Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible experiance w/Barclays

tag
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

Terrible experiance w/Barclays

So I applied for their Arrival+ WEMC and was approved with a limit smaller than I wanted. I called in and asked for a reconsideration of the limit and was asked a bunch of info which I gave them. They then asked me some addition info, one of which was "where does RELATIVE NAME currently live?" Thing is, I have 2 (3 if counting a deceased one) relatives with the exact same first and last name that live in my city. So I think I screwed up that question, and got transfered to some rude guy who said I'm not who I'm claiming to be, etc.

Told me my account is locked (the Arrival+) and I would have to send in my Drivers Licence (both sides), my Social Security card (both sides) and a utility bill with my name. So I hung up and called them back in hopes of talking to someone who is less insane. I got transfered to an analyst who went ahead and checked my original question (the CL recon), told me that currently he can't, blah blah. So I asked him if he can look into my Arrival+ and see if its locked because I was told that it was earlier, he looked into it and said he doesn't see any locks. So I asked him to transfer part of my Arrival+ limit to my SallieMae card. He was able to do it etc, so I asked just to make sure that none of my cards are locked so he went ahead and transffered me to that same guy who locked my Arrival+, but this time he also locked my SallieMae.

At this point I got really mad. He hung up on me and I called them and said I want to close both of my accounts with them because of the horrible customer service that I'm getting. Once again I got transffered to that same guy who told me they won't close my account until I send in documents because first it needs to be unlocked and only then can I close it. So he threw the phrase "industry regulations" at me a bunch of times and hung up.

I really don't want to mail them sensitive information like this, especially after reading some stories that people are forced to mail it multiple times and there are no records of them getting it, etc. They also don't take fax. Mail only.

Any advice? I really don't want to speak to these guys over the phone anymore.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Terrible experiance w/Barclays

Just mail the info. in.  You have nothing to worry about in terms of sensitive information since that already have your SS#.  They just want to make sure the account isn't being hacked.  No excuse to ever yell at somebody that is just following their company's policy and procedure. 

I wouldn't close the Sallie Mae card.  It's pretty awesome and if you haven't already used the bonus from Arrival, then I would keep that card open too.  Not to mention the effect on your credit. 

That being said, Barclay's is pretty low in the customer service department.  I've rarely found them to be very helpful. 

Message 2 of 23
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Wow they DO have some hard-to-deal-with peeps in that group alright.

Others can offer more productive opinions and suggestions i assume but i MUST be up front on this. For whatever reason that the security review kicked in IMO it's always best to comply IF YOU SO CHOOSE. If not i don't know what other recourse is available for you.

I been through a very similar ordeal with Capital One once and while it was an inconveniece for over a week (send, verify received, process, then confirmed) all is usually well and any restraints are then lifted.

They are within their rights to request confirmation of identity no matter how much we protest and even though they already have most if not all of that data already registered in their systems.

You seem to have had an unfortunate occurance of a CSR who also took the liberty to put the brakes on the other card too. Just wow but OP it does happen.

This is nothing new and it's best to just bite the bullitt and forward what they requested.

Your Choice Of Course.

Message 3 of 23
Dcyphrz
Established Member

@Kostya1992 wrote:

... I have 2 (3 if counting a deceased one) relatives with the exact same first and last name that live in my city.

Your SSN should identity you.  I mean, they already issued you credit so I dunno what the other two people would have to do with it.  You may just have to mail in what they need.  I'd do whatever results in you getting what you want, whether it's closing the account or something else.  Unfortunately, they're in control of the matter. 

On the other hand, it's probably good that they lock the accounts since fraud does happen so often.  I know it's frustrating though. 

Message 4 of 23
alexl22
Regular Contributor

@Dcyphrz wrote:

@Kostya1992 wrote:

... I have 2 (3 if counting a deceased one) relatives with the exact same first and last name that live in my city.

Your SSN should identity you.  I mean, they already issued you credit so I dunno what the other two people would have to do with it.  You may just have to mail in what they need.  I'd do whatever results in you getting what you want, whether it's closing the account or something else.  Unfortunately, they're in control of the matter. 

On the other hand, it's probably good that they lock the accounts since fraud does happen so often.  I know it's frustrating though. 

It was a security question, the OP stated that 3 (including 1 deceased) relatives have the same name and he answered incorrectly, hench them freezing the card. In this day and age where anyone can have access to your SS#, thats the purpose of those second lvl questions. I have failed once before and had to submit all the required information. As other stated it sucks, but its their game to play.

Starting Score: myFICO TU: 542, myFICO EQ: 556 EX: 549 (03/2013)
Current Score: 729 TU, EQ: 702, EX 724

Message 5 of 23
Appleman
Valued Contributor

As one poster on the forum states or has in his tagline, 'Don't take credit personally'.

It is unfortunate that you did have poor customer service but to the defense of the CC company, they are actually trying to protect you(us) from fraud.

As you know people on the other end of a phone (or computer for that matter) will behave in ways they would not if you were face to face.

Once you feel like you can talk without being angry at Barclays call back to custome service. I would call at a time that the employee you talked with would not likely be working (morning versus evening, weekend). Let them know you felt you received poor customer service,  but would like to remain cooperative and provide the information they require to clearly identify you as the account holder.. Anything that makes you look like the calm customer. 

I imagine they will still want copies of identification. If you are worries you could always send it with tracking or signature required. 

Trust me I get it, why spend your money with someone who does not treat you well. I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of knowing they pissed me off and punish myself by having a good tradeline closed down. 

Good luck!

Message 6 of 23
Dcyphrz
Established Member

@alexl22 wrote:

It was a security question...

Ah, ok, read that one way too fast.  Nm.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 23
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

File a complaint with the CFPB and attach the appropriate info there. State that you want your accounts unlocked, I'm sure they will comply.

Message 8 of 23
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@-Cal- wrote:

File a complaint with the CFPB and attach the appropriate info there. State that you want your accounts unlocked, I'm sure they will comply.

Not sure failing a security question is a good reason to file a CFPB complaint especially given all the data breach reports out there from retailers. Lenders have the right to close or "lock" your account anytime they want, especially if they have a question as to the ID of the caller - I would think the CFPB would agree that the lender is acting in the best interest of the customer and the lender. 

Just sayin....

Message 9 of 23
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@pipeguy wrote:

@-Cal- wrote:

Not sure failing a security question is a good reason to file a CFPB complaint especially given all the data breach reports out there from retailers. Lenders have the right to close or "lock" your account anytime they want, especially if they have a question as to the ID of the caller - I would think the CFPB would agree that the lender is acting in the best interest of the customer and the lender. 

Just sayin....

Agree.  Admittedly, I didn't witness the interaction but by no means was Barclays in violation to warrant CFBP intervention.  If the OP got "hooked" on a statement the agent may have mentioned, I could see the reaction being in the defensive, but the agent was simply following their internal security guidelines.

By the same token, if I inadvertently fail a security question while authenticating access online (absent any CSR interaction), should I file a complaint with the CFPB? 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.