Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target red. Would you close?

tag
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

Target red. Would you close?

I am fairly educated on the closi g of cards but I have had this card since 05 And still at 200. I have done everything. I feel I may e lost in the system. I have rehabbed my credit tremendously and I am shocked by this. My mom has had 3 increases within 2 years. Would you close and reopen in a year but be forced to Lose all the history. Especially since cap one closed my other 7 year card (without telling me , but that is another story) for in activity.
Thanks in Advance!!
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
nyancat
Established Contributor

Re: Target red. Would you close?

No way, keep it for the account age, just never use it for more than $60 worth of purchases a month (30% utilization).

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 2 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@nyancat wrote:

No way, keep it for the account age, just never use it for more than $60 worth of purchases a month (30% utilization).

Or just pay before the statement date.

Regardless I value payment history FAR more than CL personally; I'd absolutely love to have a 7 year positive tradeline open and reporting right now... $200 on a store card wouldn't bother me in the slightest although for making one's report as pretty as possible as nyancat intimates, it's unlikely I'd ever want to leave an actual balance on the card when I had something major coming up application wise.

        
Message 3 of 18
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

SERIOSULY target red card is on my NEVER APPLY FOR list. People constantly complain that they can neevr get an CLi on their card now you as well Target Card will never be in my hands, and well they say never close cards if they dont have an annual fee, so it wont hurt to keep open just so it ages and looks good on you, so far it will almost be 10 years since card was on in 2015. 

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 4 of 18
jsucool76
Super Contributor

It has no AF. I say keep it.

Target was recently purchased by TD, so maybe CLIs will start soon.
Message 5 of 18
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
It has no AF. I say keep it.

Target was recently purchased by TD, so maybe CLIs will start soon.

Is TD Bank a generous lender? I haven't really heard much about them.

Message 6 of 18
beb86
Valued Contributor

There have seem to be a few post recently regarding some good CLIs with the red card, so who knows mine is just another positive TL.

Message 7 of 18
Smug
Established Contributor

Closed mine never looked back
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 8 of 18
toppers555
Established Contributor

I would say it all depends where you are at in your credit journey,and lifestyle.  I defintely  see where the majority are coming  from in regard to  leaving it open for positive reporting ,  but me personally , I am at same 200 cl ,and will be closing mine at the end of the year unless TD bank increases the limit.  I am at point in my journey to where I am focusing on building prime card relationships. At the beginning of last year I had 17+ tradelines.  I am currently down to 10 , and plan to close any cards with a cl of less then 3k , besides maybe 1 hsbc card, which I really want to  because of how Capitol One failed to keep a promise of converting a secure card a few years ago, but I can't let feelings guide busniess decisions.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 9 of 18
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

FOLLOW AT @toppers555 foot steps hahha if the new bank doesnt help in any way then closing it should be a good move.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.