Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

That Capital One!

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

That Capital One!

By and large I am a Cap One supporter here, with two high-limit cards and not many issues.  Last month for the first time I failed to get a 10% bonus on one of my Perk Central purchases, I called to ask and it was handled very well, with the money posting in two days and they called me to let me know. 

This month, I  noticed that this had happened to four of my purchases (I guess as Perk Central goes away, quality control is declining.)

What made the call really good was when the rep, after verification, started out with "Congratulations, I see you have $1.21 in rewards".  Yep, what couldn't I do with such riches!   Then she said I need to wait the two billing cycles before they can open a case as that is how long it has to post.  I of course said that last month they ...., and that didn't change her position an inch.   I guess I could have called back and tried a different rep, but too much effort.  I will try to remember to call back in 8 weeks and see if they can give me my $12 (and if $1.21 is worth a congratulations....)

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: That Capital One!

Congratulations on earning $1.21

Its a good thing you have multiple high limit cards with them, since apparently it takes a lot of spending to earn that level of rewards. I wouldn't know, since I usually use 5% cash back cards myself.

Kudos to you, sir! Well, not literally of course, since you probably can't buy a box of Kudos with only $1.21 Smiley Wink

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Well, $1.21 was the balance after a number of automatic $25 redemptions, so the card really does give useful rewards, just found the congratualations a little strange!

Message 3 of 8
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Oh, so you charge a recurring $25 or so transaction each month, and set the card to automatically pay in full? I was thinking of getting a BOA Better Balance Rewards card and doing something like that.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 4 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

He means his rewards are redeemed automatically once they reach $25....

Anyways back to topic:

Chase and discover do the same thing too..... Seems to be common practice. Does get irritating when a UR mall / shop discover purchase doesn't post even after a month, and by the 2nd month I usually forget don't even bother to call anymore because I have made so many more purchases since then it's just usually not worth the hassle to be arguing with a CSR.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 8
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Yeah, I understand this dillemma but I won't give up in 8 weeks myself. 

My issue is that I was supposed to get a $100 credit when I opened the new card and we are at the 5th billing cycle and no reward.  When I chat online with them they tell me that my account was changed and instead of getting the 50% annual bonus I will get 1.5%.  This does not answer my question!  I think they are trained to sidetrack you if they cant properly answer the question, which is 90% of the time.  Then they say they will investigate it further and 10 minutes later repeat the same thing......  

It is nicer having a high limit card with them.  Generally the customer service is much better, except online chat.  Online chat is like having teeth pulled without novacaine.  I really should just imagine Cival War surgery before I enter online chat with them.  I think that might be the best way to simply just remind me I should call and even if it is a question about my lower tier card, simply put my upper tier card in first and get to the better CSRs.  Whe I get my limits on the lower tier cards up I will simply ask them to change the cards over to the upper tier so that I don't have the agony anymore.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 6 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Oh, so you charge a recurring $25 or so transaction each month, and set the card to automatically pay in full? I was thinking of getting a BOA Better Balance Rewards card and doing something like that.

As enharu says, I mean that as soon as the reward balance is $25, it automatically redeems to the account.  Sadly, Perk Central is going away, it has been giving me between 10 and 11.5% on the vendors I use it for.  So even though my spend hasn't been all that high, I got $550 back from Cap One this year.

Message 7 of 8
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

i got the same congrats on my .81 cents! i plan on saving my rewards for something fancy like paying my af with them

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.