Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tempted to apply for United MileagePlus Explorer

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Tempted to apply for United MileagePlus Explorer

Should I? Smiley Surprised
The 35k bonus miles is enough to hook a one-way economy ticket to Korea for Holiday!

That's bout $900-1200 in savings.........

So effectively its $900 sign up bonus for $1000 spend.

By the way, for those who got the targetted 50-60k promos. Were you a United mileageplus member before you got the offer?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Tempted to apply for United MileagePlus Explorer

@enharu wrote:

Should I? Smiley Surprised
The 35k bonus miles is enough to hook a one-way economy ticket to Korea for Holiday!

That's bout $900-1200 in savings.........

So effectively its $900 sign up bonus for $1000 spend.

By the way, for those who got the targetted 50-60k promos. Were you a United mileageplus member before you got the offer?

It depends how often you fly on United. They pulled both EXP and TU when I applied last Dec. I already have United Miles member. I thought you were not going to apply for any more cards. Smiley Happy

Ron.

Message 2 of 15
TM82
Regular Contributor

I signed up for the card in a retail branch for the 50k offer, but many have had success sending a secure message to Chase after completing the bonus spend and getting matched up to the bonus offer.
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 3 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Isn't that the same 'reason' you used for Arrival or was that CSP? Lol
Message 4 of 15
UpNComing
Established Contributor

@TM82 wrote:
I signed up for the card in a retail branch for the 50k offer, but many have had success sending a secure message to Chase after completing the bonus spend and getting matched up to the bonus offer.

TM82, you're saying once the consumer's spending responsibility for the 30k bonus is complete Chase has upted the bonus to 50k upon request to match the 50k offer?

CSP ($5k); Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa Sig. ($6k); Chase Freedom Visa Sig. ($6k); BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Sig. ($5k); Amex PRG (NPSL); Amex BCE ($1k); Citi Thank You ($5.4k); Barclay Apple ($4.2k) CapOne Cash ($2.5k) CapOne Platinum ($2.5k) Wells Fargo Home Project Visa ($10.3k) Discover IT ($1.5k) WalMart ($3k); Lowes ($3k); Amazon ($5k); Kohls($1.5k)

Scores: Equ Fico 715 ~ Exp 724 ~ TU Fico 682
Message 5 of 15
TM82
Regular Contributor

@UpNComing wrote:

@TM82 wrote:

TM82, you're saying once the consumer's spending responsibility for the 30k bonus is complete Chase has upted the bonus to 50k upon request to match the 50k offer?

It's a YMMV, but there are reports that a match is successful.  My offer was the in branch offer for 50k after 2k spend, with an extra 5k for adding an AU.  I actually SM'd them requesting a match of the $50 statement credit (the in brach offer does not have it) and they were more than happy to give me the $50 statement credit.

My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 6 of 15
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Im one of the people who did this. I got offered 30k points and a $50 statement credit while purchasing united tix. Instant approval and the cost of the tix met the minimum spend for the bonus. I then called cs once the card arrived and complained that others got 50k and then cancelled the transaction, while I bought the tix and got 30k. They forwarded to marketing, who added the 20k the next month.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 7 of 15
parakleet
Valued Contributor

35k bonus miles is a good bonus so it's on my list of potential cards to app for in the foreseeable future. But it sounds like I may have a better offer by going into the branch! 50k! That's definitely worth apping for. But don't leave the garden if you're trying to stay. Smiley Wink

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 8 of 15
UpNComing
Established Contributor

Looks like I have a phone call to make.  We're way past the signup 30k bonus requirements.

CSP ($5k); Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa Sig. ($6k); Chase Freedom Visa Sig. ($6k); BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Sig. ($5k); Amex PRG (NPSL); Amex BCE ($1k); Citi Thank You ($5.4k); Barclay Apple ($4.2k) CapOne Cash ($2.5k) CapOne Platinum ($2.5k) Wells Fargo Home Project Visa ($10.3k) Discover IT ($1.5k) WalMart ($3k); Lowes ($3k); Amazon ($5k); Kohls($1.5k)

Scores: Equ Fico 715 ~ Exp 724 ~ TU Fico 682
Message 9 of 15
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@UpNComing wrote:

Looks like I have a phone call to make.  We're way past the signup 30k bonus requirements.

Good luckk - hope you get the addtional points.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.