Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Chopping Block.

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: The Chopping Block.

I would keep any card that does not have AF and decent CL ( Cl > $500). They are worth keeping, Any card that has AF is going to chopping block.
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I know, I know. You should never close a CC. But, enough is enough. BofA has killed my APR (5.9F to 13.9V), WAMU/Chase stripped away my rewards and I already have a Chase Card I love (Freedom), and Citi refuses to give me a CLI, and I have an Amex Costco card to replace it with the same exact rewards.

So, I'm closing those three cards. However, I'll move the Chase/WAMU CL to my Chase Freedom. I don't need them and I don't want the head aches. I know mathmatically and FICO-wise I shouldn't. But, there's the principle of it all. They can't treat good customers like crap for no reason! I pay off all my CCs every month and I have superlative credit - so bye, bye! 

Anyone else doing the same?

I just hope Amex doesn't turn south on me, lol Smiley Sad. And, I still have my PenFed, USAA, and Chase Freedom - which all have been amazing thus far!!  ::fingers crossed::

I'm right there with you, If more people did the same they would change their tunes......like ......real quick because they would start see their balances shrink up. They gave me a haircut also......10k to 1k guess what.......card is now canceled. To hell with the FICO for now...It's about principle Smiley Wink I'm proud of you for doing this...more people should do the same.
Message 12 of 15
GregB
Valued Contributor

@jaybird201 wrote:

why do you have rewards cards when you're concerned about aprs? my card aprs average 16% because they're all rewards cards. i don't care about that though, because i never carry a balance. if i were worred about my aprs, i wouldn't keep a single rewards card in my wallet.

I don't understand the "fact" that reward cards are higher interest. It does make sense that they would be BUT:

One BofA rewards cards is 7.99% and the other lowered from 9.24% to 8.49% last month. My Chase Starbucks reward card is 7.24%.

I think those are actually lower on average than my non-reward cards but I do use the rewards cards far more. This year I've receive checks on the first card for $75, the second for $250 and the Starbucks/Chase Card says it has rebated me $214 in Jan-March.

Message 13 of 15
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Amex is the frontrunner in random AA and Penfed appears to be joining the AA game, so you'll probably get AA or closures on those cards if you get rid of your backups.
Message Edited by athensguy on 04-19-2009 02:03 PM
Message 14 of 15
jaybird201
Established Contributor

@GregB wrote:

@jaybird201 wrote:

why do you have rewards cards when you're concerned about aprs? my card aprs average 16% because they're all rewards cards. i don't care about that though, because i never carry a balance. if i were worred about my aprs, i wouldn't keep a single rewards card in my wallet.

I don't understand the "fact" that reward cards are higher interest. It does make sense that they would be BUT:

One BofA rewards cards is 7.99% and the other lowered from 9.24% to 8.49% last month. My Chase Starbucks reward card is 7.24%.

I think those are actually lower on average than my non-reward cards but I do use the rewards cards far more. This year I've receive checks on the first card for $75, the second for $250 and the Starbucks/Chase Card says it has rebated me $214 in Jan-March.

Well any rewards cards with lower interest rates than the average non-rewards card are the exception rather than the rule. I feel like there are two reasons why rewards cards charge higher interest rates than non-rewards cards: 1) they earn less on interchange due to them having to pay more of it out in rewards, so they charge higher interest rates to make up the difference in lost revenue 2) people are more wiling to swallow a larger interest rate since they're getting rewards in return (though if you do the math, the interest you pay is usually substantially more than what you would ever earn in rewards)

either way, i think the best route is to never carry a balance, that way you can the card with the best benefits and rewards, even if it has an interest rate of 1,000%. i'd even go so far as to say that nobody should EVER carry a balance unless you're broke, right out of school, and need car repairs or a suit for a job interview -- other than that, everyone should live at or below their means. period.

Message Edited by jaybird201 on 04-19-2009 02:19 PM
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.