cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The AMEX Platinum temptation is great ....

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: The AMEX Platinum temptation is great ....

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the reply Open123, I appreciate your time.  I think when I get back I'm going to go for it!  I already have a bunch of stuff at home waiting for me to open I dont want a nice Platinum card just sitting there in my pile collecting dust hahaa!  Hey question not that you mentioned it I'm curious what's the story with the BLACK card??

It's their Centurion card that comes in black titanium.

The card is Amex's flagship product offered by invitation only based on a set of criteria known only to them.  It's been suggested some minimum requirements are spending $250k in a calendar year with an uber high and quality credit profile.  

The card is also offered to some without those requirements if other criteria are met.  For instance, if you're a world class violinist, but don't have the financial profile, Amex may still offer the card at no fee.  

It is a card that one can't apply for, and can only be invited to apply.

Message 41 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow!!

Not a card for the lil people I guess!  I'll take my 20 year military pension (next year) and live a humble life with my sugar mama and settle for the AmEx Platinum.  It's not a bad life!

Smiley Happy

Message 42 of 69
birjest
Frequent Contributor

21 years Navy here.  I am in for 2 more, but before i retire, I am going to app for the plat!!!!

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 43 of 69
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

Love my Amex Platinum.  Closed my Gold Premier and opened a Platinum to go with my Blue Cash.  Well worth it if you can use the benefits, and the backdating is sweet, too.  .  Smiley Wink

Message 44 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

is a gate upgrade to First Class something that would count toward the $200 airline fee coverage?

edit:  I got an answer from Plat ...... not covered

Message 45 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the 21 years my friend I know it's been a long hard road for me I'm sure it's the same for you Platinum is what we deserve I think it's got a nice ring to it!!

Message 46 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a question on this one!  Did you have to close the other one or you just did that becasue they both have fee's and you just wanted the Platuinum.  I ask because I don't plan on closeing my AmEx Costco card I don't think unless there is really a convincing reason I should??

Message 47 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aw man well that isn't cool!

Message 48 of 69
longhorn11
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

is a gate upgrade to First Class something that would count toward the $200 airline fee coverage?

edit:  I got an answer from Plat ...... not covered

Amex's T&Cs exclude a lot of things that in the end actually end up being reimbursed.  I've heard of gift cards and even airline tickets both of which are not supposed to be covered, being credited back.  It's just a computer algorithm deciding which expenses look valid.  

Also, bigdaddy18 and birjest thanks for your service!!  Smiley Happy

Message 49 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem Longhorn11, hey you know I feel compeled to say this becasue I assume your from Texas or were from Texas and again I'm being steriotypical in saying this but I'm in Afghanistan right now and guess who was here last night and put on a show for the Troops TOBY KEITH!  Yea it was cool as **bleep**!  I mean I really do appreciate people like that who take the time to come out and support us all we ever really want is a Thank you just makes me  feel proud to hear you say it!!

Message 50 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.