Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Indo
New Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide Discussion Thread

I only have a limit of $1k on my BCE. I've had the card for almost 2 year s now. I managed (somehow, I don't even know how) to get approved for it when I was 20. I've asked for a CLI twice in the past, both were declined.

I recently got a new job and I've been charging almost 3 times what I've normally charged in the past and paying in full. I jumped the gun and asked for a CLI and got the 4-7 day wait. Smiley Sad Hoping for some good news this time... I'm tired of being stuck at $1k.

Starting Score: 673 EQ(2014)
Current Score: 784 EQ(2022)
Goal Score: 750+

Current cards: AmEx Gold (NPSL), Discover It ($17,000), Barclaycard Rewards ($15,600), Amazon Prime Rewards ($25,200), Apple Card ($15,500), AmEx Blue Business Plus ($30,000), Rakuten Visa ($8,000), My Best Buy ($15,000)
Message 161 of 5,432
dcdcdc

Some people have indicated that that AMEX does NOT do a hard inquiry for a CLI.  I just called Amex to inquire whether its a hard or soft inquiry and was transffered to their credit bureau department (apparantly by mistake according to their credit bureau representative).  Anyways, she said she could answer my question and was certain that requesting a CLI would result in a hard inquiry.  I don't know if this is acocunt specific or not.  I opened a Blue Cash Preferred account almost 6 months ago ($4k credit line) and was looking to request $12K that after reading this thread.  However, considering I may be applying for a mortgage in about 2-3 months, I don't want a hard pull on my credit report - I already have a few.

Message 162 of 5,432
djrez4
Established Contributor

If you request through the website, it is NOT a hard pull.  I'm guessing the phone analysts cannot use a soft pull.

On a different note, Amex finally gave me a 3x on the 9th.  Paid to $0 balance the day before and then requested it.

Message 163 of 5,432
Ancalagon
Established Member

For what it's worth, got my first Credit Karma update after the CLI of $5k to $15k was reported.  My score went from 743 to 759, so it definitely had an effect.

Message 164 of 5,432
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

I just got my 3x CLI on my BCE to 3k this morning. I called the number on the back of my card and went through the automated system. As is commonly known, they went off the last time that they SP me, which was March 31..

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 165 of 5,432
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

I am about 42 days away from being able to request a CLI on one of my cards. I am now rethinking requesting one as I understand the chance of getting a 4506T are pretty good if your request would put your combined revolving total over $34,500. My request would do this by quite a bit. I currently have $31,700 available as follows in order of oldest card first. 

Delta Platinum $6,000 (started at $2,000 and was my only CLI to date)

Delta Reserve Business $5,000

SPG Business $3,000

Hilton $17,700

They put me in an odd place with the Hilton card's awesome starting limit. I would rather have that card at $5,000 and the Delta Reserve at $17,700 as I stand to gain more in rewards with that card's spend bonuses. 30,000 MQM for $60,000 yearly spend is almost imposable with such a small limit unless I max it out and PIF every month plus one or two additional times. 

I will still make the request and decide what to do if I get the 4506T request. What's the procedure for moving limits between cards? That would be a great solution and keep me below the FR threshold. 

Message 166 of 5,432
codesingh
Regular Contributor

@Ancalagon wrote:

For what it's worth, got my first Credit Karma update after the CLI of $5k to $15k was reported.  My score went from 743 to 759, so it definitely had an effect.

Congrats! How long did they take to decide? Was it instant?

~ 100k in Rev CC. 15k Credit Line. 16.5k Car Loan(@1.7%) Starting scores: 690 EQ (Dec 2012) Mid-year FICO scores April ‘13 Pulled by lenders(Barclays, Amex): TU 747 • EQ 752 • EX 746 • Scores As of Nov 2013: 740 and above across the board.
Message 167 of 5,432
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

1) Click on "Profile and Preferences -> More Options -> Manage Credit Limit" under Account Management. With the card highlighted, you will get the option to "Transfer Available Credit to Another Card"

Clicking Start takes you to this screen where you have the choices and other questions.

2) Call and talk to CSR to initiate the transfer.

The 13 statement rule is in effect for both methods. Sometimes the CSR taking the request may not know about the rule.

Message 168 of 5,432
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Thanks for the instructions on transferring limits. I received the Hilton card on 2/12/2013 so it's going to be quite a wait. Sad thing is I was hoping to churn the card but I don't think I can bear to close a card with a $17,700 limit. 

I just followed the instructions and it looks like I can't move limits between personal and business cards. "You can request to have a portion of your available credit transferred between two of your eligible consumer credit cards or two of your eligible business credit cards." Ouch. Now I need a new plan. 

I guess I will try the 3X request and submit the 4506T when it comes. Would rather wait a year before FR as 2012 was a spectacular year for me, AGI better than 2X what was on my applications. If that's the case I will be staying put where I am now, no new apps with AMEX, no card changes, no closing cards to wait for 12+ months for a churn opportunity. 

Bummed. 

Message 169 of 5,432
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Does the business card report on your personal credit reports?

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 170 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.