Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Financiers
Valued Member

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide Discussion Thread

I got denied for the 3x.  Not a big deal, but had some questions as to their reasoning.

Initial CL- 2700

Asked CL- 8100

Credit Score (from AMEX letter)- 742

Income- 24k (still in last year of college)

received 7-10 wait response and the letter said

- Overall debt with other creditors (PIF every month, except my student loans aren't being paid until after I graduate)

- Length of time with AMEX too short. (odd because this is the 3x, so I thought being a new customer was a given in these cases)

-Too many inquiries in the last 12 months (also find this odd because the last time I ran a report I only had 3 hard inquries I believe, two being from AMEX)

I realize that I am incredibly lucky to even have an AMEX while in college and this isn't terrible, I'll just try again when the time comes.  I am a little dissapointed however and was wondering what all of this meant so that I can change if necessary.

Message 521 of 5,432
jgodfrey82
Regular Contributor

MyFico/Other Handle: jgodfrey82
Initial CL: 6000
61 day/181 day CLI: (please indicate whether 61day/181day also) $18000 approved - 14 month old account, requested 3x at 11 months, denied, approved 90 days later
Amex Utilization @ CLI: ~22%
Overall Utilization @ Last EX Soft Pull: ~20%
Number of new credit lines opened since opening Amex account or last Amex CLI: 4
Total $$ value of all transactions since Amex account opening or last Amex CLI: $50,000 (1 year, includes costco te revolver and zync charge card, ~50/50)

I also don't ever mess around with paying before statement dates, I let full amounts post, and pay whatever I can on the revolver, and pif on the charge.

I was going to let another soft show on my experian, but UCF just won a bowl game and I was feeling froggy, so I jumped!

Message 522 of 5,432
Rackham94
Established Contributor

MyFico/Other Handle: rackham12
Initial CL: 1000
61 day/181 day CLI: (please indicate whether 61day/181day also) 61 day cli request to 3000 )7-10 day message -_- probably high util on Delta Skymiles
Amex Utilization @ CLI: ~45%
Overall Utilization @ Last EX Soft Pull: ~10%
Number of new credit lines opened since opening Amex account or last Amex CLI: 1
Total $$ value of all transactions since Amex account opening or last Amex CLI: $3600 (PRG mostly)

Message 523 of 5,432
Rackham94
Established Contributor

So is the 7-10 Day message ABSOLUTE denial or FR request?

Message 524 of 5,432
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Rackham94 wrote:

So is the 7-10 Day message ABSOLUTE denial or FR request?

It means it needs manual review. Good luck!

Message 525 of 5,432
crunchyfrog
New Visitor

Hi!  I'm excited to try for the 3x CLI soon and have a few questions.  Can someone help?  

I have a Costco TrueEarnings card with a credit limit of $5,000.  I've had the account since 2007 and have never asked for a CLI.  I always pay in full and have never had a late payment... until last month.  The holidays caught me off guard Smiley Sad  Anyway, called and had the $25 removed.  This month, I made the payment on time, as usual.

Should I go for the 3x CLI with this tiny blemish?  Or should I wait?  How long?  Since this is my primary card, my utilization is between 11%-13% on average.

Thanks!

Message 526 of 5,432
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@crunchyfrog wrote:

Hi!  I'm excited to try for the 3x CLI soon and have a few questions.  Can someone help?  

I have a Costco TrueEarnings card with a credit limit of $5,000.  I've had the account since 2007 and have never asked for a CLI.  I always pay in full and have never had a late payment... until last month.  The holidays caught me off guard Smiley Sad  Anyway, called and had the $25 removed.  This month, I made the payment on time, as usual.

Should I go for the 3x CLI with this tiny blemish?  Or should I wait?  How long?  Since this is my primary card, my utilization is between 11%-13% on average.

Thanks!

Sure, I'd got for it...  The worst they can say is no.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 527 of 5,432
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

@crunchyfrog wrote:

Thanks!

Sure, I'd got for it...  The worst they can say is no.

+1   You're going on your 7th year with Amex, with only this one small (corrected) blemish?  I say, gor for it  . . . !

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 528 of 5,432
joestay
Frequent Contributor

Just need to verify.  AMEX CLI is still soft pull right?

Message 529 of 5,432
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Just need to verify. AMEX CLI is still soft pull right?

@joestay wrote:

Yes

Message 530 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.