Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thankful for being a Credit Nerd

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thankful for being a Credit Nerd

So sometimes I doubt myself when it comes to constantly checking my scores and reports, generally daily, to make sure everything is in line. I've come a long way the past two years, removing 8 student loan accounts that were defaulted, removing a tax lien from Transunion, and only having to wait until June 2016 for the 4 closed revolving derog's to fall off.

Well, I logged in yesterday, and much to my dismay, a new collection account from Verizon????

Little did Verizon know, after handling the US Dept of Education, State of WV, and numerous other creditors - they had met their match.

I moved to St. Louis in February for a construction project, and closed my Verizon account in March since I wouldn't be home and didnt want to pay $200/mo. Well they demanded i bring the equipment back to Pittsburgh within 30 days, and they would go ahead and stop billing March 18th. Well mid-April, I drive back to Pittsburgh and turn in the equipment, only to find out they DIDNT cancel the account and had no idea what I was talking about. So after yelling and screaming, I finally got them to credit me back to mid-March.

I wanted to pay and close the account out then and there, but they said it'd be better to mail me a final bill to pay it off in one amount after the cancellation fees were posted. So I gave them my new St. Louis address and waited....and waited...and waited,, until finally last week I called them. "Sir your account has a balance of 500$, how would you like to pay" uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I wouldnt like to pay actually???

Yeah, so they once again had no idea what I was talking about when I said I closed my account. After yelling and screaming once again, I got my account credited down to $150, and paid it off. Phew, done right? NOPE! When I saw that yesterday, a new collection account after all that hard work I had done, all I could see was red - Verizon red.

I called them, and surprisingly it was pretty painless. They noticed the multiple calls and failed notes, the failed address change etc. Within 5 minutes on the phone, they submitted a delete letter to all 3 bureaus stating it was in error. I also received a copy of the deletion letter for my records, in case they are a little slow Smiley Happy

Take that Verizon!!! - You had no idea who you were up against!

Stay safe everyone,

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thankful for being a Credit Nerd

I'm glad you got it straightened out, but why would you not use your Verizon phone in St. Louis? I know when military go overseas that is a Verizon reason for termination without ETF. Just curious.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent job!

Message 3 of 13
taxi818
Super Contributor

That's great. Congrats. . Knowledge is king. But don't yell at csr. They have no control. They are just drones doing as they are told. Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Outstanding!

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@steelcity66 - Verizon FIOS - I am a 15 year loyal ATT wireless subscriber Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 13
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Very nice

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure you miss the very expensive Verizon Fios. While the quality was good, the line up was terrible and it was so expensive. 

Message 8 of 13
BUN
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So sometimes I doubt myself when it comes to constantly checking my scores and reports, generally daily, to make sure everything is in line. I've come a long way the past two years, removing 8 student loan accounts that were defaulted, removing a tax lien from Transunion, and only having to wait until June 2016 for the 4 closed revolving derog's to fall off.

Well, I logged in yesterday, and much to my dismay, a new collection account from Verizon????

Little did Verizon know, after handling the US Dept of Education, State of WV, and numerous other creditors - they had met their match.

I moved to St. Louis in February for a construction project, and closed my Verizon account in March since I wouldn't be home and didnt want to pay $200/mo. Well they demanded i bring the equipment back to Pittsburgh within 30 days, and they would go ahead and stop billing March 18th. Well mid-April, I drive back to Pittsburgh and turn in the equipment, only to find out they DIDNT cancel the account and had no idea what I was talking about. So after yelling and screaming, I finally got them to credit me back to mid-March.

I wanted to pay and close the account out then and there, but they said it'd be better to mail me a final bill to pay it off in one amount after the cancellation fees were posted. So I gave them my new St. Louis address and waited....and waited...and waited,, until finally last week I called them. "Sir your account has a balance of 500$, how would you like to pay" uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I wouldnt like to pay actually???

Yeah, so they once again had no idea what I was talking about when I said I closed my account. After yelling and screaming once again, I got my account credited down to $150, and paid it off. Phew, done right? NOPE! When I saw that yesterday, a new collection account after all that hard work I had done, all I could see was red - Verizon red.

I called them, and surprisingly it was pretty painless. They noticed the multiple calls and failed notes, the failed address change etc. Within 5 minutes on the phone, they submitted a delete letter to all 3 bureaus stating it was in error. I also received a copy of the deletion letter for my records, in case they are a little slow Smiley Happy

Stay safe everyone,

@Anonymous wrote:

Stay safe everyone,

I feel exactly the same way! Well said. After all of this fighting and hard work, and going up big unscrupulus companies, I feel like a warrior that no one can beat anymore. It pays to be a complete credit nerd. We're living proof!Smiley Happy I'm from St. Louis, BTW I lived in Creve Coeur! Verizon is the Devil.Robot Mad

Starting Score : 575 May, 2013
Current Scores: EQ 716 6 INQ TU 745 4 INQ EX 726 3 INQ Last INQ December 2015, In the GC until Jan 2017.
Message 9 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

That's great. Congrats. . Knowledge is king. But don't yell at csr. They have no control. They are just drones doing as they are told. Smiley Sad

I second this, please don't "yell and scream" at a CSR who is handed a script and told to follow it or be fired if they do not say the "right" things.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.