cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks so much for the backdoor numbers this forum is the best!!!!!!!

tag
susanyaz

Thanks so much for the backdoor numbers this forum is the best!!!!!!!

I received a mail application for a mastercard from Carnival Cruises issued by Barclays. I applied online and got one of those dreaded we will notify you in 10 days.

I decided to call the backdoor number and the analyst was great. She did question me about an account that looks like it's reporting twice but she then asked me if $2500 would be enough. I said I'd like more but please give me the best she could. Well she gave me $5000 !!!!!!  Another good thing is I can balance transfer for 9 months 0 interest (although there is 3% or maximum $50 per transfer) This will help me pay down a card (Capital One that just raised my interest rate)

Alliant wouldn't give me a card 2 weeks ago without sending payroll info and I deposited a nice chunk of cash in a savings with them

My scores are anywhere from  640 to 670 last I checked a month ago.

I am trying hard to getover 700 and this will help a lot since my limit will go up and my percentage of usage of available credit will go down.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Re: Thanks so much for the backdoor numbers this forum is the best!!!!!!!

Congrats on a great result!  Smiley Happy

Sounds like you've made some great steps toward that 700+ already - keep it going!

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats and thats a nice starting cl of $5000.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow !!!!!  Reading your submission just gave me all the reason to keep reading and to stay focused. Now, for the god stuff what are the backdoor numbers??? I totally agree this forum is the best!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again
Message 4 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

The backdoor numbers are ways of getting around the first-level CSR's (customer service representatives) who typically don't have a lot of power.

There is a thread of backdoor numbers stickied up at the very top of the Credit Cards board. "Stickied" means that the thread stays up at the very top, even as new posts are added.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 14
wndrwmn78
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations, and nice work! I have an iTunes Visa from Juniper and my credit limit is only $500 (gosh I hate that number). I did ask a CSR for an increase once and was denied...maybe I will actually try the backdoor number. My scores are slightly higher, so maybe I have a chance.

Starting Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Current Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Goal Score: 750 both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 14
wndrwmn78
Frequent Contributor

@susanyaz wrote:

I received a mail application for a mastercard from Carnival Cruises issued by Barclays. I applied online and got one of those dreaded we will notify you in 10 days.

I decided to call the backdoor number and the analyst was great. She did question me about an account that looks like it's reporting twice but she then asked me if $2500 would be enough. I said I'd like more but please give me the best she could. Well she gave me $5000 !!!!!!  Another good thing is I can balance transfer for 9 months 0 interest (although there is 3% or maximum $50 per transfer) This will help me pay down a card (Capital One that just raised my interest rate)

Alliant wouldn't give me a card 2 weeks ago without sending payroll info and I deposited a nice chunk of cash in a savings with them

My scores are anywhere from  640 to 670 last I checked a month ago.

I am trying hard to getover 700 and this will help a lot since my limit will go up and my percentage of usage of available credit will go down.

Also, what is your report like? How is your utility, etc.? I'm curious how I may match up... Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Current Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Goal Score: 750 both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello haulingthescoreup,

Plz help me if you can, I seem to be in such a dilemma. My TU is 597 and eq is 565, I have a Care Credit card 1800cl with 600 available credit and Kay Jew 5500cl 2000 available. I am making 3 pymts a month to total 450(good or bad idea?) on the Care Credit, 250 a month on the Kay's with intention to roll over the 450 When I applied for Capital ! and Chase this is what I got,

~too many delinq past or present

~revolving account too high

~presence of coll or judge

as for the delinq's they are very old as in over 3 to 5 yrs. Revol.I'm trying to pay down and I have a medical judgment's working to pay these down, perhaps I need to do so before going 4ward. This is where I am but I want to haul it up with you. I did call and it was to no avail, Thanks for any advice you can give.

Message 8 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Mslady2u wrote:

Hello haulingthescoreup,

Plz help me if you can, I seem to be in such a dilemma. My TU is 597 and eq is 565, I have a Care Credit card 1800cl with 600 available credit and Kay Jew 5500cl 2000 available. I am making 3 pymts a month to total 450(good or bad idea?) on the Care Credit, 250 a month on the Kay's with intention to roll over the 450 When I applied for Capital ! and Chase this is what I got,

~too many delinq past or present

~revolving account too high

~presence of coll or judge

as for the delinq's they are very old as in over 3 to 5 yrs. Revol.I'm trying to pay down and I have a medical judgment's working to pay these down, perhaps I need to do so before going 4ward. This is where I am but I want to haul it up with you. I did call and it was to no avail, Thanks for any advice you can give.

OK, let's see.

You have:

Care Credit - bal: $1,200 - CL: $1,800 - 67% util; paying down at $450/ month
Kay Jewelers - bal: $3,500 - CL: $5,500 - 64% util; paying down at $250/ month and will add Care Credit payments when it's zeroed out

(btw, it's a good idea to get in the habit of thinking of how much you owe, as opposed to how much is still available Smiley Wink )

This looks like an aggressive and well-thought-out plan that should work for you, so keep it up.

Don't apply for anything else until all this debt is gone. Do allow one account to report $10 or so, and then pay it off immediately. The scoring formula likes to see activity.

Be sure to try to do a PFD on the medical collection. Better still, see if you can pay the original provider (doctor, hospital) and have them pull back the collection. Ideally, you won't have a collection on your records. Unfortunately, a paid collection doesn't help you in scoring. It's the presence of the collection, not the balance, that hurts. Future lenders would prefer to see a paid collection rather than unpaid, I'm sure.

Right now, your efforts should be focused on cleaning up your credit (util reduction, the med collection) rather than growing your credit. That time will come, and when you do go out credit hunting again, you will be a much more attractive customer, and you'll get better deals. It's like going on a date --you want to get your best look going, not the torn sweats and grubby hair. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Haulingitup,

Thanks for the setting me in the right direction. My actual payment on the Care Credit is 600 monthly in 3 pymts, do you think this is a good or bad idea??? As well, should I run another up to date report and go from there or just continue where I am and keep it pushing??? Your time is valuable as well as your advice, thanks for spending the time and so effortlessly sharing it with me.Determined to make it happen.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.