not. However, Walmart did issue me a CLI. Smiley Happy

Customers have not been able to ask for CLI on Target Store card for years and the Visa was not being offered anymore earlier this year.

I read a couple years ago Target makes more money from Banking then they do in all the stores combined, they are not hurting!

Message 2 of 7
TATATA
Regular Contributor

Creditaddict:

Thank you for that information. I had no idea. But now I wonder, if they are not hurting....why is it that they've made such drastic changes in the last couple of years? Perhaps the obvious answer would be: " due to the bad economy." Nonetheless, I don't understand why are they, so to speak, penalizing, individuals with an excellent credit history (740+ scores) that want their VISA or CLI on their Redcard??

From a business standpoint, my question would be, do I really want to loose their business to Walmart? I just don't understand the logic behind it.

Message 3 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

A lot of us have hashed over this for the last couple years... People with scores in the 800's now still have a $200 limit at Target and now that you can't request a CLI, there is not way to let them know "hey, thanks for giving me a card when I was rebuilding but now I'm way past that, step my account up to the rest of my portfolio"

When CLI do come around, they seem nothing more than let the computer pick 1 million cards to increase the limit to $1000.

I'm a perfect example of random, I got my first Target card when I was 18 for $200, 6 months later it was increased to $300... Which is what the limit is now!

However I have since got 3 more Target cards over last 2 years, all $200... 1 of the ones opened in 09' got increased to $1000 on the random increases that came last year.

Now wouldn't you think if any account was going to get an increase to $1000 it would be the card that has been open for 11 years, not the one that had been opened like 7 months!

Reps just read of a script, I have talked to supervisors, everything... can't even combine cards!

Message 4 of 7
TATATA
Regular Contributor

Creditaddict:

Wow! Again, thank you for that additional information. I guess, it is what it is! I'll tell you this much.....I'm shopping at Walmart tonight.

Message 5 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@TATATA wrote:

Creditaddict:

Wow! Again, thank you for that additional information. I guess, it is what it is! I'll tell you this much.....I'm shopping at Walmart tonight.

Yes, GE may only give $125 CLI at a time but they are consistent every 4 months... What can Target say, you are automatically in our lottery, keep your fingers crossed, your 1 card out of 10 million, you think you will get picked!

Message 6 of 7
TATATA
Regular Contributor

I agree 100%

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.