Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

@SnackTrader wrote:

@Joesh wrote:

The CSR i talked to had no idea when I could ask for a CLI, she said I could ask for one now, even though I opened my account in late Novemeber. Instead I just asked her for my account opening date which she said was Nov. 26. So based on that I should be able to ask for CLI on like January 27th? Maybe I'll just wait for January 31st or will have to call another CSR - based on the talk in this thread I thought they would just be able to rattle off to me the date I was eligible right away; no such luck.

Account opening = November 26. So count 61 days out from there. Done. No further thinking necessary. Don't overthink this people. 

The guide is supposed to eliminate overthinking, and it does a great job of just that.

Thanks, great point about keeping it simple Smiley Happy

@Joesh

CSRs opinions on CLI eligibility does not follow consistent patterns. I have had that happen to me as well, when after receiving 61 day CLI, I called a few days later for BCP CLI. No warnings from CSR and she was very happy to take the application. This is how I learnt about the 6 month rule when I  recieved the denail letter in mail. (well discovered in forums as well right around the same time). A few days later I tried to game the system by attempting to move CLs which another CSR tried to help with over the phone. Came to know about the 13 statements rule via this process. CSRs are constantly been churned in Amex and they may not know the hard coded system rules, although they should.

The guide says, some CSRs will calculate the first eligible date for you. What they can definitely say with accuracy is the account open date, which is something they will always be able to see in the system, meaning you will never get two different answers about account open date. It makes it easier to just ask that and calculate yourself. Please don't hold it against them when they cannot do the calculation or do not know all the hard coded system rules for CLI.

Your account opening date in November 26. It will complete 60 days on January 25 based on the following calculation

Number of days open in Nobember = 30-26 = 4

Number of days open in Decmber = 31

Number of days open by January 25 = 25

-----------------------------------------------------------

Total Number of days open by January 25 = 4 + 31 + 25 = 60

First eligible day for CLI, provided no other CLIs in last 6 months on any account = January 26

There have been some nice discussions and data points. I am planning on updating OP this weekend.

Message 51 of 5,432
westcoastpirate
Contributor

Thanks to this thread I was able to get my account open date from CS, and I'm now eligible for the CLI about 5 days prior to when I thought I was eligible.

I would like to know, though, if the 6 month CLI is 6 months or 180 days from your last approved CLI?

Message 52 of 5,432
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@westcoastpirate wrote:

Thanks to this thread I was able to get my account open date from CS, and I'm now eligible for the CLI about 5 days prior to when I thought I was eligible.

I would like to know, though, if the 6 month CLI is 6 months or 180 days from your last approved CLI?

The denial letter says "6 months" from what I recall. I am approaching my 6 month mark soon, so will be able to test out the scenario (180 days vs 6 calendar months)

Here are my timelines

====================

Amex HHS Applied: 05/24/2012

Amex HHS Approved (Instant approval): 05/24/2012

Amex HHS "Date Opened": 05/29/2012 

Amex HHS Activated: 06/01/2012

Amex HHS Credit Limit: $8,300

Amex BCP Applied: 05/24/2012

Amex BCP Approved (Recon): 05/29/2012

Amex BCP "Date Opened": 06/04/2012

Amex BCP Activated: 06/08/2012

Amex BCP Credit Limit: $4,000

Amex HHS 3X CLI Attempted: 07/24/2012 (Called 61 days after approval via automated phone method. Got instant denial message and to expect a letter within 7-10 days explaining reason(s))

Amex HHS CLI Discussion: 07/26/2012 (I really wasn't aware of rules and forums posts turned out to be so contradicting. I knew I'd jumped the gun and it was not a credit profile/income issue. Thought I'd try to find out from CSR and apply again if possible. Luckily got a very knowledgable rep on the phone who went over both HHS and BCP accounts and gave me the exact dates of eligibility for both. I figured out she was calculating from Date Opened later on as I had two datapoints)

Amex HHS 3X CLI Attempted (2nd attempt): 07/29/2012 (Date the CSR had given me. Instant approval on automated phone app).

At this point in time, I had asked in other places too to see if Amex allows a 2nd CLI if that is also past the 61 day eligibility, even if another account had just recieved a 3X CLI. Got contradicting posts again. So I thought I'd call up again Smiley Happy

Amex BCP 3X CLI Attempted: 08/04/2012. This was the date the CSR had given me on 07/26 during the call. But since I had doubts in my mind, I attempted the CLI via phone through a CSR because they would be able to stop me if they could see I had received a CLI just a few days ago and I also brought it up to his attention. CSR happily encouraged to apply Smiley Indifferent and took the app on phone. At the end, as mildly expected, he said I need to wait for the decision in mail. I knew it was denial and found the 6 month rule in the mail.

Amex Credit Limit Shuffling Attempted: 08/14/2012. I wasn't to be outdone afterall and thought I could game the system by shuffling limits in order to get both cards above $20,000. Called Amex to try this. Had no clue about the 13 statement rule at this time and wasn't even expecting anything from the CSR to even ask upfront. CSR never bothered to tell me this wasn't possible because of the 13 statement rule. At the end of the call, said I need to wait for letter in mail. I knew it was a denial. Found the 13 statement rule in mail a few days later. Amex cannot be gamed Smiley LOL

I will be able to test out several scenarios since my 6 month 3X CLI is coming up for Amex BCP.

Last CLI Received on one of the accounts: 07/29/2012

I will complete 180 days since last CLI on January 25, 2013. (2+31+30+31+30+31+25). Eligible date for CLI going by this rule = January 26, 2013

I will complete 6 months since last CLI on January 29, 2013. Eligible date for CLI going by this rule = January 30, 2013

Am planning on attempting on Jan 26 first. My credit score is near 800 on EX and I have been tracking the softs. If I get denied, it will be most likely because of violating the eligibility rules and not income/credit profile. I will attempt again on Jan 30 if that is the case without necessarily waiting for email/snail mail. It will also confirm if I reset the window during the attempted credit shuffle on 08/14/2012

If others have datapoints to share, please do. 

Message 53 of 5,432
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

@sakhalin070 wrote:

I have a $15k income (full-time student, part time worker), and my current AMEX CL is $3300.  Would requesting the full 3x to $9900 trigger a FR since my income is only 15k?  I want at least a $5000 credit limit on my AMEX.

Hi, can anyone answer this?  My 61 day is coming up soon and ideally I'd want the $9900 for utilization purposes, but with a $15k income, would asking for $9900 be asking too much/FR?  Thanks!

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 54 of 5,432
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@sakhalin070 wrote:

@sakhalin070 wrote:

I have a $15k income (full-time student, part time worker), and my current AMEX CL is $3300.  Would requesting the full 3x to $9900 trigger a FR since my income is only 15k?  I want at least a $5000 credit limit on my AMEX.

Hi, can anyone answer this?  My 61 day is coming up soon and ideally I'd want the $9900 for utilization purposes, but with a $15k income, would asking for $9900 be asking too much/FR?  Thanks!

I doubt it would result in an FR because you're providing your income up front during the CLI. If they really feel it is unreasonable, they will counter or straight up deny you! Hope that helps! Why not shoot for the stars? XD

Message 55 of 5,432
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide Discussion Thread

I suggest you Aim to the full 3xcli my man. If denied, it'll be a sacrifice for a good cause lol jk
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 56 of 5,432
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@sakhalin070 wrote:

@sakhalin070 wrote:

There has yet to be any challenges to the original post, which clearly discusses a counter offer if you ask for 3x and aren't eligible. I have not seen any examples on this forum of a CLI request triggering FR. 

From the OP:

"Even if a 3X CLI is requested, Amex may counter offer a partial increase which you can choose to accept or refuse. It is a good idea to not short change yourself and ask for a partial increase from the beginning because Amex system is smart enough to approve a partial CLI if eligible."

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 57 of 5,432
QuantumCredit
New Contributor

Guys, my 61 day is coming up in about a week, but my FICO is currently 730, which is 25 points lower than when I applied, and I did not PIF my first month (I have a BCP with 0% for 12 months), but just PIFed everything after I got my second statement. You think I should apply or wait one more month for my scores to go up and for Amex to see me PIF one more time? I know they get annoyed when you don't PIF, esp my first month, I'm thinking they may deny me... Any advice is appreciated.

Message 58 of 5,432
maceto
Contributor

Amex is about how much income you have and spending patterns, so if true on app and with that score you would be fine depending on income
Message 59 of 5,432
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

I got Amex Delta on Dec 2 last year and requested for a CLI right after a few days. As expected, they declined my request saying that their policy doesn't allow them to CLI before 60 days. My question is when would I be eligible for 61 day 3X CLI? After 60 days from Dec 2nd or from the date I got declined?
Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 60 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.