Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Targeted Bonus Offer: Ritz Carlton Visa

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Targeted Bonus Offer: Ritz Carlton Visa

@CreditScholar wrote:

The alternative is that I could "pull an Open", take the 100k MR signup bonus (since I know how you feel about signup bonuses!), and then cancel after 11 months. The Ritz card would then remain untouched and spending would proceed on it as normal (10k per year).

Without hesitation, this is what I would do.  LOL

Regarding the chip, I think it's a nice touch to have it, especially on a card with this high of an annual fee. I haven't used it much, but have noticed some issues using the card. I'm not sure if this is because of the chip, or it being metal. For whatever reasons, there are some places where it doesn't seem to work, and I've got to resort to using my HSBC.

Nonethless, it's a nice addition, and has made it easier to use abroad. 

Message 11 of 17
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

The alternative is that I could "pull an Open", take the 100k MR signup bonus (since I know how you feel about signup bonuses!), and then cancel after 11 months. The Ritz card would then remain untouched and spending would proceed on it as normal (10k per year).

Without hesitation, this is what I would do.  LOL

Regarding the chip, I think it's a nice touch to have it, especially on a card with this high of an annual fee. I haven't used it much, but have noticed some issues using the card. I'm not sure if this is because of the chip, or it being metal. For whatever reasons, there are some places where it doesn't seem to work, and I've got to resort to using my HSBC.

Nonethless, it's a nice addition, and has made it easier to use abroad. 

Do you think there would be any significant or long-lasting impact on any future relationship with Amex? I know they keep extensive records on people, and I'm not sure if I would want to be identified as a "churner" (since I've never churned a card in my entire life). I'm guessing at a bare minimum that'd be the last 100k offer I see.

Also when I received my Ritz cards and just stacked them on top of each other, it felt like there was a very slight force (magnetic?) that was holding them together. It would go against common sense that they would be magnetic, but I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 12 of 17
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

One other thing: If you already cancelled your Amex plat, and given that you're considering cancelling your JPM Ritz as well, would you be able to get away with having neither from a travel benefits-perspective?

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 13 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

Do you think there would be any significant or long-lasting impact on any future relationship with Amex? I know they keep extensive records on people, and I'm not sure if I would want to be identified as a "churner" (since I've never churned a card in my entire life). I'm guessing at a bare minimum that'd be the last 100k offer I see.

Also when I received my Ritz cards and just stacked them on top of each other, it felt like there was a very slight force (magnetic?) that was holding them together. It would go against common sense that they would be magnetic, but I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

In your case?  No, I don't think so.  While it's true Amex keeps extensive records of every card and bonus you've had with them, one they wouldn't consider a "churner." Now, if you applied every 12 months (not even I would do this! LOL), then you may experience some subtle repercussions. In this case, given you were targetted with this offer, their more than willing to give you the MR points to try the card for a year. Now, it may be different if you were applying through link exploitation.

Hm, never noticed compared the two cards. I just sent back the original on the envelope they sent me. So, the cards seem magnetized? I'm not sure what it is, but I do know at some terminals and POS, a plastic card works fine while the metal Ritz didn't. Not exactly scientic, and the there could be many reasons why one worked while the other didn't.

Message 14 of 17
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

In your case?  No, I don't think so.  While it's true Amex keeps extensive records of every card and bonus you've had with them, one they wouldn't consider a "churner." Now, if you applied every 12 months (not even I would do this! LOL), then you may experience some subtle repercussions. In this case, given you were targetted with this offer, their more than willing to give you the MR points to try the card for a year. Now, it may be different if you were applying through link exploitation.

Hm, never noticed compared the two cards. I just sent back the original on the envelope they sent me. So, the cards seem magnetized? I'm not sure what it is, but I do know at some terminals and POS, a plastic card works fine while the metal Ritz didn't. Not exactly scientic, and the there could be many reasons why one worked while the other didn't.

Well, that's a long story.

I called in after a month of receiving the email asking when I would receive my new cards. They explained that they sent them out 3 weeks ago, and that I should have received them by then. They immediately cancelled the cards and issued me new ones, saying the replacements would be there within 1-2 business days. I then proceeded to change my online details, my stored CC info in RCR, etc. The next day I had 4 cards show up on my doorstep in 2 seperate boxes, the 2 original ones plus the 2 new ones.

Out of curiosity I stacked the 4 on top of each other, and that's what it felt like to me. I'm not sure if it's truly the case, but that's what it felt like. Either that or it's just because there were 4 cards, and those things weigh quite a bit. I think they're heavier than my old centurion, but that was quite some time ago.

When you said they wouldn't work at certain terminals and POS, do you mean the chip wouldn't work, swiping it didn't work, or both?

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 15 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

One other thing: If you already cancelled your Amex plat, and given that you're considering cancelling your JPM Ritz as well, would you be able to get away with having neither from a travel benefits-perspective?

This is my dilemma, deciding whether or not to keep one or none for my personal use.

Since I've got a bus Plat and SPG status, the only reason to opt for the Plat would be the restrictive $200 airline credit (which I never use), and to use the card for personal non-forex spending I can't put on my business card. Unless I lease a Benz or something, I don't see paying $450 just for that, since I can't even write it off. 

I've been staying at some of the Ritz's ever since I was s child with my parents for family vacations; and, the staff at those particular hotels all know me pretty well. Whether or not I've got the card wouldn't make any difference in the qualify of service, though it may some for others. However, I do spend enough for Gold status (but, never really use it Marriott), and do earn about 100K points per year, which is good for 2 or 3 nights.

If I had to choose one, I think the Ritz is a better value for me, eventhough the airline lounge has been downgraded, and the $200 airline credit is more hassle than Amex, but I do have the advantage of actually using it since I'm not restricted by a single airline.

Message 16 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

When you said they wouldn't work at certain terminals and POS, do you mean the chip wouldn't work, swiping it didn't work, or both?

There were times when the number had to be entered manually, where not even the magnetic strip worked. Maybe the card was too thick, or it was a newer type of mag strip.

Again, not scientific, but my HSBC would always work at all of the places where my Ritz didn't. It didn't exactly happen all the time, but be prepared for it to happen a few times.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.