Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The “All other purchases” card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The “All other purchases” card

@Anonymouswrote:

Hands down. Cap1 Quicksilver. Find me any other card that makes instant redemption of cashback absolutely any time you want for any amount, almost instant cashback availability on purchases, and no expiry dates, and Ill change to that 2% card. Cap 1 has mastered a usable clean and super slick cashback card. 

In the face of it all at a measly rewards rate of 1.5% or 2% (My Citi DC) I'm not struggling enough or aspiring to need the CashBack anymore than monthly (or even longer).

Minimum $25 redemption and points expire if the card is not used for an entire year. I'll take the DC and the extra .5%

I also participate in Citi DC's Price Rewind program which is an additional way to earn.

While Citi DC's new $100 sign up bonus after eligible spending is nice (even if I missed out) you still get $50 more in sign up bonus with your Cap1. Which I'll earn that back and more after 1 year of spending with the DC 2%

Message 11 of 46
jbsilva21
Regular Contributor

I rotate non category spend between Amex Platinum, BCP, and Cap1 QS. I use the Platinum like my debit card and working on accumulating MR points and depending on the time of the month BCP or C1 QS. I am the same where my non category spend does not really do much for  1% or 1.5% cash back. I am hoping that in the end the MR points will make up for some of the difference if I don't use all of the travel credit on the Amex Platinum, which I have already used all but the uber credits since it is per month.

Message 12 of 46
601flyguy
Established Contributor

+1 on the QS. The CB posts before the charge does and is available for use immediately.
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 13 of 46
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I have the Cap1 QS and I like it but I’m willing to wait for the next statement and a $25 minimum to get 2% and price rewind with the Citi DC. It adds up pretty quick. That card never leaves my wallet.
Message 14 of 46
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

Hands down. Cap1 Quicksilver. Find me any other card that makes instant redemption of cashback absolutely any time you want for any amount, almost instant cashback availability on purchases, and no expiry dates, and Ill change to that 2% card. Cap 1 has mastered a usable clean and super slick cashback card. 

But marketed correctly: "Hey, ChrisMeyers2k1: would you like to earn 33% MORE on your cashback.   Yes, that's right!!!! 33% MORE on EVERY transaction!!   Operators are standing by."

The point being, the difference between 1.5 and 2 is "only" 0.5% but they are generally small amounts anyway, and a 2% card is a rather large percentage increase.   While QS does have one of the best redemption systems (points post with transaction, no minimum redemption) 33% is a large cost.

Message 15 of 46
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UpperNwGuywrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Most of the rewards earning cards offer 1% cas back on “all other purchases.”

Does everyone here just get the 1% or is there another card you use for everything that doesn’t fall within your main cash back rewards?

When you say "most of the rewards earning cards," I think you're refering to one type of rewards card, the 3-2-1 type where you get 3% back on one category (gas, dining, or groceries), 2% back on a second category, and 1% back on all other purchases.  I have had a couple of these cards, and I use them only for the 3% categories.  I avoid using them for anything else.  My 2% on everything card gets all the rest of my transactions.  If I could only have one card in my wallet, it would be a 2% or 1.5% on everything card, not a 3-2-1 card.  I've done the math, and the rewards would be higher.  I have also noticed that the 3-2-1 cards tend to have higher minimum redemptions than flat rate cards, and I consider that a drawback.

It's a little more general that that, e.g. Freedom, Discover IT, where you get 5% on some transactions, 1% on the rest, or cash +, which is 5%, 2%, 1%.

Message 16 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think most people with a 5-2-1 card in time will end up using it only for the 5% category/categories.  I say in time because if it's one of their only cards (starting out) they may use it more often than would otherwise be the case if they had a more diverse set of cards.

Message 17 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Post rebuild I'm using the discover IT to kill two categories with one card - a rotating category 10% back card & a 2% on everything else card. Plus they gave me my first five digit limit card which at the time was a good 4k above the rest. All of this made the IT perfect.

For the first year anyways, once CB match ends in August the cards value to me drops significantly as it goes back to a semi-overlapping 5/1% cat card. But for year one you can't beat it. I'm Au on the wife's citi dividend, which we're PC'ing to double cash (on account of terrible categories) and will take the place of flat rate 2% card come August.

I'm of the mind that if you are genuinely pumping enough spend through a general purpose card that the. 05% difference between a standard 1.5% vs 2% card is significant enough to warrant the HP and AAOA hit to open a 2% card you're "doing it wrong" and should consider adopting a points ecosystem and using that card instead of a cashback. Of course that's just this bears opinion.
Message 18 of 46
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
I'm of the mind that if you are genuinely pumping enough spend through a general purpose card that the. 05% difference between a standard 1.5% vs 2% card is significant enough to warrant the HP and AAOA hit to open a 2% card you're "doing it wrong" and should consider adopting a points ecosystem and using that card instead of a cashback. Of course that's just this bears opinion.

The points ecosystems only yield good returns for travel redemptions.  Many people on this board don't travel, so they avoid points and miles and stick to cash back cards.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 19 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never travel.  Literally never.  I downgraded my CSP to the CS last week to avoid the AF approaching in May, as I only got the card for the $500 SUB.

Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.