cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks to myFico too many cards

tag
kaye1003

Thanks to myFico too many cards

First I think this site is wonderful. I filed bankruptcy in 2010 and I didn't understand why I couldn't get any credit cards until I found this site in January of 2014 and now I have about 16. i went from 2,000 in credit to $45000 over the course of 6 months now I need to close a few and need some suggestions because I'm losing track of payments. Util  12%

Jan 14 Credit Score 608equifax 620 Trans : Capital One 1,200, First Premeir 425.00 first  premeir 450 capital one $350

July 14 Credit Score Trans 690 Equifax:650'inquires 22

capital One one  3,000

capital one  2750

NFCU $14,000 started with $2000 increased to $14000 in 45 days

nfcu joint $6000

NFCU check 11,500

Capital One old orchard bank $500

capital One 1,000 spark business 

barclay $2000

hh Gregg $1200

finger hut  2,000

speedway 400

first premeir 450

first premeir 425

Express 250

j crew 250

limited 350

victoria Secret 250

walmart 500

macys $600

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Re: Thanks to myFico too many cards

Try to stay in the range of maybe 5 cards. Try to see if First premier and capital one will allow you to merge the two CL on both cards. I use apps like Check, Mobilligy to help keep track of my 5 CCs. There are other bill tracking apps that can help minimize time spent looking for due dates for all your cards. Hope this helps you in any way.
Message 2 of 15
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

Easy choice for me - If i was you, All cards under $1000CL would be gone (easier than listing them all lol)

Message 3 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Jaylima91 wrote:
Try to stay in the range of maybe 5 cards. Try to see if First premier and capital one will allow you to merge the two CL on both cards. I use apps like Check, Mobilligy to help keep track of my 5 CCs. There are other bill tracking apps that can help minimize time spent looking for due dates for all your cards. Hope this helps you in any way.

With the decent limits you know have, I would close First Premier as I assume they have large fees.  Not worth it for the small CL they have.

Message 4 of 15
UTK_GOBO
Valued Member

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

Easy choice for me - If i was you, All cards under $1000CL would be gone (easier than listing them all lol)

I don't ever keep low limit cards open, and especially if its a store card ... unless I use them often. Those cards are useless, and it might get closed for "non-usage", and you get hit with "closed by credit grantor" on your CR. Some banks are sensitive to having too many accounts. 

I have way too many cards ...
Message 5 of 15
kaye1003

Ok only reason FIrst P are still open because they are my oldest cards afraid my score will decrease. Should I worry? I am aware that I need to garden lots of cards opened in 6 months

i use express jcrew and limited often but never VS I have also never used HH Gregg 

Message 6 of 15
kaye1003

Are you saying I should close all 10 at once?

Message 7 of 15
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@UTK_GOBO wrote:

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

I don't ever keep low limit cards open, and especially if its a store card ... unless I use them often. Those cards are useless, and it might get closed for "non-usage", and you get hit with "closed by credit grantor" on your CR. Some banks are sensitive to having too many accounts. 

Just to clarify - It is not negative to have "closed by credit grantor" as long as you had paid on time and there is no outstanding balance at closure. They closed two of my card for non-uasage and both had a couple of years of history of payments. Score was not impacted by that at all. 

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 8 of 15
UTK_GOBO
Valued Member

@s_haliz wrote:

@UTK_GOBO wrote:

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

Just to clarify - It is not negative to have "closed by credit grantor" as long as you had paid on time and there is no outstanding balance at closure. They closed two of my card for non-uasage and both had a couple of years of history of payments. Score was not impacted by that at all. 

True. It may reflect negatively on you for having "closed by credit grantor" on your CR depending on which creditor you are dealing with. 

I have way too many cards ...
Message 9 of 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@kaye1003 wrote:

First I think this site is wonderful. I filed bankruptcy in 2010 and I didn't understand why I couldn't get any credit cards until I found this site in January of 2014 and now I have about 16. i went from 2,000 in credit to $45000 over the course of 6 months now I need to close a few and need some suggestions because I'm losing track of payments. Util  12%

Jan 14 Credit Score 608equifax 620 Trans : Capital One 1,200, First Premeir 425.00 first  premeir 450 capital one $350

July 14 Credit Score Trans 690 Equifax:650'inquires 22

capital One one  3,000

capital one  2750

NFCU $14,000 started with $2000 increased to $14000 in 45 days

nfcu joint $6000

NFCU check 11,500

Capital One old orchard bank $500

capital One 1,000 spark business 

barclay $2000

hh Gregg $1200

finger hut  2,000

speedway 400

first premeir 450

first premeir 425

Express 250

j crew 250

limited 350

victoria Secret 250

walmart 500

macys $600

The ones in red, jettison, the ones in blue evaluate on basis of if you use or not. I manage many more than you have here as do other members of this board, I use electronic bookkeeping with all payment reminders set, I dont use all of them at once either, only 4 on a regular basis.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.