cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The AMEX Platinum temptation is great ....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The AMEX Platinum temptation is great ....

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a question on this one!  Did you have to close the other one or you just did that becasue they both have fee's and you just wanted the Platuinum.  I ask because I don't plan on closeing my AmEx Costco card I don't think unless there is really a convincing reason I should??

The side button on the Amex site was for an upgrade offer on my Gold and I couldn't resist lol.  So in this case my Gold was simply converted to a Platinum.

Message 51 of 69
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

is a gate upgrade to First Class something that would count toward the $200 airline fee coverage?

edit:  I got an answer from Plat ...... not covered

Technically, no.

But, as another poster had noted, there are tons of airline expense not elegible ending up reimbursed because of how the airline codes the charge.  Gift cards aren't allowed in the T&C, but the way it's coded it's reimbursed anyway.

The rule of thumb here is if the upgrade is under $100, then it'll probably be reimbursed.  If over, I'd bet against it.

Message 52 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

You mean that lil button that says upgrade your card?  O' man that button is so tempting! 

Message 53 of 69
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a question on this one!  Did you have to close the other one or you just did that becasue they both have fee's and you just wanted the Platuinum.  I ask because I don't plan on closeing my AmEx Costco card I don't think unless there is really a convincing reason I should??

I closed the Gold because Amex won't let you upgrade for the first 13 months, due to the Card Act (pertains to increased annual fee, I believe).  Since the Gold was under a year old, and I wanted the Platinum now, I just app'd for the Platinum, then closed the Gold after I got the card (they sent it express delivery as a courtesy...2 days...didn't even ask).  Didn't need them both.  No need to close anything if you don't wish.

Military household here, too.  My better half is at 19 years service and a Navy Commander, O-5.

Edit to add:  The "upgrade to Platinum" button had been on my account since the 3rd month with Gold, but wouldn't work due to the above mentioned restriction.  I tried several times...it just error'd out at  the end. 

Message 54 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well thank you for your sacrific, I know how its not fun to have to move a half a dozen times! Come on Platinum!!!
Message 55 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just went to the AmEx site to go for the Costco CLI and got the pop up for down for maintenance so I just went for the Platinum since that seemed to be working just fine. Woooooohooooooo Approved!!!!!!
Message 56 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

haha, cool.

any specific incentive?

Message 57 of 69
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

What happens with AU's  on your gold card if you upgrade to platinum? That $175 fee for an au is steep. Will they let them along for the ride with a green or gold for free?

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 58 of 69
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@crunching_numbers wrote:

What happens with AU's  on your gold card if you upgrade to platinum? That $175 fee for an au is steep. Will they let them along for the ride with a green or gold for free?

I think you can get Gold AUs for free or for a reduced fee.  Can't remember details.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 59 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

No not really, but do you really need one it's PLATINUM!!

Smiley Happy

Message 60 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.