Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texaco / Chevron Closed Due to Inactivity

tag
spritezero1017
Valued Member

Texaco / Chevron Closed Due to Inactivity

Past two weeks has found me with great progress having gotten a new car loan and 5 new cards upping my avaialabe credit lines from $9380.00 to $46,500 on some real quality card products. I've been reviewing my older cards for possible closure as I pat fees on some I don't need with these newer, much better, cards. 

I have (had!) a Texaco / Chevrom card that I opened 2 years ago and have never used once. I thought it was great when I got it b/c I was only re-building credit and was grateful to have it. But I also have a Marathon and Citgo cards so just never used it and didn't really know that you have to now and again to keep activity. So I logged on yesterday to look over the account with the intent on using it a bit for activity sake but saw it had been closed. I chatted with a rep who said they can't just re-open it but I was welcome to re-apply online. Told her no thanks, don't really need it and that would not benefit me in any way. 

So just a heads up to newer guys like me - if you want and-or need your cards - even seemingly less "important" ones - use them here and there or they'll get closed. 

Credit Cards
Chase Slate (16.4K) / First National AmEx (12.7K), Citi AAdvantage (11K), Barclay Arrival (10.5K) / Capital One Quicksilver (10K), Wells Fargo Rewards (9K) / Chase Sapphire Preferred (8K) / DCU Platinum Rewards (7.5K) / Citi ThankYou Premier (6.2K) / Discover IT (4.4K) / CapOne Venture (5K) / JC Penney Mastercard (1.6K) / Citi Simplicity (3.8K) / AmEx Starwood Preferred (3K) / AmEx Blue Preferred (3K) / Citi Diamond Preferred (1.2K)

Store Cards
Firestone (1.2K) / Marathon Gas ($930) / Fingerhut ($750) / Best Buy ($550) / Citgo ($300) / Macy's ($200) /
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Stralem
Established Contributor

Re: Texaco / Chevron Closed Due to Inactivity

I've got a $1k CareCredit card I haven't used once since opening it last fall. Tried to use it when I went in for my annual eye exam, but they didn't accept it. Blah.

Guess I'll try to use it at my dentist's office next month. If it's still active by then.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 2 of 3
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Texaco / Chevron Closed Due to Inactivity

@spritezero1017 wrote:

Past two weeks has found me with great progress having gotten a new car loan and 5 new cards upping my avaialabe credit lines from $9380.00 to $46,500 on some real quality card products. I've been reviewing my older cards for possible closure as I pat fees on some I don't need with these newer, much better, cards. 

I have (had!) a Texaco / Chevrom card that I opened 2 years ago and have never used once. I thought it was great when I got it b/c I was only re-building credit and was grateful to have it. But I also have a Marathon and Citgo cards so just never used it and didn't really know that you have to now and again to keep activity. So I logged on yesterday to look over the account with the intent on using it a bit for activity sake but saw it had been closed. I chatted with a rep who said they can't just re-open it but I was welcome to re-apply online. Told her no thanks, don't really need it and that would not benefit me in any way. 

So just a heads up to newer guys like me - if you want and-or need your cards - even seemingly less "important" ones - use them here and there or they'll get closed. 

It happens and it's easily explained if you're ever asked about it on manual review (no balance, so I doubt it'd raise any issues).  FICO doesn't care if you closed it or it the lender did, so long as there wasn't a balance.  It'll report positively for 10 years, so I'd say it did its job.

Two years is the time needed for FICO to no longer consider an account "new," so that was good of GE to keep it open that long. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.