cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The AMEX Platinum temptation is great ....

tag
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Re: The AMEX Platinum temptation is great ....

I got the green card in early february. If I want to consider applying for the platinum card I should not upgrade my current account, but rather just apply for the platinum to get the signup bonuses? I am not planning on doing this anytime soon, but good to know for future reference. Once you have a green card in good standing for about 6+ months I wouldn't imagine there would be any problem getting approved for platinum right?

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 11 of 69
Open123
Super Contributor

@saaws wrote:

@Open123 wrote:
Yes, with Amex, it is almost never beneficial to upgrade, unless you really need to save the inquiry.
New offers will always offer a better sign up bonus and terms; and, with backdating, history is only improved if one applies in January.  Yes, I forgot about the global entry, which is a nice touch.  If you check, sometimes they have global entry interviewers at the Amex travel offices and would conduct the interview for you free of charge.
Didn't know about the double dip.  Thanks for the head's up!  I fly UA too and will look into it.  UA reimburses for global entry?

UA started reimbursing for Global Entry this year.. it is only for Platinum (75K miles a year) and 1K members.  So my first Amex was opened 2011/09.  Does that mean my Amex Platinum will report its opening date as 2011/04 and actually gain another 5 months, not 2011/09?

Yes, it'll report as 04/2011.  If you app'ed in January, it would report 01/2011.  You gain a few months of age!

Message 12 of 69
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

I got the green card in early february. If I want to consider applying for the platinum card I should not upgrade my current account, but rather just apply for the platinum to get the signup bonuses? I am not planning on doing this anytime soon, but good to know for future reference. Once you have a green card in good standing for about 6+ months I wouldn't imagine there would be any problem getting approved for platinum right?

bump

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 13 of 69
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations!!! Sounds like you got a great deal. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 14 of 69
Open123
Super Contributor

@espnjunkie wrote:

bump

Unless you receive a targetted offer to upgrade to the Platinum for 50k MR for first charge, then it makes much more sense to apply for a new card for the bonuses.

Also, with the current bonus, it makes the most sense to app during mid year, mainly to allow you to maximize the $200 airline credit per calendar year.  This way, if you cancel or downgrade the Platinum next year, you would have been alloted $400 in airline credits, which makes up for the $450 annual fee.  If you choose AA or SW, I've seen where they even reimburse for gift card purchases (which you can use in later flights) if under $100.  AA will allow you to use up to 8 gift cards to redeem for a flight. 

For the 50k bonus, it is by referrals.  I recommend that you find someone (a friend in RL preferably) you know to send you the link, since they get a 5k MR referral if you apply and be approved.  Currently, it's a tragetted offer only from a referral source. If you don't have anyone in RL you'd like to beneift for the referral, then you can search the net for plenty of links.  Just know that you'll be benefitting a stranger with 5k - 10k MR points, which is fine in of itself, but in my opinon, you should beneift a friend you know in RL, and not some random strangers on the net.

Message 15 of 69
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Thanks for the info Open. I am happy with the green card for now, but do you think with 6 months of history on the green I would be a pretty safe bet for platinum approval? My credit history is short, about 8 months right now, but they did approve me for the green and I have been paying it right away and using it for all my spending.

TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 16 of 69
Open123
Super Contributor

@espnjunkie wrote:

Thanks for the info Open. I am happy with the green card for now, but do you think with 6 months of history on the green I would be a pretty safe bet for platinum approval? My credit history is short, about 8 months right now, but they did approve me for the green and I have been paying it right away and using it for all my spending.

Yes, I'm sure you'll be approved whenever you're ready.  In my estimation, if you qualify for the Green, with very few exceptions you'd qualify for the Platinum.

Message 17 of 69
Creditspa
Valued Member

What is the conversion for Amex MR point to say AA points. Is it a 1:1 ratio?

Message 18 of 69
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Conversion rates are mostly 1:1 but the best thing to do is make use of offers such as 1.5 British Airways points per 1 MR point. Wait until there is a deal then covert all of your points over.

TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 19 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

so the Global Entry thing ......... just do the online stuff at the GOES site, pay with the Platinum and then they credit the fee afterwards?

Or do you do it thru the AMEX site?  My gold hasn't been updated yet online (up to 48hrs) so I'm wondering if it matters to start at the amex site.

Message 20 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.