The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide Discussion Thread

@crazee85 wrote:

@armbenderc wrote:

@crazee85 wrote:

Hi.. I am a newbie here.. My Amex credit card was opened all the way back in June 2011 with a credit limit of $4K, and I have not had any credit limit increase after that.. My highest credit limit on any of my cards is $6.5K.. All cards are always paid in full.. Should I just go the online way and request a credit limit of $12K (or should I request for a lower amount)? I assume there won't be any hard pulls (or should I check my credit reports to see when Amex last did a soft pull).. Thanks in advance for any replies..

Go for 12k, do it, keep us updated. Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for the awesome reply.. I just tried and my credit limit has been increased to $12K.. Woohoo!

Smiley Surprised Where is the party? Awesome job!

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 141 of 5,432
aldejesus
Valued Member

Excellent guide, thanks for your time. I'm new to Amex and have no idea about this 3X CLI Smiley Very Happy

Message 142 of 5,432
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

The 3xcli is the most amazing invention ever!!!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 143 of 5,432
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

no doubt

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 144 of 5,432
tatterz
New Contributor

I just recently got the BCE with $2k limit and have some questions.

Should I keep the balance just under $2k and allow it to post on the statement or should I pay in full before the due date? Do both of these methods effect utilization or does only allowing it to post on the statement affect utilization?

I'm just curious because I've read where Chase Amazon has denied CLI due to the fact that utilization was low and the current limit wasn't near to being reached. Their excuse for CLI denial was that since he wasn't taking advantage of using the full limit, why give him more.

Soo..My limit is $2k. Should I charge close to $2k, let the balance drop and show AMEX that a CLI is in order?

TU: 730 (Lender Pull) ; EQ: 738 (MyFico)
Barclay's Sallie Mae 5% Mastercard $1k(4/2013)- My main beach
Chase Freedom $3k (3/2013) - My side beach
Amex BCE $6k (3/2013) - When I feel like a boss
Crapital One Platinum $750 (2/2010) - When I feel like a n00b
Message 145 of 5,432
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@tatterz wrote:

I just recently got the BCE with $2k limit and have some questions.

Should I keep the balance just under $2k and allow it to post on the statement or should I pay in full before the due date? Do both of these methods effect utilization or does only allowing it to post on the statement affect utilization?

I'm just curious because I've read where Chase Amazon has denied CLI due to the fact that utilization was low and the current limit wasn't near to being reached. Their excuse for CLI denial was that since he wasn't taking advantage of using the full limit, why give him more.

Soo..My limit is $2k. Should I charge close to $2k, let the balance drop and show AMEX that a CLI is in order?

Not certain it matters that much, as we've seen initial 61 day CLI's all over the map with a balance on the Amex revolver specifically.

I maxxed my 1K BCP, and am enroute to doing it again.  I let the first one post (sets high balance, Amex is fine for paying after right after statement close in my estimation after my experience with Zync -> BCP approval), but I will be paying early this time and in full for revolving utilization calc when I go for my CLI.

Amex knows my spending profile already from the Zync, so it shouldn't be hard to justify giving me a CLI; though I ran it up, and then left it maxxed as a "Hey, if you gave me a bigger limit I'd spend more!" sign rather than paying multiple times.

We'll see how it works in a week or two when my second statement closes and I take my CLI shot.

        
Message 146 of 5,432
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Ok....so I'm reading this thread at work & figured that I had not requested an increase since July of 2011, so I began the process & realized I need my 4 digit code.  My card is at home in the safe!  Smiley Frustrated

Will let you know how it goes tomorrow....

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 147 of 5,432
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Just tried it tonight when I got home from work.  Got the 7 to 10 day message.  Crap!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT:  Ok, so I got back on their website & noticed that there is a better card than the one I have.  Right now is the Blue Cash Everyday...but the Blue Preferred gives me much more back in rewards, so....I called them!   Bam!    Instant swap to the better card.  I told the 1st guy about the increase I'd asked for & he didn't have much to say about it....then sent me to a woman who did my product swap. 

It will be interesting to see what happens with the CLI!

I'll keep you all in the loop, as I will be checking my acct every day.

Either way, I'll be getting a better product & still have an 18k limit, & a possible increase to 25k.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 148 of 5,432
nash2vic
Valued Member

I was approved for my BCP card with 2k CL on January, 8th and I was expecting to get 3x CLI. I PIF every month my both Amex cards. I have 10% total utilization on my cards. And I got 7-10 message from them.Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 660
Current Score: EX FAKO 799 (Credit.com), TU FICO (Discover) 757 (4/19/14), TU MYFICO 738, EQ ?
Goal Score: 800

Amazon 3500 - PayPal Credit 6000 - Discover IT 9000 - AMEX TE 2000 - AMEX BCE 2000 - CITI TY 6000 - CITI Simplicity - 5900 - Chase Freedom 5800 - Chase Amazon 1700 - Macys 1000 - Cap 1 4000 - CITI Shell 1200 - Chase INK 2000 - CSP 10800 - BofA Cash 5000
Message 149 of 5,432
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

I have had a BCE for about 4 months now. I got the 60 day 3x CLI and I hope to get another after 6 months.

So far I have paid off the card in full every month. However, I was thinking of taking advantage of the 0% interest I was given for the first year and charge $700 that I would pay off in about 7 months. i.e., I'd pay in full all my regular monthly charges, plus $100 for 7 months - so I'd carry a balance of 600 the first month, 500 the next month, etc.

However, I only want to do this if it doesn't affect my ability to get a CLI in a few more months. Thoughts?

Message 150 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.