Frequent Contributor
slarano

Tempur-Pedic with Wells Fargo; any experiences and/or opinions?

After attending a mattress seminar today in NYC, and seeing the presentations of all the leading mattress companies, I decided to see what kind of response I would get by app'ing for a Tempur-Pedic line of credit, backed by Wells Fargo. I also did so because I don't have any history with Wells Fargo and wanted to get in the game with them, even if it's just with an account like this. I was approved for a $4.2K CL, and though I don't have any immediate plans on purchasing through them, I'd like to hear your opinions on the account. I've been using smaller cards to help build my credit over the past 3 or so years (for example, two very low limit cards (one Mastercard, one Discover) through HSBC that have typically stayed at $0 balance), but am wondering if it would be better to close these accounts now (since they carry annual fees) assuming they hurt my overall available credit limit. I know keeping accounts open and at $0 balance with a small purchase or two to stay active then PIF is the way to go, but when comes the point that a small rebuilder card like what I mentioned above hurts my chances of getting more prime CC's. I'm by no means at the level I want to be at (713 TU as of last week), but I don't want to plateau either.

myFICO Starting Scores: TU 643 03.10.09 EX 676 01.09.09 EQ 638 05.24.09
Current Score: (WalMart FICO) TU 792 04.03.13 (Mortgage Lender - HP) EX 745 02.06.13 (Mortgage Lender - HP) EQ 771 02.06.13
Goal Score: 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
vish1

Re: Tempur-Pedic with Wells Fargo; any experiences and/or opinions?

simonlarano wrote:

After attending a mattress seminar today in NYC, and seeing the presentations of all the leading mattress companies, I decided to see what kind of response I would get by app'ing for a Tempur-Pedic line of credit, backed by Wells Fargo. I also did so because I don't have any history with Wells Fargo and wanted to get in the game with them, even if it's just with an account like this. I was approved for a $4.2K CL, and though I don't have any immediate plans on purchasing through them, I'd like to hear your opinions on the account. I've been using smaller cards to help build my credit over the past 3 or so years (for example, two very low limit cards (one Mastercard, one Discover) through HSBC that have typically stayed at $0 balance), but am wondering if it would be better to close these accounts now (since they carry annual fees) assuming they hurt my overall available credit limit. I know keeping accounts open and at $0 balance with a small purchase or two to stay active then PIF is the way to go, but when comes the point that a small rebuilder card like what I mentioned above hurts my chances of getting more prime CC's. I'm by no means at the level I want to be at (713 TU as of last week), but I don't want to plateau either.

I would apply and get replacement cards before I close them. Once you get your replacement cards, hurry up and close any AF cards.

(As you said you are building not re-building, I am assuming you have a thin file but no baddies. Anything I say after this line uses this assumption)

I would first try to app for something like chase freedom and a store card like GEMB (JCP/Walmart).

Once you have your chase/GEMB cards, you should add a third card (some master card for variety).

Amex PRG | BoA Cash rewards 35K | BoA Cash rewards 7K | Citi AAdvantage 15 K | Chase Sapphire Preferred 11 K | Chase Freedom 10k | Chase United 5 K | Chase Southwest 5K | Chase Airtran 6.4K | Discover IT 8K | Barclays US Airways 7.8 K | DCU 3 K | US Bank Flex Perks 8K | Toys r US 6 K | JC Penney 4.6 K | Macy's 1200 | Kohl's 600
Ex Fico: 762 (PSECU)
EQ Fico: 764 (DCU)
TX Fico: 773 (Discover)
Established Contributor
gbishere

Re: Tempur-Pedic with Wells Fargo; any experiences and/or opinions?

can't that be a consumer finance account which isn't ideal?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}