Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thankyou points

tag
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: Thankyou points

after the sign up bonus and hard usage for a month, i had enough TY points for $50 statement credit . I got around the same amount of UR points on my freedom and that was enough for $128 stament credit.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 11 of 24
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

@LilNYC wrote:

I have both the Citi Forward & Citi Thank You cards & I'm able to redeem my TY points for gift cards at 1:1 value as long as the gift card is at least $25. There are a lot of merchant gift cards to choose from. I just reedemed my signup points for $250 in Bloomingdales gift cards. My only complaint is that Citi didn't mail out the gift cards till 4 days after I reedemed my points.  Statement rebate & visa cash cards are at 50% value though. 

+1 The gift cards are pretty much all 1:1 (aka 1% back) but the statement rebate is 2:1 (aka 0.5% back). If you have a Forward and are OK with gift cards back (they actually have Amazon which I haven't seen in any other programs), it's a decent program.

Message 12 of 24
Cory
Established Contributor

@charleeislegend wrote:

@Cory wrote:

+3, very terrible point system. I got so tired of the TY system, until I recently just closed my Citi-Forward Card. I loved Citi's Customer Service in general, but Citi-Forward was not working for me personally. Great bank to deal with though. Citi's Customer Service is excellent!

Any reason why citiforward wasn't working for u? I thinking of applying for forward, just like to get both sides of the pie.

Hello Charlie~

Yeah, because the points system value is not all around equal (e.g. 1:1 Gift C, $). I have other cards such as, Chase Freedom & BofA Cash Rewards that I can get the actual cash value when redeeming. Chase is #1 for gift cards, cash and or travel at 1:1. I think for me personally, I had to many cards going on all, spending accrueing points. I'm one who cannot chew gum and walk all at the same time. To man cards, to many distraction. I'm actually downsizing my credit portfolio this year.

Message 13 of 24
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

@scientifics wrote:

@LilNYC wrote:

I have both the Citi Forward & Citi Thank You cards & I'm able to redeem my TY points for gift cards at 1:1 value as long as the gift card is at least $25. There are a lot of merchant gift cards to choose from. I just reedemed my signup points for $250 in Bloomingdales gift cards. My only complaint is that Citi didn't mail out the gift cards till 4 days after I reedemed my points.  Statement rebate & visa cash cards are at 50% value though. 

+1 The gift cards are pretty much all 1:1 (aka 1% back) but the statement rebate is 2:1 (aka 0.5% back). If you have a Forward and are OK with gift cards back (they actually have Amazon which I haven't seen in any other programs), it's a decent program.

That's interesting. I'm not seeing 1:1 until I get up to $100 gift cards. In the past it was 1:1 but mine changed recently. 3.5k points for $25 gift card, 6k points for $50, and $10k points for $100.

Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 14 of 24
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:
I've found that they're generally equal to 0.8% to 0.9% cash back when redeemed for gift cards. They become more valuable when you redeem for higher rewards, so a $100 gift card will give you more bang for the point than a $25 gift card. I agree that they are the worst bank point currency, but I don't mind since I'm getting 5x points at restaurants and Amazon with my Forward. Smiley Wink

I wasn't aware that Amazon purchases counted for 5x.  Is that for all purchases?  Because they consider it a bookstore?

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 24
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:
I've found that they're generally equal to 0.8% to 0.9% cash back when redeemed for gift cards. They become more valuable when you redeem for higher rewards, so a $100 gift card will give you more bang for the point than a $25 gift card. I agree that they are the worst bank point currency, but I don't mind since I'm getting 5x points at restaurants and Amazon with my Forward. Smiley Wink

I wasn't aware that Amazon purchases counted for 5x.  Is that for all purchases?  Because they consider it a bookstore?

Yep! All purchases on Amazon. That's why I love this card. I'm always buying stuff on Amazon.

Message 16 of 24
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

Yep! All purchases on Amazon. That's why I love this card. I'm always buying stuff on Amazon.

Thank you!  I'm an idiot.  Had the forward for a long time and I don't use it on Amazon.  Time to go change my settings.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 24
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

Yep! But I use my BCP to get 6% back on Amazon gift cards at my grocery store.

Message 18 of 24
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

@scientifics wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

What's your sales tax though? I'd be paying 7% here, so I I had the BCP I'd actually be paying an additional 1%.

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

@scientifics wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

What's your sales tax though? I'd be paying 7% here, so I I had the BCP I'd actually be paying an additional 1%.

Sales tax is 7% here too but I have never been charge sales tax on a gift card purchase. (I think this is because you normally pay sales tax when you use the gift card obviously that doesn't apply to amazon) just thought I'd throw that out there.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.