cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tempur-Pedic with Wells Fargo; any experiences and/or opinions?

tag
slarano
Frequent Contributor

Tempur-Pedic with Wells Fargo; any experiences and/or opinions?

After attending a mattress seminar today in NYC, and seeing the presentations of all the leading mattress companies, I decided to see what kind of response I would get by app'ing for a Tempur-Pedic line of credit, backed by Wells Fargo. I also did so because I don't have any history with Wells Fargo and wanted to get in the game with them, even if it's just with an account like this. I was approved for a $4.2K CL, and though I don't have any immediate plans on purchasing through them, I'd like to hear your opinions on the account. I've been using smaller cards to help build my credit over the past 3 or so years (for example, two very low limit cards (one Mastercard, one Discover) through HSBC that have typically stayed at $0 balance), but am wondering if it would be better to close these accounts now (since they carry annual fees) assuming they hurt my overall available credit limit. I know keeping accounts open and at $0 balance with a small purchase or two to stay active then PIF is the way to go, but when comes the point that a small rebuilder card like what I mentioned above hurts my chances of getting more prime CC's. I'm by no means at the level I want to be at (713 TU as of last week), but I don't want to plateau either.

ImageImageImage

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: Tempur-Pedic with Wells Fargo; any experiences and/or opinions?

@simonlarano wrote:

After attending a mattress seminar today in NYC, and seeing the presentations of all the leading mattress companies, I decided to see what kind of response I would get by app'ing for a Tempur-Pedic line of credit, backed by Wells Fargo. I also did so because I don't have any history with Wells Fargo and wanted to get in the game with them, even if it's just with an account like this. I was approved for a $4.2K CL, and though I don't have any immediate plans on purchasing through them, I'd like to hear your opinions on the account. I've been using smaller cards to help build my credit over the past 3 or so years (for example, two very low limit cards (one Mastercard, one Discover) through HSBC that have typically stayed at $0 balance), but am wondering if it would be better to close these accounts now (since they carry annual fees) assuming they hurt my overall available credit limit. I know keeping accounts open and at $0 balance with a small purchase or two to stay active then PIF is the way to go, but when comes the point that a small rebuilder card like what I mentioned above hurts my chances of getting more prime CC's. I'm by no means at the level I want to be at (713 TU as of last week), but I don't want to plateau either.

I would apply and get replacement cards before I close them. Once you get your replacement cards, hurry up and close any AF cards.

(As you said you are building not re-building, I am assuming you have a thin file but no baddies. Anything I say after this line uses this assumption)

I would first try to app for something like chase freedom and a store card like GEMB (JCP/Walmart).

Once you have your chase/GEMB cards, you should add a third card (some master card for variety).

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tempur-Pedic with Wells Fargo; any experiences and/or opinions?

can't that be a consumer finance account which isn't ideal?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.