Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target redcard disappointment

tag
ddemari
Super Contributor

Target redcard disappointment

Today i received my 12th target redcard statement and was HOPING for a cli. Use the card every month, pay in full and nothing. I know target is like a blackbox w/ their cli but come on! Of all my cards, its the only one that i feel like will never grow.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Target redcard disappointment

@ddemari wrote:
Today i received my 12th target redcard statement and was HOPING for a cli. Use the card every month, pay in full and nothing. I know target is like a blackbox w/ their cli but come on! Of all my cards, its the only one that i feel like will never grow.

I read they don't do CLI.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 2 of 19
heyjude

I have had my Red card since 2008, IIRC, and I am stuck at $300 despite being over 700 across the board.  I can only conclude that Target is not CLI friendly.  

I am contemplating closigng the card, and probably will after I have gotten my white whale.

Message 3 of 19
tempusfugit123
Frequent Contributor

I've had the Target card since 2007 with only 1 increase from 500 to 1000. It is one of my oldest accounts so I don't want to close it. But like other posters will say this card will not grow with you. I got it before they offered the debit card and only wanted it for the discount but its worthless now.

Message 4 of 19
ddemari
Super Contributor

I called them last month and the rep said they're changing their processing systems. And unfortunately they can't do manual cli but in the near future they will be able to. Some people get autos and i can tell u heavy usage monthly, pif before statement cuts and still no love. But i have saved 78 dollars over the year i guess lol
Message 5 of 19
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

@ddemari wrote:
I called them last month and the rep said they're changing their processing systems. And unfortunately they can't do manual cli but in the near future they will be able to. Some people get autos and i can tell u heavy usage monthly, pif before statement cuts and still no love. But i have saved 78 dollars over the year i guess lol

The secret with Target auto CLI is they love to see a balance and not PIF so they can accrue interest and have you pay them.

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 6 of 19
d170
Regular Contributor

@tonyjones wrote:

@ddemari wrote:
I called them last month and the rep said they're changing their processing systems. And unfortunately they can't do manualcli but in the near future they will be able to. Some people get autos and i can tell u heavy usage monthly,pif before statement cuts and still no love. But i have saved 78 dollars over the year i guesslol

The secret with Target auto CLI is they love to see a balance and not PIF so they can accrue interest and have you pay them.

If I've showed you how much I've "saved" on the receipt, you'd think I was nuts!  I have the debit and credit card. Never bounced a check/ NSF with them and I've yet to see an increase. I've even tried not us either cars in the stores for a few months and  still nothing. It's frustrating to say the least. 

Time to Garden!!
EQ 703 TU 752 EX 711 as of 07/19/2014. In the garden until 01/19/2015. Baby steps, baby steps!! Trying for 750 ACROSS THE BOARD.
Message 7 of 19
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Now that the Target Express is open, I need a target credit card. I checked, and the registers are not considered Grocery Store by the Sallie Mae.

The debit option just seems like a bad idea at a Target... And unfortunately they won't accept a passport for ID on the credit application. What a hassle.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 8 of 19
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I closed mine the other day and the customer service I had to deal with was a pain just to do that. Anyway, I'm very glad I did because I'm not interested in having a low limit card that will most likely not grow with me as my other cards do and I hardly used mine anyway so besides for a few perks, it's virtually useless for me. Also if I decide to apply for a better card in the future, I have a feeling that would probably be a factor in whether I'd get approved for it or not.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 9 of 19
irrational
Frequent Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Now that the Target Express is open, I need a target credit card. I checked, and the registers are not considered Grocery Store by the Sallie Mae.

The debit option just seems like a bad idea at a Target... And unfortunately they won't accept a passport for ID on the credit application. What a hassle.

Slightly off topic, but the BCP/E doesn't consider them a grocery store either.

The target card is backed by TD bank. Do they back other store cards, and are they this grumpy with CLIs? We do a lot of shopping at target, but with all the negatives I heard on this card (plus my wife would kill me if I apped for more cards), I don't want to get it.

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.