The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide Discussion Thread

@amit1326 wrote:

yessssss.. Smiley Very Happy

Just requested for CLI from 5500 to 15000Smiley Very Happy

got it approved Instantly .. in less than a minute.

Thanks to this Forum ... 

Thanks everyone ... 

Thumbs up!!  Painless CLI!!

Current myFico EX 734, EQ 777, TU 742
AAoA 6 years 3 months, Length 25 years 2 months

Message 551 of 5,432
GOldfishes
Contributor

Got my first 3x CLI on my SPG today. Wasn't really sure what day I was eligible so I tried last week and was too early then just tried again. Instant approval for full 3x, 2k->6k. Put an entry in my calendar for July for the 180 day 3x cli Smiley Wink 6k->18k would be pretty nice

Experian: 734 Equifax: 765 Transunion:776

BoA Cash Rewards($6500)|Fidelity Investment Rewards AMEX($5000)|Chase Freedom($4000)|
Chase Sapphire Preferred($6500)|Amex PRG ($NPSL)|Amex SPG($6000)|Amex Business Gold Rewards($NPSL)|Amex BCE ($10,200)|Citi AA Exec ($10,500)|
Message 552 of 5,432
Miscellamy
Contributor

Yahoo! Instant approval for my BCP 61-day 3x CLI! Went from $2500 to $7500. I've run over $3000 through the card, but have paid frequently to keep util low. Zero balance at CLI. Was a little nervous since I have 3 other new cards opened since this, but I've kept overall util below 9%. 

Message 553 of 5,432
ZoomZoom22
Valued Member

@MustangSaluki wrote:

@ZoomZoom22 wrote:

Sorry for my error in typing.   I meant 6 month mark as you correctly indicated, NOT 60 days.

To be more specific, my last CLI happend on the first week of June (let's call it June 6th).  At the 6 month mark (around December 6th) I intended to ask for my 6 month CLI following the guide.  They (Amex) upped my limit on their own barely prior (like December 2nd) to my 6 month mark  When my 6 month mark passed I tried to CLI near 3X but right after I put it my code from my card to enter my requested amount and annual income stuff I get that message that I am not eligible because I have received an increase in the past 30 days.  

So effectively a week before my 6 month CLI mark they (Amex) thrawted my 3x CLI request by giving me a 10.2% CLI increase without me asking for it and more importantly just before I was going to ask for a 3x CLI increase (300% or whatever they countered with).

Good times.

The other part of my question was answered that people here (at least that have read thus far) have not seen this happen.  It is worth noting that while I did not ask for the limp $4k increase they gave me, I received it through an email from Amex that said congrats we have upped your limit to $28,000.  Immediately wondered how that would have an effect on my planned 1 week later 3X CLI increase I intended to make.  Now I know the answer to that one.  It is one thing to get the "within 30 days my CL has increased denial, it is another if them tossing me the $4k increase has restarted a 181 day clock before I can request a 3X Smiley Sad

It does sound like a ripoff Smiley Happy Once again though I see that the message said "30 days" and maybe applicable to the scenarios where they autoCLI. Please try again 31 days after the rejection and let us know if a 3X works from that point! 

Above was posted by someone else in response to my issue I posted ^^

Update below from 1/17/2014:
I wanted to loop around on this issue and tell you where I am with it.
I got a nice letter from Amex that says they had received my request to increase my credit line, however it would require me completing the 4506T document (the one mentioned on this thread) with all my tax info.  It also indicated I must check the box for 2 years of tax returns being released.
I haven't decided yet whether I am going to send it in.  It would appear for now I am stuck on $28,800 limit I have that was moved from $24,500 as many also here got held down to.  I guess good I got beyond the $24.500 to the $28,800, but not the $60,000 I requested and almost no chance of a penny more unless I fill out the form and hand over 2 years of tax returns Smiley Sad

I am a high earner and while I have always told the truth on my income during the CLI request process, I don't know yet how I feel about Amex having a lot of my information from tax returns.  Seems they should just need a paystub or pay record, not all my tax return info Smiley Sad

Message 554 of 5,432
localuser
Regular Contributor

My 61st day is the 21st!!! I opened my account on 11/21Do you guys think I can get the 3X with this history?  (I know its a YMMV type of thing) I just PIF so hopefully they are gracious like Discover and see that I have been using the card but made very nice payments.  All but the $35 minimum payment the one time.  Im hovering right about 10% UTL

Cap1Secured $700 | Chase Slate $700 | Amazon Store $5000 | Discover IT $7000 | Lowe's $8000 | AmEx BCE $20000 | Freedom $3000
November 2014 (myFICOs): Equifax 717 TransUnion 725 Experian 717
January 2014 (myFICOs): Equifax 675 TransUnion 661 Experian 723
Message 555 of 5,432
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

I just got the 3x CLI!

Details below:

Initial CL: 2000
61 day/181 day CLI: (please indicate whether 61day/181day also) 6000 (right at Day 61)
Amex Utilization @ CLI: 13.8%
Overall Utilization @ Last EX Soft Pull: No idea
Ratio of Income/(Overall Available Credit) (4 decimal places): 4%
Number of new credit lines opened since opening Amex account or last Amex CLI: 2 (actually, the Discover card just started reporting after I opened Amex, and I got preapproved for Loft last month and took it).
Total $$ value of all transactions since Amex account opening or last Amex CLI: >1000 (since I wanted to get the bonus miles on the Amex Delta).

I was actually having second thoughts because of the 2 new accounts that reported and all my cards had a balance reported (all are PIF though by the due date) due to Christmas and Black Friday shopping. As for Amex, I always paid in full and never had util > 25% at a time (<10% before statement cuts).

Anyway, I am still waiting on Amex to report to the 3 bureaus. Question is, will they report the old CL or the new one?

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 556 of 5,432
localuser
Regular Contributor

Yay!!! I got it!

MyFico/Other Handle:
Initial CL: $4500
61 day/181 day CLI: (please indicate whether 61day/181day also) 61 day
Amex Utilization @ CLI: 0%
Overall Utilization @ Last EX Soft Pull: Have not occured
Ratio of Income/(Overall Available Credit) (4 decimal places): 4%
Number of new credit lines opened since opening Amex account or last Amex CLI: Zero
Total $$ value of all transactions since Amex account opening or last Amex CLI: $1094.47

I called the number on the back of my card, went over a few detials of income and boom from $4,500 > $13,500

Cap1Secured $700 | Chase Slate $700 | Amazon Store $5000 | Discover IT $7000 | Lowe's $8000 | AmEx BCE $20000 | Freedom $3000
November 2014 (myFICOs): Equifax 717 TransUnion 725 Experian 717
January 2014 (myFICOs): Equifax 675 TransUnion 661 Experian 723
Message 557 of 5,432
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

OK i'll have my first CLI day in March 23rd. I have some concerns here and need you guys advice plz!

1. I assumed the best utilization ratio is 1-9%. But should I just care about the ratio on my AMEX? Or I need to control my overall ratio (all cards)?

2. Is it better to leave a small balance (below 9%) on statement intentionally then PIF before due date? (I guess the balance/utilization on statement is what really affects my score...Correct me!)

3. I plan to apply two new cards (Discover and maybe Cap1) in late Feb to early March. Will those moves harm my CLI on AMEX? Should I wait until applying for CLI?

Thanks alot

Message 558 of 5,432
GFer
Valued Contributor

@vwgrrc wrote:

OK i'll have my first CLI day in March 23rd. I have some concerns here and need you guys advice plz!

1. I assumed the best utilization ratio is 1-9%. But should I just care about the ratio on my AMEX? Or I need to control my overall ratio (all cards)?

While 1-9% is good at any given time, the main importance of this is for the 'ideal score'.

2. Is it better to leave a small balance (below 9%) on statement intentionally then PIF before due date? (I guess the balance/utilization on statement is what really affects my score...Correct me!) Correct.

3. I plan to apply two new cards (Discover and maybe Cap1) in late Feb to early March. Will those moves harm my CLI on AMEX? Should I wait until applying for CLI?

You would be best served by getting your 3x CLI 1st (which is a soft pull SP, by the way).  Asking for a 3x CLI right after applying for two new TL's could raise a flag in that you're desperate for credit.

Thanks alot

Not to mention, that with a higher CL on the Amex might very reward you with higher CL's on the new cards!  Smiley Wink

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 559 of 5,432
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

@GFer wrote:

@vwgrrc wrote:

While 1-9% is good at any given time, the main importance of this is for the 'ideal score'.

2. Is it better to leave a small balance (below 9%) on statement intentionally then PIF before due date? (I guess the balance/utilization on statement is what really affects my score...Correct me!) Correct.

You would be best served by getting your 3x CLI 1st (which is a soft pull SP, by the way).  Asking for a 3x CLI right after applying for two new TL's could raise a flag in that you're desperate for credit.

Thanks alot

Not to mention, that with a higher CL on the Amex might very reward you with higher CL's on the new cards!  Smiley Wink

thanks. learned something!

Regarding to the last one, I know Discover in my area pulls EQ, which is different from EX used by AMEX. Does this mean i can apply Discover before my AMEX CLI and AMEX wouldn't know?  

One more question, general question. If I apply for multiple cards in 1 day, will the creditors know my other applications? What if I do that 1 week? 

Message 560 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.