cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 2009 Tough Love-Cool Your Jets Center Is Launched!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The 2009 Tough Love-Cool Your Jets Center Is Launched!

TypogrammerYou belong here, LOL. Just funnin' ya, we all have weak moments. What's done is done and it will heal in time.
Message 81 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

I relapsed.

Oops. Smiley Sad

I was reading about Alliant's 3% savings rate, which is better than INGs now. I checked it out. I decided to move two accounts over to Alliant. I swear on the FICO bible that it didn't even occur to me that they'd offer any interesting products, because of the new accounts from Fall 2008, and the fact that I wasn't applying for a checking account (already got two, don't need any more to manage). I thought that I was safe from temptation. My only concern (mild) was that I'd be taking another INQ to EQ, but I figured it'd be worth it, because it IS a much better rate.

So I joined, and low and behold... They had an "Offers For You" page. Amongst other things, there was an 8k VISA rewards card. You see where this is going, don't you? That thumping sound you hear is my head against the keyboard. Smiley Indifferent

I tried so hard to just ignore the "accept" button. But they were offering, and I'd already taken an EQ hit, so I started thinking that I might as well get my FICO hits worth. And, then I thought about how stupid that was, because I'd take a hit for a new INQ, but I didn't have to take a hit for a new account. Or give the recently temperamental BoA reason to take AA against me. I'm an idiot. Because those perfectly good reasons NOT to accept were quickly shot down by my irrational rationalizations that I should diversity even more, in case BoA takes AA against me. Like that makes even an ounce of sense.

I was trying to stay the course to go for DISCOVER in a year or two. A year or two from when those app spree accounts were opened. Now, I've set myself back by at least 6 months. The only good news is that I probably won't take a big score hit, because my AA is already decimated from the fall. I doubt it could possibly get much lower.

Someone chain me to the high wall in the credit garden, please. See what happens when you blink? Clearly, I can't be trusted. Back to the beginning.

Message 82 of 91
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

LOL, welcome to the human race...

That's pretty cruel of them to just dangle stuff at you like that! Smiley Surprised My AAoA just got out of diapers from last springs app frenzy. I did pick up a Blue last month, but if it ever gets around to reporting, it should show 2008, the year I opened the Gold. Otherwise, I'm still hanging in there.

Wow, I was beginning to think about giving up an EQ inq for those savings accounts! Thanks for the heads-up.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 83 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The 2009 Tough-Love Cool Your Jets Center Is Launched!

added to haulings advice.....have a mentor that you share your goals and plan with and they will help hold you accountable Smiley Happy
Message 84 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohhhh, LilMirth, OUCH! Time to dust yourself off and reset the counter, I guess - but still, at least you came out of the whole experience with something decent to show for it (two somethings decent to show for it), AND with a great CU, AND you deserve it, after the AA-ing from BofA!

This place makes for a bad Apping Rehab center... as I have to say your post has made me think "oooh, 3%, really???", with (I will admit!) a smidgen of "AND preapprovals, too? Rrrreeaaaalllllyyyy????", which will now be a nagging little voice in my head that Must Be Resisted!

Good to know about the savings rate, though - I have been looking around (and not found anything that isn't utterly laughable) for something better than the pitiful rate my Discover Money Market savings account offers these days. Sigh.... how I miss that six-point-something rate they were paying when I opened the account! 

I'm now going to have trouble resisting the urge to look at Alliant's website. I'll manage to resist by telling myself that yeah, I just want a decent rate for our savings, BUT, now that I know preapprovals for CCs are not unheard-of from them, I'll be all upset if I open an account and don't get a preapproval! Yup, I am totally illogical. 

Message 85 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey fevmlo!

You're right, at least there is a bright side to my lack of self-control. I closed a Juni $500 dead end card, and ended up with a new 8k card. The Juni card was just 6 months old, so I guess I can call it a net gain. Plus, the savings rate is absolutely yummy (compared to everywhere else, anyway). ING has been dropping like a rock, so I'd been dragging my feet on finding something better just because I like ING. I just couldn't pass up a better rate, though.

But, just to clarify, I haven't had any AA from BoA (yet & knock-on-wood). I'm just paranoid that another new account is going to inspire them to punish me a little. I guess we shall see now.

Message 86 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Hauling, I want in!! 

I was doing fine. My last app had been for a BoA Amex back in Aug '08. That felt good to get since BoA had declined me earlier in '08. I was keeping my head low, trying to stay off the radar of AA.

The Amex Green had been calling me, offering me another almost 20 year TL. I resisted, did not want Amex to swoop down on me. Unfortunately last week my resistance weakened and I apped the Green. Then I made the mistake of visiting Alliant's site. Yep. Savings and a $10k VISA.

Hopefully the new, aged Amex Green TL will offset the Alliant VISA.  Hopefully no AA flags will be raised at Amex or BoA. I am finally dumping Cap1.

I don't need more credit, don't want more credit (well, maybe a motorcycle loan), and absolutely do not want or need any more CREDIT CARDS.

Anyway, I'm in here now so you may do as you wish with me. 

Message 87 of 91
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

lol, you can buy the house a round on some of that new plastic.

Then sock-drawer it! Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 88 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to pat myself on the back. No new apps and no new dings (except the mortgage- I had permission for that) in three months. Yay me.
Message 89 of 91
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

Let me in, lock the door and throw away the key . . . PLEASE!

I was doing great.  No apps since Nov. 08 and then the thread opened about Alliant and I heard that awful sound "HELLO KITTY, I JUST GOTTA HAVE YOU".  I should have covered my head with the pillows.

Well, I was denied because I live in an extended stay hotel.  Even though I've been here for nearly six years.  That was really disappointing since I have Chase, Discover, Amex and a few others.  The nice lady at Alliant told me that they must have a brick and morter address to comply with Homeland Security Due Dilligence requirements.

Anyway, enough whining . . . . I am making a committment to forego any apping for one year from my last app. (which was in March).  From now on, I'll join the garden club or anything to avoid apping.

Please help . . . . My name is Jon and I am a credit-card-aholic.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 90 of 91
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.