Did you mean: 

Tempting balance transfer check offer

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Tempting balance transfer check offer

@pizza1 wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

I value my relationship with Barclays but I don't think they'd really care what the money is used for.  One of the suggestions that they list is just writting myself a check.  I got the energy efficency covered. It's pretty much a way of life now. My highest electric bill during the Summer was just over $90.00 (that's with central air). Current bill is $32.00. That is down 2/3 from the same time last year.  Something that I do once in awhile is look for bank offers for opening a new account. Recent rewards from doing that were $50.00 from one bank (kept that account) and $200.00 from other (worst bank I've ever dealt with. closed the account after I got the money). That money went towards last month's vacation.  I also do the coupon thing once in away. Not as good as some others but I can do ok. Do very well at CVS!  

I don't expect something like this to be life changing. Would be nice to take $5K, invest it at 10% and come out with an extra $500.00 with very little work. Okay, maybe $350.00 after taxes.  That would go towards another vacation.  Plus it would run up the account balance and show that it's been paid down over time instead of doing a PIF before the statement closes. I wouldn't want to go much beyound $5K. Don't want my score to take to much of a hit and also wouldn't want to spook them.

Strange that they present these offers to people then start balance chasing some accounts when they are used. 

Hey Mass...

I know theres been a lot of cray cray talk about Barclays lately and AA, and I do still stand firm on NOT doing a BT, or whatever is youre doing. Its a risk you take with any lender, I know you already know that, since youve thought it out some.  Im a firm believer that when you take advantage of BT's, and checks from Barclays, that somehow you get flagged in their system in the future. Ive been researching them, and taking notes literally for the last 2 yrs, and Ive decided they are my PIF lender. 

Theyre are known for not taking  AA immediately, its always a few months down the road. Barclays is a lender you want to PIF with monthly for best results, LOL..  Just my personal take. But if you decide, I wish you good luck, and hope it all works out. 

Thanks for the advice!  I've found that when I take advantage of one of their offers, they start sending me more. Seems like I get them every couple of weeks after that. I took advantage of their deferred interest promotion for Apple products a few weeks ago. Then I received these checks.  Same happened when I used a BT check last year. They kept pouring in after that. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 11 of 24
myjourney
Super Contributor

I get these checks at least once a month for the last 3 years and I would say the people that use them the majority see no Ill effects down the road

I think what needs to be looked at with Barclay's BT is if those BT's with adverse effects had been a BT from another lender?

The old move balance from A when 0% ends over to B and finally ending up with lender C and not making a big dent in the amount .....it happens for sure 

Any lender on account review could certainly detect/spot this pattern and say oh no no no I'm going to make money off of this loan 

Let see Chase had 3600 balance up until May when Discover opened with a 3500 balance 11 months later Cap 1 opens with a 2900 balance and each time a new card opened the previous card dropped to 0 balance .....

That being said check your math to be safe because I've never seen a check with 1% BT fee 

5K BT for $50? 

Usually they're 3-4% min $5 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@masscredit wrote:

I value my relationship with Barclays but I don't think they'd really care what the money is used for.  One of the suggestions that they list is just writting myself a check.  I got the energy efficency covered. It's pretty much a way of life now. My highest electric bill during the Summer was just over $90.00 (that's with central air). Current bill is $32.00. That is down 2/3 from the same time last year.  Something that I do once in awhile is look for bank offers for opening a new account. Recent rewards from doing that were $50.00 from one bank (kept that account) and $200.00 from other (worst bank I've ever dealt with. closed the account after I got the money). That money went towards last month's vacation.  I also do the coupon thing once in away. Not as good as some others but I can do ok. Do very well at CVS!  

I don't expect something like this to be life changing. Would be nice to take $5K, invest it at 10% and come out with an extra $500.00 with very little work. Okay, maybe $350.00 after taxes.  That would go towards another vacation.  Plus it would run up the account balance and show that it's been paid down over time instead of doing a PIF before the statement closes. I wouldn't want to go much beyound $5K. Don't want my score to take to much of a hit and also wouldn't want to spook them.

Strange that they present these offers to people then start balance chasing some accounts when they are used. 

I think you have a solid plan masscredit. Like another poster stated make sure you check your math and read the fine print on your BT offer. I do BTs all the time on my Ring cc to give it use and, to date, I have not experienced AA. 

Unless you're looking to buy a home or apply for new credit, I wouldn't worry about utilization. I don't know anything about netspend but I think earning money for very little work is always a plus. Enjoy! Please let us know what you decide to do.

Message 13 of 24
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I'm looking at the checks now. There are actually two sets of checks. They are -

The first two (blue) - 

0% promotional APR through at least February 1, 2017

Transaction fee: Greater of $5 pr 1%

The second two (white) -

0% promotional APR tjough at least May 1, 2017

Transaction fee: Greater of $5 or 3%

Transaction(s) most post to account by January 4, 2016

Promotional APR through the last day of the billing cycle that ends on or after February 1st / May 1st.

Others here might see this offer too.

I'm taking a look into the Netspend to see what it's about.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 14 of 24
vayub4
Regular Contributor

I got this same offer about 2 months ago. Too bad my Barclay has only $3k limit.... I took $2500 in my checking account and paid only $25 in fees!!! And nothing has changed as far as my relationship with them is concerned. Limit is still the same, though my scores took a little hit, i don't really care about it because I don't plan to app for anything soon. I also kno that the scores will be back up as soon as I pay it off in december 2016

Discover IT $25,500 Chase Freedom $14,500 CapOne QuickSilver $10,000 Walmart Mastercard $10,000 PayPal Xtras Mastercard $10,000 JCP $7,500 BOA Cash Rewards $6,900 OldNavy Visa $5,000 BarclayCard $3,700 Macys $3,500 HH Gregg $3,500 BestBuy $2,000 Last APP June/2016(useless rental apartment)Inquiries: Trans/7 Exp/16 Eqi/27
(1 Car Loan @2.74%)
Message 15 of 24
datrucking210
Established Contributor

In our experience, we have been carrying a balance of $2400 on my DW barclays reward CC since February of this year. It was an emergency and she wrote a check to herself. This was around the time her CL was $2500 so she almost maxed it out. A couple a days later she got an CLI of 1k automatically. Is like she got rewarded. We have made a couple of purchases but paying those in full and just leaving the $2,400 since it's 0% interest till April 2016. A couple of weeks ago she got another increase and now her CL is $4,450. We haven't experience any AA yet but we do plan to pay it off in February.

Mid 500's Spring 2014 As of 06/07/16 EQ-700^ TU-738^ EX-697v In the Garden 5/28/16! Goals 750 across the board end of 2016
AU:
Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@masscredit wrote:

I'm looking at the checks now. There are actually two sets of checks. They are -

The first two (blue) - 

0% promotional APR through at least February 1, 2017

Transaction fee: Greater of $5 pr 1%

The second two (white) -

0% promotional APR tjough at least May 1, 2017

Transaction fee: Greater of $5 or 3%

Transaction(s) most post to account by January 4, 2016

Promotional APR through the last day of the billing cycle that ends on or after February 1st / May 1st.

Others here might see this offer too.

I'm taking a look into the Netspend to see what it's about.

I trust your judgement masscredit. You will make the right decision for yourself.

Message 17 of 24
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

How can other lenders tell introductory 0% APR vs promotional 0% APR vs regular credit card interest?

Message 18 of 24
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

How can other lenders tell introductory 0% APR vs promotional 0% APR vs regular credit card interest?

They can't 

However they can see balances and monthly payments which if you think about it can say just what amount you've paid and how long the amount has and is being carried Smiley Surprised

3600 balance May 2015

25.00 monthly paid June 2015 through Feb 2016 (minimum payments) 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 19 of 24
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

And then of course it's often said never to charge anything to card when used in a 0% APR period. But if I remember correctly, it's okay as long as you pay in full the charges as well as the promotional balance minimum. Have forgotten though whether those charges have to paid within the billing cycle or within the corresponding grace period!

Added: Revisited a summary of the Credit Card Act, see Higher Interest Rate Balances Paid First, so the grace period. Maybe.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.