Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Big Boy (and Girl) Club - September 2012 Edition

tag
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

The Big Boy (and Girl) Club - September 2012 Edition

This thread is those of you leaving the world low, toy-like credit limits and have graduated to more mature, big boy (and girl) limits.  

Share your stories and tips and give motivation to others!

Welcome to the club!

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The Big Boy (and Girl) Club - September 2012 Edition

No offends but this thread is not significantly different from another thread you started. Why not read the posts on that thread rather than start a brand new thread?
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 12
severine
Contributor

I thought of myself as having terrible credit for so long that when I started to receive offers in fall 11 I was very surprised. I have HUGE MASSIVE student loan debt, but have been slowly paying it off by sending in double payments for the last three years, this has caused my debt to gradually decrease to a point where I am not mortified to tell people the amount I owe ($72,000 down from $122,000, my husband helped me a great deal by putting some of his savings towards it, which was very nice and a gesture of generosity that I do not take lightly). Luckily our mortgage is very low, so both payments are not killing us.

I had had a CapOne "Platinum" card as well as an Amex Optima since 06, both with limits of $1000. Oddly just last spring the CapOne went from $500 to $1000 without me even asking.  The first non-toy limit I was given was the BoA card ($5000) and the Citi card followed several months later ($10,000).  About six months later I received a Discover card ($9750) and a bank visa ($10,000). Since being on this board for the past two weeks I have gotten rid of the CapOne and the Optima, which as an oasis card was seriously holding me back. Last week I was approved for a Chase Freedom ($10,000) but after applying instantly realized I wanted the CSP instead. I called them and they offered me both with the CL split between the two cards. I also was approved for the Delta Skymiles ($10,900) last week,

I would say that the biggest factor in my transition has been the fact that for the past six months I have PIF on every card except one balance here or there. Also because my amount of available credit increased significantly, my util dropped a great deal. Unlike my 20s when I was a supremely stupid person with credit cards, I've finally learned my lesson (the hard way) and have made a huge effort to only put charges on the cards that I know I can pay off at the end of the month. One thing that helps me PIF is that I get paid at the end of the month and all my statements cut around the 15th, so I seem to be always on top of what is due when and have the money to pay for it.

For people who are frustrated or impatient BELIEVE ME I have totally been there: jealous of friends who could effortlessly pay for their meals with an Amex Platinum meanwhile I was ordering the cheapest thing on the menu stressing roomI had left on my Cap One ; terrified checking into a hotel for work that my card would be denied, etc. Time is your best friend, I am proof of that!

Amex PR Gold NPSL | Amex BCP 16.5k| Amex Delta Gold Skymiles 14.9k | Amex BSP 5k | Discover 12.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred 11.9k | Chase Freedom 12k | Chase Sapphire Preferred 12k | US Bank Cash + Visa 13k | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Signature Visa 9.5k | M and T Bank Visa 10.9k | FICO TU 784 EQ 768 EX 784
Message 3 of 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@severin

You realize that you will do yourself a world of good by adding another amex card; maybe a blue or blue cash everyday. You will gain 6 yrs of history for each new American. Express card because they go by your "member since" date. I'm sure your member date is probably earlier than 2006. If I were you I would app for amex today and see what open date they assign you on your credit report. If you have no clue what I'm talking about; Google amex backdating.
FICO 9:

Message 4 of 12
severine
Contributor

@webhopper Funny you should mention that...I app'd for the BCP on the same day that I was approved for the Delta Skymiles card. Because that app was still showing as "in the system", the computer put a hold on it. I called and was told that they then had to manually pull the app and that I would find out within a week. The waiting is killing me, needless to say!

Amex PR Gold NPSL | Amex BCP 16.5k| Amex Delta Gold Skymiles 14.9k | Amex BSP 5k | Discover 12.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred 11.9k | Chase Freedom 12k | Chase Sapphire Preferred 12k | US Bank Cash + Visa 13k | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Signature Visa 9.5k | M and T Bank Visa 10.9k | FICO TU 784 EQ 768 EX 784
Message 5 of 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@severine

Good luck on your amex apps. I bet you get them as long as oasis is reporting as closed in their system.
FICO 9:

Message 6 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Mine happened in March when I had enough history with subprime cards to get AMEX and Discover in my wallet. On of the high points in my credit history. I had a year history on 3 cards, a lot of INQ's but was able to recon Discover. Felt so good to shutdown CreditOne, FP, Household.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 12
DVH1980
Contributor

Mine happened in June, got my Discover and USAA card, would have had an Amex but Teletrack derailed me. No worries, I found a way to get past that. Sicne then Ive been dropping the builders and trying to put together the perfect wallet.

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 8 of 12
wreith
Frequent Contributor

@DVH1980 wrote:

Mine happened in June, got my Discover and USAA card, would have had an Amex but Teletrack derailed me. No worries, I found a way to get past that. Sicne then Ive been dropping the builders and trying to put together the perfect wallet.

What is your way past Teletrack?  I have one line on there that will fall off in Nov, but if there is a way around waiting for that to happen I would love to hear.

01/06/2015 Walmart TU 726
01/06/2015MyFico EQ 705
01/10/2014 USAA FAKO EX 728, EQ 728, TU 728
Discover It $1700, USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $11K, USAA Rewards Platinum MC $12K, CareCredit $13.2K, Chase Freedom $5000, Walmart $4500, Lowes $9800, QVC $1200, HSN $2350, Macys Red Star Store $2900, Paypal smart connect $4022, VS Angelcard $1200, Amazon Store $2500, BCE $4K, Sam's Club Discover $8500, Home Depot $7200, FNBO AMEX $7800
Message 9 of 12
DVH1980
Contributor

Its just a theory that another member said he had success with. I called Teletrack and asked if it was possible to lock my report like the other CB's will do, the lady said it was and the cost was 10 bucks. She said it normally takes a few days. I figured with that locked up Amex wont be able to use that info. I figure I will get denied outright or approved since thats what was holding me back. Another member was denied because of Teletrack, he locked his report, app'd Amex and was approved. Figurd for 10 bucks its worth a shot. My baddie on there wont be off for 2 more years so I figured what the hell. I'll send you a PM if I have any luck, plan on applying for Amex at the end of next week.

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.