cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing Discover.....what do you think?

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Testing Discover.....what do you think?

@mongstradamus wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@parakleet wrote:

I've gotten two CLIs from discover since I opened the card in April 2014 ($5500 ➡️ $6500 ➡️ $8500). Both CLIs were with SPs.

I am going to try and be patient with them,when it comes to CLI. I am just wondering if discover low cl effects future initial cl for new apps of other cards 

Don't worry about that. My Discover limit was 2,5K,  the others around 5-10K and Citi got me 17K, Barclays 10K and Chase 16K. Nobody else seemed to care about the small Discover limit.

Hmmm thats interesting, I was just wondering if my really low discover CL made Chase double pull me on my last CSP app. I just want to make sure i will get decent CL when i app for sallie mae in Oct, possibly world mastercard?

Nope.. Chase double pulled me before they saw the low Discover limit at that time... Chase is a double puller for me for everything and the lender that gives me the most headaches (do not understand their system).... Since my 13 months with Freedom I try to convert to a Siggy but constantly get denied. Asking for the reason is a mission impossible even through the executive office. They will not tell me what they are looking for. Denial reason for Siggy on my Freedom might be high APR of 22,99% Smiley Sad  but I got that card with 790 Fico and now it is 810 Fico and still denied. But Chase gives me new Signature cards with 15K limits ..does this make sense?

I will also apply for Sallie Mae in the next week or so and hope for 5K WMC version. Hesitant to try  CSP app just for curiosity to test what Chase will do with a new app other than a double pull..ha ha... Just got another denial for conversion of my Freedom Smiley Sad  To that logic it should be a straight denial for CSP if I app Smiley Sad

Maybe maybe not. I just apped on 12th got double pulled ex and tu, nobody wants to pull eq.I have half the HP on eq as the other two. 

I am interested to see how your Sallie Mae app goes ,right now my tu is at 807,when my discover posted the tu08 score on 5/20. Wondering if I let some of my HP reach one year anniversary.when I apply in October hopefully will be good to get wmc.

Back to topic of discover I don't really know what I should do just eat an HP and get an CLI to at least 7500? The other option I was mulling was close card and immediately reapply since my I don't have many eq HP.is that possible ?

For me the main reason for not HP Discover CLI was the app for Sallie Mae. Barclays pulls TU and Discover CLIs are TU.  As for Chase double pulls it has always been EQ/EX for me so if I shoot right after Sallie Mae for a CSP it should end up with 1 pull per CRA to my logic.  Sallie Mae is 06/01.. ...my fingers get itchy now....lol

edit: I am waiting for an updated TU Fico and curious if I can break the 800 mark there as well Smiley Happy... EQ Fico is easy manipulation with number of accounts reporting a balance but TU looks that it does not react the same way Smiley Sad

Message 31 of 42
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@parakleet wrote:

I've gotten two CLIs from discover since I opened the card in April 2014 ($5500 ➡️ $6500 ➡️ $8500). Both CLIs were with SPs.

I am going to try and be patient with them,when it comes to CLI. I am just wondering if discover low cl effects future initial cl for new apps of other cards 

Don't worry about that. My Discover limit was 2,5K,  the others around 5-10K and Citi got me 17K, Barclays 10K and Chase 16K. Nobody else seemed to care about the small Discover limit.

Hmmm thats interesting, I was just wondering if my really low discover CL made Chase double pull me on my last CSP app. I just want to make sure i will get decent CL when i app for sallie mae in Oct, possibly world mastercard?

Nope.. Chase double pulled me before they saw the low Discover limit at that time... Chase is a double puller for me for everything and the lender that gives me the most headaches (do not understand their system).... Since my 13 months with Freedom I try to convert to a Siggy but constantly get denied. Asking for the reason is a mission impossible even through the executive office. They will not tell me what they are looking for. Denial reason for Siggy on my Freedom might be high APR of 22,99% Smiley Sad  but I got that card with 790 Fico and now it is 810 Fico and still denied. But Chase gives me new Signature cards with 15K limits ..does this make sense?

I will also apply for Sallie Mae in the next week or so and hope for 5K WMC version. Hesitant to try  CSP app just for curiosity to test what Chase will do with a new app other than a double pull..ha ha... Just got another denial for conversion of my Freedom Smiley Sad  To that logic it should be a straight denial for CSP if I app Smiley Sad

Maybe maybe not. I just apped on 12th got double pulled ex and tu, nobody wants to pull eq.I have half the HP on eq as the other two. 

I am interested to see how your Sallie Mae app goes ,right now my tu is at 807,when my discover posted the tu08 score on 5/20. Wondering if I let some of my HP reach one year anniversary.when I apply in October hopefully will be good to get wmc.

Back to topic of discover I don't really know what I should do just eat an HP and get an CLI to at least 7500? The other option I was mulling was close card and immediately reapply since my I don't have many eq HP.is that possible ?

For me the main reason for not HP Discover CLI was the app for Sallie Mae. Barclays pulls TU and Discover CLIs are TU.  As for Chase double pulls it has always been EQ/EX for me so if I shoot right after Sallie Mae for a CSP it should end up with 1 pull per CRA to my logic.  Sallie Mae is 06/01.. ...my fingers get itchy now....lol

Well my plan was app Sallie Mae first then ask for HP CLI on discover an month or so later.if I cancel card and reapply would only use eq HP right? Do you think they would even allow that ?

My whole reasoning of waiting till October is I will already have 5% gas with freedom ,so I can use that to transfer to CSP UR points.still have 6% groceries with BCP,so I can hold off 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 32 of 42
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

If you want it for gas and already have the 5% then it might be worth to wait until October. I need the 5% for Amazon mainly and therefore would like the Sallie Mae asap. Discover 5K is fine for me now but of course I will try in November to play with the luv button again but if not successful it does not matter much. With 5K cards I can live but that 2,5K was really a hassle.

What do you mean by cancel the card again?  You mean if you do not get WMC but Platinum? same EQ pull?  which card are you talking about ? Barclays should be TU and Discover CLI is normally also TU.

Message 33 of 42
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I meant cancel my it, and reapply so would use an eq HP as opposed to if I went for CLI ,which would be tu. It's an bit annoying that discover site says CLI in progress, so can't really try on website.

The plan is waiting till after 3q gas categories .also have hps from last year that his one year end of September .

Message 34 of 42
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

I meant cancel my it, and reapply so would use an eq HP as opposed to if I went for CLI ,which would be tu. It's an bit annoying that discover site says CLI in progress, so can't really try on website.

The plan is waiting till after 3q gas categories .also have hps from last year that his one year end of September .

If the limit on Discover is really bothering you maybe you should take the HP. It will most probably be on TU. Do not cancel and reapply for Discover as this will only lower  your AAoA and the result will probably not be any better than from a CLI request with a HP.  (my 2 cents) As for Chase Freedom I do need to consider cancelling and reapply if I ever want to get a Signature version.  How long have you had your Discover card? It might take a while to get the SP CLIs...for me it was 15 months for the first reaction but I was not in a rush and simply waited it out. I told myself if no SP CLI I will do it in December 14 with a HP when many of my inq will fall off.  But if really important then I would have done the HP. For me the Sallie Mae had priority and therfore it was a no go with a  Discover HP for a CLI. I have way too many new accounts to afford any more pulls for a Barclaycard app Smiley Sad....we will see if that plan pays out in a few days.

@OP sorry for hijacking your thread Smiley Happy

Message 35 of 42
AirlinerDudeB6
Regular Contributor

FWIW, I have never let a balance post on my Discover It Card (always PIF), but I was granted a CLI after 5 months of being open with only a soft pull.

Just last week I got curious and hit the LUV button and it said I had to call the 800 number.  Most everyone says this means they need to hard pull, but they gave me a 2X CLI with just a soft after a few questions.

Discover It - $25.5k | Sam's Club MasterCard - $25k | Chase Sapphire Reserve $23.8k | Amex EveryDay - $23k | Barclays JetBlue - $23k | Citi TYP - $7.1k | Cap1 Quicksilver WMC - $7k | Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature - $6.5k | Chase Freedom - $3.2k | Amex Gold - NPSL |
TU 08 FICO - 812 | EQ 08 FICO - 799 | EX 08 FICO - 793 |

Utilization - 16% | AAOA - 4.3 years | In Garden - Since 9/6/16
Message 36 of 42
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

I've allowed them 2 HP's and a little bit of interest, gonna see if that results in anything in 3-6 months. 

Given I believe (in general) CLIs have no actual value, my rule would be: NEVER pay interest just to get one.

I found value in being able to put a BT on the card for 12 months at 0% as well as purchase some bigger items at Home Depot, plus get the 5% CB.  4-5 dollars in interest is nothing when compared to the hundreds I've gotten in CB already.  I like the available credit for Util as well so the value in CLI's is very high for me. 

Message 37 of 42
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

If the limit on Discover is really bothering you maybe you should take the HP. It will most probably be on TU. Do not cancel and reapply for Discover as this will only lower  your AAoA and the result will probably not be any better than from a CLI request with a HP.  (my 2 cents) As for Chase Freedom I do need to consider cancelling and reapply if I ever want to get a Signature version.  How long have you had your Discover card? It might take a while to get the SP CLIs...for me it was 15 months for the first reaction but I was not in a rush and simply waited it out. I told myself if no SP CLI I will do it in December 14 with a HP when many of my inq will fall off.  But if really important then I would have done the HP. For me the Sallie Mae had priority and therfore it was a no go with a  Discover HP for a CLI. I have way too many new accounts to afford any more pulls for a Barclaycard app Smiley Sad....we will see if that plan pays out in a few days.

+1 I needed the CLI, I use Discover almost exclusively.  I wanted to do a BT and take advantage of 0% for 12 months (not to mention be done with my Cap1 card).  My online page said I already had a CLI in progress, so I called and they said no problem but it'll be a HP...in my case it was well worth it.  I went from $800 -> $2000 -> $3000 in 3 months, had the card for 4 months.  I have 5 HP's falling off in 2 months so adding the Discover HP's was no problem since I actually wanted the line. 

Message 38 of 42
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Yeah I am going to reassess what i want to do after my sallie mae app in october. That is going to take precedence. Discover right now is on 5% duty, and shopdiscover, which makes the card worth keeping imo. 

Message 39 of 42
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@AirlinerDudeB6 wrote:

FWIW, I have never let a balance post on my Discover It Card (always PIF), but I was granted a CLI after 5 months of being open with only a soft pull.

Just last week I got curious and hit the LUV button and it said I had to call the 800 number.  Most everyone says this means they need to hard pull, but they gave me a 2X CLI with just a soft after a few questions.

I heard its really hit or miss with leaving balance on card to get that SP cli, I have had card since september so i am coming up on 9 months now with the card. I haven't got one chance to sp cli, everytime i have called they want to HP. I have pif every month. I am going to try leaving an balance and see what discover says with an CLI , i am at loss what else i can really do 

Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.