Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temp charge on your cc

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Temp charge on your cc

Does everyone here know that now when you swipe your cc at WM's gas pump they put a $100.00 temp charge on your cc til the purchase posts?  I found that out only after I pumped and got home and checked my cc.  A few days later the $29.31 posted (like 5 or 6 days later).  Anyway for someone who was close to max this could be very bad.  Tks Vicki
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Temp charge on your cc

Yep, I read about this a few days ago, then I used my new Amex Delta to fill up (double miles at gas stations), and sure enough there was a $100 hold before the transaction posted.

ETA:  I missed the part where you mentioned it was WM's gas station.  I actually filled up at BP and had the same experience.  I think it's standard just about everywhere.

Message Edited by cheddar on 11-13-2007 07:55 PM
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

wow. my bank's debit visa debit card authorizes 1.00 and takes 1-2 days for the purchased amount to post.
Message 3 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Most of the stations I use post $1 or $10. I got hit with the $100 hold at one I rarely used, and 5 days later, the $100 pending was still there (that's how USAA shows it), plus the real charge was on. What fun!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:
Most of the stations I use post $1 or $10. I got hit with the $100 hold at one I rarely used, and 5 days later, the $100 pending was still there (that's how USAA shows it), plus the real charge was on. What fun!

Yep, that's where I'm sitting right now on my Delta.  The charge posted today, but the $100 hold still hasn't been released yet.

Yay! Smiley Indifferent
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

dnm45227 wrote:
wow. my bank's debit visa debit card authorizes 1.00 and takes 1-2 days for the purchased amount to post.

That's how my debit card used to work, but these days it posts immediately for the correct amount.  I can see it in real time on the bank's website just like an ATM transaction.

This is a godsend for me since I manage combined finances for me and GF, and she never seems to remember where she put that receipt.

GF:  Oh, I bought gas today.  It was $30 something.

Me:  Yeah, I know, I saw...$32.76.

Message 6 of 18
gNaRKiLL
Regular Contributor

What does WM stand for. Also that kind of sucks but I think its almost necessary for the gas prices we see today. Alot of trucks and such can easily hold 90 bucks in gas so they probably just upped the autho amount so that they guarantee they get paid. I spent 90 bucks on my new beater dodge ramcharger the other day filling it up. I know most places didnt used to let you go over 75 bucks in gas without re-authorization but I went all the way. They only charged me 20 bucks though up front which seems standard now.

Message Edited by gNaRKiLL on 11-13-2007 08:25 PM
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a $100 hold on my driect rewards Platinum Discover card, i only bought $30 worth of gas, took 2 weeks for that 100 to come off.
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know many CCC limit how much you can buy gas with a CC for fraud reasons.  I think with Visa it's around 50-75 bucks and with Mastercard it's around 75.  It's bad news for those that have to gas up business vehicles because they have to use like 2 or 3 cards to fill up.
Message 9 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@gNaRKiLL wrote:
What does WM stand for. Also that kind of sucks but I think its almost necessary for the gas prices we see today. Alot of trucks and such can easily hold 90 bucks in gas so they probably just upped the autho amount so that they guarantee they get paid. I spent 90 bucks on my new beater dodge ramcharger the other day filling it up. I know most places didnt used to let you go over 75 bucks in gas without re-authorization but I went all the way. They only charged me 20 bucks though up front which seems standard now.

Message Edited by gNaRKiLL on 11-13-2007 08:25 PM

WM: Pretty sure they're talking about WalMart.

I'm fine with a hold, but they can dern well put the full charge on right away. I know it's not USAA; at the end of the day, any charge I have made is normally either already posted, or up in the pending section. I think I looked at that $100 for an entire week, even after the actual charge appeared.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.