The Costco Amex as a travel card

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: The Costco Amex as a travel card

@fot1 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

But if you restrict to the Amex network, you might as well also get the Fidelity Amex, which is no AF and 2% cash back on everything.

+1

Right, and it earns 2% at Costco, while the TE Costco card is 1%.

Does it have the %3 cash back on gas like TE Cosco?

No, it's a straight 2% on everything card.   Note my post suggested as an addition, my point was that 2% on some things isn't all that exciting since there are cards which have 2% on everything.  But as Rev points out, some of them may be harder to obtain than the Amex card.   

Message 21 of 23
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

@Boragard wrote:

A little off topic but Does anyone know when the cash back from Costco  post to your account?  Also, the same for my green card? I got both cards last month & no cash back or membership rewards as of yet.  I will be coming up on my second statement in a couple weeks for both accounts.  

The cash back for the TE closes in Jan and comes the mail in Feb. You have until Aug to redeem it at Costco. The cash back you earned usually reflects on the website about a month later. My guess is you missed the cutoff and will not a cash back check until Feb 2015.

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 22 of 23
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@too-much-time wrote:

In light of some upcoming trips, I was reminded of the Costco Amex as a travel card.

"... 2% on eligible travel purchases (eligible travel purchases are airfare, hotel rooms, car rentals, cruise lines, travel agencies, tour operators and purchases from Costco Travel); and 1% on other eligible purchases, including at Costco."

"Hotel 2% cash back, Rental Car & Taxi 2% cash back, Air Travel 2% cash back"

I called customer service, who not only verified that taxi cabs are at 2%, but also told me that public transportation such as buses and trains too are double. Freeway toll passes though are at 1%, although some Costco stores sell starter kits with toll tags.

Then I called customer service to see if Airbnb would be coded in the hotel category. The information wasn't available to customer service at this time, but I was welcome to charge a stay and call them back for a possible adjustment from 1% to 2%.

But if you restrict to the Amex network, you might as well also get the Fidelity Amex, which is no AF and 2% cash back on everything.

What's the underwriting criteria on the Fidelity Amex?  I know I get advertising spam from them for the card, but I thought it was harder by a non-trivial amount than the typical relatively easy Amex approval?

I would say it is comparable to any other BoA/FIA card. Probably looking for scores in the 700s, reasonable amount of inquiries and AAoA. Mine wasn't an instant approval (I had to call in), and the analyst said perfect payment history and absolutely no derogs helped my app immensely. 

Added the FidAmex and Merrill+ in Jan using one HP.  Aporoved with 743 EX, AAOA 6 yrs and no inq's in 6 mos but several in 12 mos. no derog-$10k each

DH was thinking about adding the TE next month.  Still on the fence since we have the Fid Amex but it will add another 1985 backdated Amex for him. 

Thanks Lex and Chelsea.  Looking at the creditpulls database didn't see anyone recent sub 700 at all, and most were mid 700.  Surprisingly there weren't that many entries for the card, which I thought would be a lot more popular but maybe it's just getting updated religiously.

Guess the question for me is whether on applying for the Fidelity Amex if they take into consideration Fidelity-hosted assets akin to BOFA wMerril or Chase with CPC.

        
Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.