Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks Cap 1!

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Thanks Cap 1!

Had plenty of money on my CC and went to buy groceries last night and........................DECLINED!!!!!!!!!!!

I paid 450 in bills with the card earlier in the day, so they flagged my acct for possible fraud!! **bleep**?!?!?! If i lost my card or someone stole it dont you think id be on the phone with you cancelling it??? Now i gotta look like an idiot with 10 ppl in line behind me Smiley Mad

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
minimock
Frequent Contributor

Re: Thanks Cap 1!

I know that is something that leaves you in a pants down moment, and Ive been there done that and bought the tee shirt.

While it REALLY is a pain, you kinda start thinking, well if someone did swipe my card, it would be ok then LOL

A guess its a two edged sword.

I definitely understand your frustration..

Message 2 of 18
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Yep, that's the Zero Fraud Tolerance that kicked in.  Sometimes, people don't realize their card is missing until much later or whenever they reach for the card again.  Another thing they were looking at is if your number was stolen, but you still have the card (means, you would not have to call in because you're not aware of any charges) -- if you start with a small bill, then a couple days later add the next, then next... Ultimately, you can combine them all into one lump because Cap-1 now knows your transactions and pattern.

Sorry this happened, but I'm sure you had another card or cash to handle the situation, but we need to NOT worry about what the 10 people in line think of us -- they don't pay our bills, so who cares.

The only reason I'm saying that is because ccc's try to play on our emotions and fear by encouraging consumers to agree to approve "Overlimit Spending" which will incur sooooo many fees, that you can get yourself into a real financial jam.  Their literature says, "You don't want to be embarrassed by a decline while standing in line, do you?  Then check this box to allow the purchase to be approved (notice the asterisk???)

Message 3 of 18
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Hey, on the up side, this practice makes yourselve safer. What if someone picked up your card and attempted to rack up debt?

Message 4 of 18
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Hey, on the up side, this practice makes yourselve safer. What if someone picked up your card and attempted to rack up debt?

Hopefully your card provider has a good policy of reversing the charges.  I just got a call from Chase a couple of days ago and they said my card was used in Mexico to buy flights and hotels in China.  They charged $3,700 and all of it was reversed.

Message 5 of 18
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@JayRizzo wrote:

Sorry this happened, but I'm sure you had another card or cash to handle the situation, but we need to NOT worry about what the 10 people in line think of us -- they don't pay our bills, so who cares.

JayRizzo, I think I love you.

Well said!

Message 6 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@JayRizzo wrote:

JayRizzo, I think I love you.

Well said!

In all honesty i really dont care how they feel about me I was more upset with Cap 1 and didnt wanna blow my stack in front of all of them Smiley Very Happy Yea I had cash to handle it but that was planned on paying off my other CC. ugh.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 18
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

My card was declined at a grocery store on Thursday and locked the account.    I called the next day and they needed to verify a purchase of $750 to someone I had not bought from before.  They immediately unlocked it.   

Although a nusance, I think fraud protection is important.  

Another example of why 1 major CC is not enough.  

Message 8 of 18
joestay
Frequent Contributor

Must be embarrassing.  Glad it never happened to me before.  You should carry another card just in case.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap 1 was one of my first credit cards and Amex the last.  But I use Cap 1 to backup Amex in case Amex is declined.  It is important to always have an "Oh! Shoot! plan."

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.