cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target or Walmart: Which one should I use??

tag
Bella1980
Established Contributor

Target or Walmart: Which one should I use??

I have a Target Card - CL $200 and a Walmart Store Card - CL $500.

I understand that both these cards like to see alot of usage. I shop at both these stores alot and can push through and pay about $200 a month in full.

Should I just use $100 in each store or should I use the full $200 on one card to show alot of usage to hopefully get a CLI every four months?

Starting Score: TU- 682, EQ- 698, EX- 713
Current Score: TU- 723, EQ- 747, EX- 737
Goal Score: 760 PLUS FICO's

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Target or Walmart: Which one should I use??

I don't know anything about the wal-mart card, I can only speak of the Target card. With that card, you can expect to possibliy get a CLI after the 3rd statement. Many people have received an increase at this time and then never again. A select few seem to get the conversion to Target Visa, but I'm almost at 3 years of perfect payment history and have yet to see another CLI since the 3 month mark and have not seen the visa in my future either. There have been a ton of threads on Target and nearly everyone's experience has been the same as mine. Of course, every once and a while someone comes along and will prove us wrong, but the majority get bumped the one time and it sits for life. Smiley Very Happy

You may have better luck at Wal-Mart. I don't know of any card as stingy as the target card. Not even the rebuilders!
Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember when i had Target back in the day they where very friendly with CLI i would get one like every 3 months with no problem.

Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 08-04-2008 06:30 PM
Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

mjbfan79 wrote:
I remember when i had Target back in the day they where very friendly with CLI i would get one like every 3 months with no problem.

Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 08-04-2008 06:30 PM

How far back in the day was that?  Hehe. Oh how i wish it was like that now! I remember someone recently posting they've had their card for like 6 years or something and they are still at either $200 or $500. They are terrible. I keep them for the age, otherwise they are a joke.
Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

UpUpUp wrote:
How far back in the day was that?  Hehe. Oh how i wish it was like that now! I remember someone recently posting they've had their card for like 6 years or something and they are still at either $200 or $500. They are terrible. I keep them for the age, otherwise they are a joke.

Like 10 years ago i got my card back in 98 i think i started off with $300 an every 3 months i would request a CLI an get it everytime my limit got up to $1500.

Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 08-04-2008 06:55 PM
Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess the Target visa is the next card I close......Still gardening. Sounds like a weed to me! But truth be told it doesn't get much mileage anyway. I think I have used it twice since it became a Visa.....
Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

UpUpUp wrote:

Also i was like 18 at the time Target was like one of my first CC my credit was fresh no baddies. So maybe that's why they where friendly with me.
Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
How far back in the day was that? Hehe. Oh how i wish it was like that now! I remember someone recently posting they've had their card for like 6 years or something and they are still at either $200 or $500. They are terrible. I keep them for the age, otherwise they are a joke.

Also i was like 18 at the time Target was like one of my first CC my credit was fresh no baddies. So maybe that's why they where friendly with me.

If I had that age I would be happy.......long history.
Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

miahmarie wrote:
f I had that age I would be happy.......long history.

Yeah but i was to young to handle credit at that time i thought it was free money lol that Target account was filed in a BK in 2001 i re applied with them a few months ago an they gave me the big fat no there not forgiving at all don't mess them over.
Message 9 of 28
lisac
Regular Contributor

got my target red 6 years ago cl 500, converted to visa about 4 years later and cli to 1000, last month cli to 1500. but had to ask for it.  my 18 yo son just got his very first cc targe cl 300.  he's a lot more informed about credit than i ever was.
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.