Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Amex EO responded to my request to PC my Optima Oasis

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Amex EO responded to my request to PC my Optima Oasis

And...it was the nicest "no" I've ever received. HA!

For folks who may not have come accross my previous posts on the Optima Oasis, I've had the card for several years. Amex offered me this card in exchange for paying off the balance on an old debt. Since finding this forum, I've cleaned up my credit report, raised my fico's to above 775 across the board and purchased a home.  I'm ready to shed credit hardships.  As I explained in my letter to the EO, I requested a PC instead of applying for a new card because the Optima is my oldest card. The EO rep I spoke with, talked to me for about 5 minutes. She very apologetically explained that although they valued me as a customer, this card was not eligible for an upgrade or even a downgrade because in order for them to do that, there had to be another card in that line.  I'll definitely hang on to the card, but it looks like I won't truly be back in the Amex until they introduce a card that is worthy of me giving up an HP

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: The Amex EO responded to my request to PC my Optima Oasis

You mentioned it couldn't be upgraded or downgraded my question is how can a no frills card with no benefits be downgraded anyway? Is there something below an optima? If Amex currently doesn't have a card worthy of a HP, what were you hoping to pc to then?
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just because a different card may benefit someone more doesn't make it worth a HP and new account. I commend the OP for not doing a new application to make $10 extra a year. Just like the DC obviously earns more than my QS but it's not worth the HP and new account for that tiny bit extra.
Message 3 of 11
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

I had an Ultima card ions ago when they first came out. IIRC they were the first revolver for Amex

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 4 of 11
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

@Meanmchine wrote:

I had an Ultima card ions ago when they first came out. IIRC they were the first revolver for Amex

That Optima and this Optima are completely different products. This is rebuilder and the older one was Optima Platinum.

Message 5 of 11
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Sorry you did not get what you were asking for. At least they responded to you and were not rude. Others may ignore all together.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 11
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

I hate when they recycle names ;p

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditguy I think you missed  the point  of my post.

Because of backdating, the Optima Oasis( yes this is a different card from the original Optima) is my OLDEST card. at 19.3 years. I hardly use it now because I have other cards that benifit me more. The Optima Oasis gives me no cashback and no miles and I pay a 49 dollar AF.  My reason for wanting to PC IE NOT take a hard pull and get a new card with Amex,  is because I wanted to perserve that and age and possibly get some benefits at the same time. The reason I mentioned the no upgrade or downgrade is because this was information the rep gave me. She was probably refering to  the blue cash line when she mentioned it  and I thought it would be useful to others in the same situation.

Message 8 of 11
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Because of backdating, the Optima Oasis( yes this is a different card from the original Optima) is my OLDEST card. at 19.3 years. I hardly use it now because I have other cards that benifit me more. The Optima Oasis gives me no cashback and no miles and I pay a 49 dollar AF.  My reason for wanting to PC IE NOT take a hard pull and get a new card with Amex,  is because I wanted to perserve that and age and possibly get some benefits at the same time. The reason I mentioned the no upgrade or downgrade is because this was information the rep gave me. She was probably refering to  the blue cash line when she mentioned it  and I thought it would be useful to others in the same situation.

Why not just close it then? I mean how new are your other cards? AAoA isn't worth $49 a year for the AF IMHO but thats just me. 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why not just close it then? I mean how new are your other cards? AAoA isn't worth $49 a year for the AF IMHO but thats just me. 

I'm able to offset  some if not all of the AF with offers. Also this card is over 5 grand so IMHO it is worth keeping for now.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.