Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing Discover.....what do you think?

tag
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Testing Discover.....what do you think?

I've had a Discover card for almost two years now. I've only had one cli and it cost me a hp. They just will not give me one with a sp. I use the card every month. I run about 400.00 monthly thru it and pif before the statement date. I have never ran a balance with them and I think that may be the problem. Right now I owe about 800.00 to them and I was going to pif now but want to try and let that balance hit on the 25th and then pif. Should I try this for a few months to see if it makes a difference? My overall utilization is 12%. Is it risky to let more post?
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
changingmantra2
Regular Contributor

Re: Testing Discover.....what do you think?

For my first couple of CLI - I HAD to get them by way of HPs - although interestingly -  I only saw one appear on my CR -  Nevertheless..... there might not be a way around this for now.  There have been a few peole lately saying they have gotten them... so ....   I believe in my case - not only did carrying balances helpe with those approvals - but I got those increases by sayng that I wante to make BTs. 

“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”
― Maya Angelou
Message 2 of 42
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

yeah I think you just need to let the hp be done and speak directly wtih underwriter if computer doesn't respond well even with hp and ask for a LOT since you are taking the hp.

my partner and I finally doubled from $4500-$9k after a year and letting them hp and system initially declined all together but after be transferred to underwriting they talked to us and reviewed credit and approved.

Message 3 of 42
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I don't really "need" a cli but it just bugs me that they are the only place that won't do one with a sp....lol I know y'all will understand......I have nothing to app for and I'm getting antsy for some cc instant gratification Smiley Happy

If I were to ask for one with a hp, what would be a good amount to ask for? Double? I would like for the card to at least sit at 5k.
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 4 of 42
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Auto CLI's are great, but it seems like if you bite the bullet and take the HP you get a much larger CLI, so far in my experience at least.  In 3 months I've taken 2 HP's with Discover and went up $2200 (I've had the card 4 months).  Barclay was the same, they gave me a 2X auto CLI (very nice) but when I called and took an HP I got another $2700.  It wont hurt to let a balance report with Discover, they seem to like that (its going to be my test now as well).  I've allowed them 2 HP's and a little bit of interest, gonna see if that results in anything in 3-6 months. 

Edit:  If your going to ask and take the HP shoot high!  This has been my mistake twice cause I always chicken out when talking to the analyst, they will counter if your offer is to much. 

Message 5 of 42
MrCredit
Established Contributor

I have the same issue with Discover. I am stuck at $4k. I have been with them a little more than a year and have always paid in full except for once and never went more than 75% of my CL at a time. Cannot get CLI from them either. I hate the way they operate but the reality is they are very conservative. 

Message 6 of 42
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@MrCredit wrote:

I have the same issue with Discover. I am stuck at $4k. I have been with them a little more than a year and have always paid in full except for once and never went more than 75% of my CL at a time. Cannot get CLI from them either. I hate the way they operate but the reality is they are very conservative. 

Have you offered to take a HP?

Message 7 of 42
MrCredit
Established Contributor

No I have too many inquiries right now and do not need the increase really just would like it for util.

Message 8 of 42
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:
I don't really "need" a cli but it just bugs me that they are the only place that won't do one with a sp....lol I know y'all will understand......I have nothing to app for and I'm getting antsy for some cc instant gratification Smiley Happy

If I were to ask for one with a hp, what would be a good amount to ask for? Double? I would like for the card to at least sit at 5k.

If you're not looking to app for new credit, why are you playing the utilization game with discover by PIF before the statement cuts?

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 9 of 42
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

i tried asking for a cli and it said it would be a hp.  i asked for a 1300 and then again a 1000,  both said a hp.  i just recently received a auto cli of 300.  it seems like i have been getting a 300 auto cli every 3 months.  i've had it a year and gone from 2500 to 3700.

Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.