cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The AMEX Platinum temptation is great ....

tag
saaws
New Contributor

Re: The AMEX Platinum temptation is great ....

@Anonymous wrote:

so the Global Entry thing ......... just do the online stuff at the GOES site, pay with the Platinum and then they credit the fee afterwards?

Or do you do it thru the AMEX site?  My gold hasn't been updated yet online (up to 48hrs) so I'm wondering if it matters to start at the amex site.

you just do the online stuff at the GOES site and Amex automatically refunds the fee.

EQ 734 (2010/09) 680 (2011/08) 700 (2012/04) 701 (2013/01) | EX 737 (2011/09 AMEX) | TU 755 (2010/09) 721 (2011/09)
Amex Platinum NPSL / Blue Cash Preferred $10K | BofA Visa $9K | Discover More $8.5K | Cap1 Best Buy MC $7K | Chase Ink Bold $12.5K / Sapphire Preferred $5.5K / MileagePlus Select Visa $5K / Freedom $2K | Dell Store $3K
Message 21 of 69
chiyex
Valued Member

i just clicked upgrade now and it gave me the message my upgrade was approved and i would receive my card in 7 days. i have a 3500 limit on my card. i wonder if the card i get would have no preset limit.

Message 22 of 69
CS800
Super Contributor

Great card if you travel a lot. I use it all the time. The platinum customer service is awesome.

Message 23 of 69
chiyex
Valued Member

what if you dont travel a lot? can yo use for regular purchases and redeem points as gift cards?

Message 24 of 69
saaws
New Contributor

@chiyex wrote:

what if you dont travel a lot? can yo use for regular purchases and redeem points as gift cards?

if you really don't travel - Platinum card would not make sense. It depends on your spending if you use one for regular purchases. if you do a lot of grocery shopping and fill your gas a lot, Blue Cash preferred just makes perfect sense cuz you get 6% back on groceries and 3% on department store (including Amazon.com apparently) and gas and 1% on everything else. One thing is, Blue cash preferred still has an option to redeem for gift cards and merchandise, not just getting cash back. some gift cards, you get a discount. merchandise - you have to be careful with the markup, you might be paying a lot more than just buying it outright. If you really want Membership rewards card, Zinc or Premier Rewards Golds may make sense, but PRG card has a pretty high annual fee. Amex Clear sends you $20 amex gift card every time you spend $2000, automatically but honestly that's not very good return.

EQ 734 (2010/09) 680 (2011/08) 700 (2012/04) 701 (2013/01) | EX 737 (2011/09 AMEX) | TU 755 (2010/09) 721 (2011/09)
Amex Platinum NPSL / Blue Cash Preferred $10K | BofA Visa $9K | Discover More $8.5K | Cap1 Best Buy MC $7K | Chase Ink Bold $12.5K / Sapphire Preferred $5.5K / MileagePlus Select Visa $5K / Freedom $2K | Dell Store $3K
Message 25 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm thinking about taking the plunge also, I only have the AmEx Costco True Earnings Card right now but I've had it for about two years now and my credit Score has gone up significantly since I received that card as in my signature below I'm almost part of the 800 club (so excited) Do you think if I try and jump right into the American Express Platinum I'll be approved?  I really want one for some reason after reading all the forums on here.  I do travel here and there via Airline but I go to Vegas all the time, so that in itself may help me justify the 450 annual fee?  What do you think?  I'll probably hold off until I return to the states though because from what I've heard it's better to talk to a real person live thoughts? 

Message 26 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

online the Gold is now Platinum Smiley Happy

Is there a new 800 number on the back to call in, such as for the Concierge?

I'm going to try it out with my domestic flight/hotel lol

Message 27 of 69
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

online the Gold is now Platinum Smiley Happy

Is there a new 800 number on the back to call in, such as for the Concierge?

I'm going to try it out with my domestic flight/hotel lol

http://exploreplatinum.americanexpress.com/Benefits/AllBenefits

Start there, and begin enrolling in all the memberships programs.  There's also a special number for Platinum card holders only when you call AmEx--800.525.3355.

Message 28 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!!!
Message 29 of 69
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm thinking about taking the plunge also, I only have the AmEx Costco True Earnings Card right now but I've had it for about two years now and my credit Score has gone up significantly since I received that card as in my signature below I'm almost part of the 800 club (so excited) Do you think if I try and jump right into the American Express Platinum I'll be approved?  I really want one for some reason after reading all the forums on here.  I do travel here and there via Airline but I go to Vegas all the time, so that in itself may help me justify the 450 annual fee?  What do you think?  I'll probably hold off until I return to the states though because from what I've heard it's better to talk to a real person live thoughts? 

I'm sure you'll qualify.  In most cases, once you qualify for a revolver, you will qualify for any Amex charge cards, except for the Black.

I think the annual fee is worth it if you use the $200 airline credit per year and find some value in the Priority Pass lounges.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to apply for the 50k MR bonus.  If you're a first time Platinum holder, there's little risk in trying the card for a year.  The 50k Mr points + airline credits ($400 since it's on a calendar year) will more than make up for the fee.

Message 30 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.