cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Targeted CC Offerings - What do YOU get in the mail?

tag
jefftca925
Established Contributor

Targeted CC Offerings - What do YOU get in the mail?

I've been noticing that it seems that a lot of folks that tend to revolve debt (non-PIFers) seem to get CC solicitations all of the time.  I always pay my CCs in full every month and NEVER pay interest or have been charged an OTL/LC fee on my accounts.  But when it comes to getting offers in the mail it seems I receive 0% card offers mostly (Citi Plat Select/Diamond Preferred/Simplicity, FNBO cards, etc) opposed to rewards cards that have higher interest rates on them.  The reason why I'm thinking about this is that I recently watched a PBS TV show (from 2004) that talked about what banks typically like in a CC customer.  The main thing they liked were customers that revolved their debt opposed to PIF every month because they made big $$ that way.  So I'm curious if offers today seem to be more geared to the behavior of the consumer when it comes to paying their debt or if it's how they spend their money.

So my question is... are you a PIFer or a "Revolver" and what kind of offers do you get in the mail?  Also, do the offers you get seem to be for the same type of card?  

Discuss!

P.S.  HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!  Smiley Very Happy

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Juan123
Established Contributor

Re: Targeted CC Offerings - What do YOU get in the mail?

Am i current "revolver" soon to be "PIFer" i've gotten 2 citi 0% offers since i started repairing my credit, and quite a few auto loan offers.... nothing else though >_<

Starting Score: 575 (As Of Early 2011)
Current Score: TU: 767 EQ: 732 EX; 742 (As Of Feb 2012)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Long way to go ^_^
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a PIF'er

I'm opted out, and reports froze, so I get zero offers in the mail.

Just the way I like it.

Happy New Year to allSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 16
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

I mostly PIF but leave a balance on 2 out of 8 cards each month.  I get TONS of card offers in the mail but I only seem to get:

• Discover (OMG, at least 2-3 times a week!!! -- their cards do nothing for me however)
  • Citi Simplicity (maybe once a week - GREAT BT offer but no need for the card)
  • Citi AAdvantage (about twice a week - PC from AAdvantage to TY Preferred, if I re-apped I wouldn't get the signon per CSR)
  • Mastercard Platinum (A generic platinum MC offer - I just toss it)

That's pretty much all I ever get. I've never once received any mail from Capital One, Chase, American Express, HSBC, USBank, etc for any cards.  Those are the 4 I always get for the last few years. It never changes. 

Edit: I always pay my AMEX cards in full.  I never leave a balance on them.  

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 4 of 16
lithium78
Established Contributor

I'm a PIFer.  I got my Discover More in July from an unsolicited mailing.  I have also received mailers from Citi (which I can't app for since they blacklisted me) and Amex Green.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 16
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

We PIF too. But we never seem to get any offiers in the mail other than Chase Southwest Airlines Visa.

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 6 of 16
CS800
Super Contributor

I PIF also. But since I'm opted out ( since 2009) I never get offers. I use my cards and pif once the transactions post.

Message 7 of 16
laz98
Senior Contributor

we don't PIF yet, but the CC offers we get are mostly from citi:  platinum select, dividend, simplicity, diamond preferred, etc.  we occasionally get offers for the chase freedom, & even more rarely we get discover offers.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Always PIF, I am allergic to interest!  Smiley Very Happy 

No cc offers to speak of have ever come my way.  I did get an offer when Citibank did their huge mass-mailing back around Thanksgiving time, but that was a first.  I've received 2 offers from Discover but nothing from anyone else.

Now, I'm opted out and my credit reports are frozen so there are no offers at all anymore.

Message 9 of 16
sdoonan
Contributor

Currently revolving a balance, but I normally PIF. I've gotten one offer (for a Diamond Preferred); used it, but got no inquiry (since I didn't meet the income requirement).

I hope the offers related to my Capital One card haven't overfilled my school mailbox...I don't think the mail person would be very happy. Smiley LOL

Cards: CitiForward for Students (2K, opened 8/2009), Discover it (2K, opened 7/2010), AMEX BCE (1k, opened 12/2010), Capital One Quicksilver (4.5k, opened 11/2011), Chase Freedom (1.5k, opened 8/2014)

AMEX Platinum (NPSL, AC arrangement, added 12/2011), Citi AAdvantage AMEX (9k, AU, backdated to 9/2008)

Scores: TU 667, EQ 651

In the Garden since 8/8.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.