Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 2017 Cardpurgeocalypse continues!

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

The 2017 Cardpurgeocalypse continues!

I apologize in advance for the wall of text, but I wanted to update everyone on the progress of my profile cleanup. 2017 is going to be the year of growing existing limits, since I am now in with all the banks I wanted to be. 

First I called up Cabela's and closed out my $1,000 Visa with them that refused to grow. The person who answered didn't even ask me why, or offer up reasons for me to keep it. The card itself went into the shreddder a couple of days ago, when I got my CLI denial letter. I have no patience for a card that refuses to budge after 15 months of steady usage. Chances are the Cabela's Visa won't be around much longer anyways. Without Capital One buying the portfolio, BoA probably has dibs now, and they'll probably be converted in to Bass Pro Shops MasterCards. I've got a good limit with BoA, so I don't need another card at this time. 

Next up was my Barclaycard Apple Rewards VISA, which was a little harder for me to do, but it needed to happen. I obtained this card in April of 2015, and used it regulary for the rewards and 0% financing offers. After being CLD'd twice for paying balances down too fast, I couldn't see any logical reason for keeping it in my wallet. The second CLD was the end of the line for me, since I didn't even have a balance on the card, and they CLD'd me based on paying down other cards too quickly - total BS! The representative had the gall to tell me that CLD's on accounts aren't common with Barclays, and I had to hold my tongue. I told him that in my experience, Barclays does not like heavy utilization of limits, balance transfers, or carrying a 0% deferred balances for any amount of time, so I couldn't see the card being useful for me.

Anyways, I let them both go, but there will be no impact to my scores or utilization. I even obtained a SP CLI on my Quicksilver this weekend, bringing it up to $7,350 (What's up with the weird limits, Capital One?).  So despite closing down two cards, I'm up $1,550 in total available limits, with cards that can grow with SP's! 

Next up on the chopping block is another round of store cards: Express, Chevron, Barney's New York. Later this year are Lowes and Amazon store card. I think I'm also going to PC my Freedom to the Freedom Unlimited, because now I only have one Visa, and want to maximize its reward potential. I also briefly considered closing it, but then I would have to use my debit card at Costco, and I refuse to use my debit card anywhere. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The 2017 Cardpurgeocalypse continues!

Keep Lowe's. They have good financing promos that comes around every few months. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Keep Lowe's. They have good financing promos that comes around every few months. Smiley Happy

I've been debating on whether or not to keep it. To be honest, I've only used the 0% financing once, to buy my mom's fridge, and even then I had cash to pay for it. Everything else I've bought there, I can get cheaper elsewhere, so I'm not impressed by the 5% off either. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

RIP Cabela's; Good Riddance Barclay's. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still debating on what to close, myself.

I will definitely need to close one of my AX revolvers to make room for a Biz SPG.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pay cash for single items myself but I will be taking advantage of it with my upcoming big landscaping project this spring.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can have a max of 5 personal and business revolvers with AMEX combined. Charge cards does not count to the limit.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 keep Lowes.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.