Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tempted to App for AMEX Blue...

tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Tempted to App for AMEX Blue...

You have to establish credit history for them to trust you.  Don't spend on the charge and they might close your account. I haven't seen people getting shut down because of that. Searched this forum.

Ron.

Message 11 of 20
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

That seems a bit harsh. I'd imagine a decline would suffice.
Message 12 of 20
Ron1
Super Contributor

@-Cain- wrote:
That seems a bit harsh. I'd imagine a decline would suffice.

Sometimes, they might go as far as 4506T (income tax return release). It's Amex we're talking about.

Ron.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm really tempted to apply for an AMEX Blue, but not sure.  I got a preapproval in the mail for a PR Gold card and was approved 2 weeks ago(Backdated to 1992, had a card years ago!).  From what I understand, it's much easier to get a charge card with them and not as easy for a revolver.  Couple questions:

If I app for the Blue, will they use the same CR from a couple weeks ago or will it be a new HP?

I do have about 4 baddies falling off this year, but was approved for the PR Gold.  Is the Blue approval process much more difficult?

I applied for a Delta Skymiles AMEX a couple months ago and was declined with a EX FICO of 667.  Would I probably get the same result applying for the Blue as I got with Delta Skymiles?

Thanks for the feedback!

1) It would be a new HP upon approval

2) Congrats being approved for the charge card with those baddies...revolver cards are put to a higher standard for approval

3) How confident do you feel about applying now vs waiting 6 months of history with Amex?

Message 14 of 20
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

1) It would be a new HP upon approval

2) Congrats being approved for the charge card with those baddies...revolver cards are put to a higher standard for approval

3) How confident do you feel about applying now vs waiting 6 months of history with Amex?

+1   

#3 is the biggy.  Do you need the credit now.  Nice thing is, no matter when you apply, it will backdate! 

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 15 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm really tempted to apply for an AMEX Blue, but not sure.  I got a preapproval in the mail for a PR Gold card and was approved 2 weeks ago(Backdated to 1992, had a card years ago!).  From what I understand, it's much easier to get a charge card with them and not as easy for a revolver.  Couple questions:

If I app for the Blue, will they use the same CR from a couple weeks ago or will it be a new HP? It will be a new HP

I do have about 4 baddies falling off this year, but was approved for the PR Gold.  Is the Blue approval process much more difficult? I would wait until they fall off before apping

I applied for a Delta Skymiles AMEX a couple months ago and was declined with a EX FICO of 667.  Would I probably get the same result applying for the Blue as I got with Delta Skymiles? With your recent approval and your baddies still reporting, I think they would deny you for a revolver. They want to see some good history with the new account first.

Thanks for the feedback!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 16 of 20
CS800
Super Contributor

Good infor, i didnt know about the soft and hard from AMEX.

As a member, if I apply and get approved, its a HP and if it's denied it's a soft. Excellent !

Message 17 of 20
quest208
Frequent Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

Good infor, i didnt know about the soft and hard from AMEX.

As a member, if I apply and get approved, its a HP and if it's denied it's a soft. Excellent !

+1 me either.

that's good stuff!! 

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 18 of 20
blklnamru

Wow, does this work for secondary Amex (SPG) cardholders as well? I really want to apply for my own account with the Blue Everyday or Green Charge but I've been denied in the past (mid 2010). Been really trying to build up my CR and don't want a HP :-\ I currently have the SPG, BofA Amex (not a true Amex, thats why I'm applying) and a Secure Cap1 card. This new card will be the primary card & will replace the BofA
Message 19 of 20
CS800
Super Contributor

@blklnamru wrote:
Wow, does this work for secondary Amex (SPG) cardholders as well? I really want to apply for my own account with the Blue Everyday or Green Charge but I've been denied in the past (mid 2010). Been really trying to build up my CR and don't want a HP :-\ I currently have the SPG, BofA Amex (not a true Amex, thats why I'm applying) and a Secure Cap1 card. This new card will be the primary card & will replace the BofA

The SPG is an AMEX issued card so the rule about HP/SP for existing members will apply

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.