Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The AMEX Happy Dance Continues

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The AMEX Happy Dance Continues

@FocusedAndDetermined wrote:

After my 12/30 spur of the moment drapping for  AMEX ED and the surprise approval, I pulled the card agreement to learn that they didn't give me the highest APR of 21.99%, but only 13.99%Smiley Surprised I believe this is the next to lowest.Smiley Happy  It doesn't really matter since I intend to PIF.

I guess they are convinced that I am a different person and will continue my responsible ways.

Wanted to see if the holiday would delay shipment/arrival of the card, so I chatted with a rep who informed me that the card was shipped via UPS today. Yay!  I will be so happy when it arrives!

At some point I would like to add other AMEX accounts (no more than 2) for backdating and bonus purposes.  QUESTION TO THE AMEX EXPERTS:  How long should I wait to put in another app?

Nice Job, congrats on your Amex approval

Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

After my 12/30 spur of the moment drapping for  AMEX ED and the surprise approval, I pulled the card agreement to learn that they didn't give me the highest APR of 21.99%, but only 13.99%Smiley Surprised I believe this is the next to lowest.Smiley Happy  It doesn't really matter since I intend to PIF.

I guess they are convinced that I am a different person and will continue my responsible ways.

Wanted to see if the holiday would delay shipment/arrival of the card, so I chatted with a rep who informed me that the card was shipped via UPS today. Yay!  I will be so happy when it arrives!

At some point I would like to add other AMEX accounts (no more than 2) for backdating and bonus purposes.  QUESTION TO THE AMEX EXPERTS:  How long should I wait to put in another app?

Not bad. Congratulations again.

I got some awesome news from AMEX again. After yesterday's Auto-CLI from $12,000 to $14,200, I decided to use up my 3X on it instead of the ED (I really don't use it enough..), and got an increase to $24,000.

Thats a very nice limit Nixon, congrats

Message 22 of 29
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

Congrats!    Getting more Amex cards immediately negates the advantage of backdating.

How so, if they're all backdated to 1990?

Sorry, never saw a reference to 1990.  Thought by all your excitement, that you had just lost your amex virginity.

And even if the card is the first Amex, getting others now doesn't really negate backdating.     THere won't be a sudden AAoA jump as when you get a new backdated, card, but the AAoA will be exactly the same, just two old cards you have had all the time, rather than one old and one new-that-appears-to-be-old

That was my point. If he wasn't already a Amex customer, another new card could just as well be BofA or Chase or Citi. The backdating benefit of another Amex card would be negated by time reference ... sans a few days/weeks/months.

Message 23 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Turbobuick wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

Congrats!    Getting more Amex cards immediately negates the advantage of backdating.

Sorry, never saw a reference to 1990.  Thought by all your excitement, that you had just lost your amex virginity.

And even if the card is the first Amex, getting others now doesn't really negate backdating.     THere won't be a sudden AAoA jump as when you get a new backdated, card, but the AAoA will be exactly the same, just two old cards you have had all the time, rather than one old and one new-that-appears-to-be-old

That was my point. If he wasn't already a Amex customer, another new card could just as well be BofA or Chase or Citi. The backdating benefit of another Amex card would be negated by time reference ... sans a few days/weeks/months.

Right, but if the plan is say "I want two Amex cards" getting them both now or getting one now and one ten years from now yields the same result.   I guess I was (over)-reacting to "negate" 

Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

Right, but if the plan is say "I want two Amex cards" getting them both now or getting one now and one ten years from now yields the same result.   I guess I was (over)-reacting to "negate" 

When I went for two new AMEX cards in August of last year (I had to start saying last year sometime...), I went into it knowing fully i'd get a 6+yr backdate.

Message 25 of 29
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

Technically you are correct, but if the goal is to boost AAoA now, waiting 10 yrs won't help.  It also cushions the blow of any paid off or closed accounts that drop off as time goes by.

Message 26 of 29
jasonkm1
Regular Contributor

Does anyone know if this backdating trick will work if I had the green amex in the 90's, and want to get the Costco Amex? or does the Costco Amex version also backdate?

thanks!

Message 27 of 29
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@jasonkm1 wrote:

Does anyone know if this backdating trick will work if I had the green amex in the 90's, and want to get the Costco Amex? or does the Costco Amex version also backdate?

thanks!

I don't have personal experience but from what I've read, I believe it does backdate. Others will confirm or refute.

Message 28 of 29
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@jasonkm1 wrote:

thanks!

Yes, the Costco Amex definitely backdates. It's a Centurian Bank (regular Amex) product even with its co-brand and so is subject to all the good Amex qualities.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.