Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terms of Orchard Bank credit card

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

Terms of Orchard Bank credit card

As part of my credit rebuild I added an Orchard Bank credit card.  It started out at an annual fee of less than 100, a very low limit, and high interest rate.

Over the last two years, my limit has increased to $570, and my credit has improved quite a bit (see my journal linked below).

My question:

Will HSBC lower the rate and/or reduce or eliminate the annual fee?  Has anyone had success requesting this?  What method is best, a letter or phone call?  Would a request like this result in a hard pull?

Thanks for the help. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Terms of Orchard Bank credit card

Still no luck with OB converting to a better product.  *sigh*

Message 2 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Just get a couple new prime cards now that your scores are good and close Orchard... they are terrible once you have good credit but great to help you rebuild.

Message 3 of 10
p-
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Just get a couple new prime cards now that your scores are good and close Orchard... they are terrible once you have good credit but great to help you rebuild.

Yeah, that's what I'm finding...  I'm holding out for a USAA card so I can do the instant deposit with them.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had a secured Orchard card for about 14 months.  I was paying my bill online and emailed CS about when it would convert to unsecured.  Answer came back it wouldn't - I could close and apply for one of my other cards (this was December.)  After reading a bunch of posts here I called the backdoor number in January and the CS agent I spoke to told me that accounts aren't reviewed until there is an 18 month history and that review comes automatically.  I'm not sure I believe her, but that's the story I was told!

Message 5 of 10
p-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had a secured Orchard card for about 14 months.  I was paying my bill online and emailed CS about when it would convert to unsecured.  Answer came back it wouldn't - I could close and apply for one of my other cards (this was December.)  After reading a bunch of posts here I called the backdoor number in January and the CS agent I spoke to told me that accounts aren't reviewed until there is an 18 month history and that review comes automatically.  I'm not sure I believe her, but that's the story I was told!

Mine has been unsecured from the start; what I really want is conversion to a no annual fee card.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had my Orchard card for years, it was the first card that I got when I rebuilt. I get my annual fee waived every year for the last 4 years. If you are with them awhile and by that I mean several years, show a good history, never late they will waive the fee.

Message 7 of 10
p-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had my Orchard card for years, it was the first card that I got when I rebuilt. I get my annual fee waived every year for the last 4 years. If you are with them awhile and by that I mean several years, show a good history, never late they will waive the fee.

Thanks for the heads up;  Did you just call customer service each year before it posted, or after it showed up on the bill?  Any suggestions on how to approach the request?

Thx;

Message 8 of 10
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I just called the backdoor number a couple of days ago and was told the same thing. When I first activated the account, they told me it would be due for a CLI in six months. I wonder what's going on?

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 9 of 10
p-
Valued Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

the CS agent I spoke to told me that accounts aren't reviewed until there is an 18 month history and that review comes automatically. 

I just called the backdoor number a couple of days ago and was told the same thing. When I first activated the account, they told me it would be due for a CLI in six months. I wonder what's going on?

I got my first CL increase way earlier than that, but lately they tell me that they aren't doing increases at all.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.