cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Best AMEX Card for Newbies/How Long Until My Score Improves?

tag
KaizenNeko

The Best AMEX Card for Newbies/How Long Until My Score Improves?

Hi all. I'd like some advice regarding applying for an AMEX card. A little background: I'm relatively new to the US; I moved here a little over two years ago. 

My current cards are:

-Capital One Platinum ($750 limit, 1 yr old)

-Amazon Storecard ($1700 limit, 9 months old)

-Barclaycard Visa ($1300 limit, 6 months old)

My normal mode of operation is to pay my cards in full each month; after a series of unfortunate life events in January (car needed to be fixed/hospital bills/more hospital bills), I found myself owing a total of just over $2000.00.  That debt maxed out my Capital One and Barclaycard.  I was able to pay off little bits over the last three months, but it wasn't until last week that I was able to pay the remaining balances ($800 on the Barclay, $300 on the CapOne).  Because of this my current scores are: TU:630/EX:638.   Smiley Sad

I use the Capital One as my primary card; as such I currently have a balance of $200 on my Capital One and a zero balance on my other cards. 

My questions are:

1) Barring any more unforeseen life events, if I keep my cards at a low utilization (less than 25%) and continue to pay them off when due, how long will it take for my scores to go back up?

2) What sort of score do I need to apply for an AMEX, considering that my credit history is pretty new?

3) When I do apply for an AMEX, which is the better card to start out with? Is there a 'best time' to apply?  I've been tossing up between the Zync, AMEX green and the Clear. I'd eventually like to apply for the Starwood, as I travel a lot for work (15+ times a year) and I prefer to stay at Starwood properties.

Current Score:07/30/13 TU 720 EQ 735
Goal Score: 850

Cards: Cap One Platinum, Amazon Store Card, Barclaycard Apple Financing Visa, AMEX Zync, AMEX Gold, AMEX SPGTake the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The Best AMEX Card for Newbies/How Long Until My Score Improves?

@KaizenNeko wrote:

Hi all. I'd like some advice regarding applying for an AMEX card. A little background: I'm relatively new to the US; I moved here a little over two years ago. 

My current cards are:

-Capital One Platinum ($750 limit, 1 yr old)

-Amazon Storecard ($1700 limit, 9 months old)

-Barclaycard Visa ($1300 limit, 6 months old)

My normal mode of operation is to pay my cards in full each month; after a series of unfortunate life events in January (car needed to be fixed/hospital bills/more hospital bills), I found myself owing a total of just over $2000.00.  That debt maxed out my Capital One and Barclaycard.  I was able to pay off little bits over the last three months, but it wasn't until last week that I was able to pay the remaining balances ($800 on the Barclay, $300 on the CapOne).  Because of this my current scores are: TU:630/EX:638.   Smiley Sad

I use the Capital One as my primary card; as such I currently have a balance of $200 on my Capital One and a zero balance on my other cards. 

My questions are:

1) Barring any more unforeseen life events, if I keep my cards at a low utilization (less than 25%) and continue to pay them off when due, how long will it take for my scores to go back up?

2) What sort of score do I need to apply for an AMEX, considering that my credit history is pretty new?

3) When I do apply for an AMEX, which is the better card to start out with? Is there a 'best time' to apply?  I've been tossing up between the Zync, AMEX green and the Clear. I'd eventually like to apply for the Starwood, as I travel a lot for work (15+ times a year) and I prefer to stay at Starwood properties.

the Zync is the best to start with, you should get all your current cards to report a 0$ balance before you apply..   do you have any negative remarks on your credit report, such as late payments or collections?

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 11
learnin113
Established Contributor

If the Barclays and Crap One are paid in full now as you say...then your score will see a nice bounce and I believe you would be good to go applying for a Zync.

Message 3 of 11
KaizenNeko

the Zync is the best to start with, you should get all your current cards to report a 0$ balance before you apply..   do you have any negative remarks on your credit report, such as late payments or collections?

No, I have no negative remarks on my credit reports. Those scores I quoted were from a month ago before the debt was paid in full.  What makes the Zync the best card in this scenario? Thanks.

Cards: Cap One Platinum, Amazon Store Card, Barclaycard Apple Financing Visa, AMEX Zync, AMEX Gold, AMEX SPGTake the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once your cards report updated balances, you should be set to apply for either the Zync or Green card.  Charge cards are considerably easier to obtain than Amex credit cards; you'd likely be unable to be approved for a Clear or SPG card.  After establishing some more history, particularly with Amex, consider a credit card from them in about 12 months.

Message 5 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@KaizenNeko wrote:

No, I have no negative remarks on my credit reports. Those scores I quoted were from a month ago before the debt was paid in full.  What makes the Zync the best card in this scenario? Thanks.

Your scores were low because of your balances,   once those balances update, you'll be a good candidate for their Zync, which is designed for young professionals who are on the go. Its also their newcomer card, so they are a little more forgiving of thinner files, and some negative remarks.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 11
KaizenNeko

Thanks for the replies/advice, everyone. Smiley Happy

I'm going to wait until my CC balances update and then apply.  Fingers crossed.

Message 7 of 11
readyfireaim
New Contributor

Is there a difference between Green & Gold for AMEX charge cards in terms of likelihood to be approved? Or is it just a difference in annual fees and benefits?

Starting Scores: EQ 697 (4/3/12) / TU 683 (4/3/12) / EX FICO 643 (3/16/12)
Current Scores: EX FICO 751 (7/25/12 Bellco CU) / EQ 735 (8/1/12) / TU 734 (8/1/12) /
Baddies: One 30 Day Late - Installment Loan (10/2011)
Cards:Costco AMEX $19500, Bellco Platinum Visa $10000, Discover More $9000, Chase Southwest Premier $5000, Delta Gold AMEX $2000, Merrick Bank Visa $1850, Orchard Bank Secured $500, ZYNC
Goal Score: 760+
Message 8 of 11
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Green, Gold and Paltinum all have the same requirements. If you can qualify for a NPSL charge card it seems like you would qualify for any of them. You just pay extra for additional benefits. Depending on your spending I would say the Green is a huge upgrade over the Zync due to earning full MR points that can be transferred to airline miles. With the periodic transfer bonuses this makes them worth far more than express points. YMMV of course

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 9 of 11
KaizenNeko

So I've taken the last few weeks since I wrote this original thread to get my finances in tip top shape.  I applied for the AMEX Zync today and was approved. Smiley Very Happy

I'm very happy to have my credit scores on the upswing and my financial life heading in the right direction. Not to mention now being an AMEX customer!

Thanks so much for all your advice.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.